Status: Updates to come

ToMoRrow

Chapter 5

"I have explained my grading policy clearly before each essay. The fact that you are still unable to comprehend something so basic is beyond my control," Octavia snapped.

"But it's not fair! I've never received such low grades, and if you keep failing Ron and Harry, they won't be able to play Quidditch," Granger responded. "And after everything that happened last year, Harry deserves to be able to play."

Octavia was nearing her last nerve. "I could care less about what happened to him last year, or any other year. As long as you continue allowing those two to copy your papers for my class, you will receive one letter grade lower than what you would have earned, and they will fail. Simple as that." At least, Octavia hoped, as she turned back to the bookshelf in front of her. But of course it couldn't be.

"I'm not letting them copy, I'm helping them with their homework. We have so many classes this year, and all the professors are piling on the homework, and Harry's worried because You-Know-Who is officially back. I'm just trying to help my friends," she whisper-yelled.

"There is a difference between helping and doing the work for them," Octavia responded, slowly turning back to the impudent girl in front of her. How easy it would be to just go into this girls mind and force her to shut up and walk away. Octavia wouldn't be putting her under the Imperius Curse, so it technically wouldn't be illegal. "If you continue to allow your friends to copy your homework, you will all continue to receive such poor grades. And to help encourage you to change your ways, fifty points shall be taken from Gryffindor for arguing with a professor," she added before Granger could say anything else. Perhaps it was a bit much to take away, but Granger had earned it herself.

"Fifty!? But..." the girl seemed at a loss for words.

"Ms. Granger, is there a reason why you are in the Restricted Section of the library?" Octavia recognized the voice behind her immediately.

"I was...I had to to," she stuttered out.

"Just because you are a sixth year does not mean you have permission to wander about the Restricted Section as you wish," Snape said. "Ten points from Gryffindor."

Granger's eyes widened. "But Professor Gardner just took fifty from Gryffindor!"

"Would you like me to take another ten?"

Eyes narrowed, Granger spun on her heal, stalking away.

Octavia leaned back against Snape as he rested his hands on her shoulders, feeling somewhat calmer already. "You missed supper," he said softly.

"I wasn't hungry," she replied, taking one last look at the books before her. "And I had something I needed to look for." If supper in the Grand Hall was finished, that meant the library was closing soon.

Snape didn't say anything, but led her down to the dungeon. It wasn't until they'd reached his chambers that he spoke. "What could you possibly be looking for that can't be found in the rest of the library?"

"Just some research for my spare time," Octavia answered carefully.

"It has to do with this, doesn't it?" he asked, pushing back her sleeve. The black ink seemed to come alive at his touch. "What does it mean?" he asked when she nodded.

"It has several meanings, but none that I can explain for now." He dropped her hand, walking away. "Severus, please understand. I want to tell you, but it's not safe right now," she pleaded, coming to stand behind him. And he might come to hate her for it.

He turned to face her. "Promise me you'll tell me when you can? Promise me you'll let me help if you need it."

Octavia looked up, meeting his eyes. She couldn't ask for his help, she couldn't pull him into this. "I promise, if you do the same." she answered anyways. "I know there are things you're hiding from me as well."

Severus's lips twitched in a small smile, wrapping his arms around her, pulling her close. Octavia forgot everything the moment his lips met hers. Her arms circled his neck as he deepened the kiss.

Eventually they pulled apart. "It's late already and we have classes to teach in the morning," Snape said reluctantly.

Octavia looked down, playing with the buttons of his coat. "True, but I'm not tired yet," she replied, looking back up at him, a small smile on her face.

Snape's smile matched hers as he pulled her in again.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next chapter may take longer than usual to get out because I'm getting ready to move and will need to find a job when I get there, but this story will be continued.

Thank you Awkwardly Obscured and Cyanide_Suicide_6661 for the comments. I can see I have more subscribers than that, so please leave a comment so I remain motivated to write this story.