Screaming Gestures

Chapter 2

Just as a reminder to all those who are reading. When the text is written in just bold lettering, “like this”, that is all conversation in sign language. Second, when I write a conversation between, say, CJ’s mom and her, CJ’s mom’s speech may not be bolded because she is speaking while she’s signing. I’m hoping it’s kind of just implied that if they’re talking to CJ they’re signing. Of course, that excludes those characters who don’t know ASL.

Also, if you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask. I’m no expert on those who are deaf, or ASL, but if you’re curious about something in the story, I will definitely be of assistance. I’ll probably get back to you pretty quickly. I don’t do much but work, eat, sleep, and write. So, yeah.

Okay, thanks, enjoy, bye. :D


!@#$#@!

~102 ~ 3551


I had spent the rest of the night tied up in my sheets, not wanting to face the world again. Just the thought of my mother taking my aunt’s advice about putting me in therapy was enough to make me certifiable. Maybe talking to my dead brother wasn’t the best idea. Not that it mattered. Carter hadn’t shown up last night, unless he did while I was asleep. I was still having a hard time believing that I had seen him.

I was supposed to be getting ready for my first day at Beacon Hills High. Instead, though, I was still trying to ignore the world. I rolled over onto my side to look at the boxes that were still stacked in front of my door. The boxes hadn’t budged which meant no one tried to get into my room last night. I was grateful for that at least. Even still, I was not ready to go to school surrounded by a bunch of new people who didn’t know me.

I stared at the door, waiting for the handle to start turning and my mother to make sure that I was awake and dressing myself. Just as that thought ran through my mind, the handle moved. I sighed, waiting for the door to open, at least as much as it could with the barrier I built. Unfortunately, the door did open, and just enough for my mother to stick her head inside.

Mom turned her head, seeing the boxes and looked back to me with an exhausted look on her face. “Chandler, move the boxes.”

I groaned. “No.”

“You have to go to school.” Mom said. “Please don’t make me get your father.”

I was pretty sure my father wouldn’t do anything. I liked to think he was okay with me moping around the house for a little bit. It’s only been a week since Carter’s death. I was allowed to feel a little depressed over my best friend dying.

“Chandler…” My mom warned.

I sighed, rolling out of bed and moving the boxes from in front of the door. I started to walk back to my bed, but I felt my mom’s hand on my arm.

“Oh, no.” She signed. “You need to take a shower.” Mom pushed me into my bathroom, starting the shower for me. “Please, take a shower. I’ll set something out for you.” And then she left me.

I rubbed my fingers over my eyes, still trying to wake up. I took my shower anyway, and exitted my bathroom with my towel around me. I saw a dress laid out on my bed. No way was I going to wear that. Of course, when I went downstairs, my mom was surprised to see me wearing jeans and a tshirt.

“What happened to the dress I laid out?” Mom asked.

“Wasn’t feeling it.” I signed, moving to the counter in search of my cereal box.

Mom stood next to me, facing me. “But it was so pretty. It’ll make your eyes pop.”

I turned to Mom after sighing. “I don’t need a dress to make my eyes pop.” I snarked. I joined my father at the kitchen table, not wanting to start a fight with her over a dress.

My father waved his hand, getting my attention away from my breakfast. “Are you ready for your first day?”

I shook my head. “Can’t I hold off? Just another week?”

Dad let out a long breath. He was about to open his mouth to answer when my mother stepped up beside him.

“All you’ll be doing is spending that week in bed. It’s better if you just go. You need to get yourself out there.”

“Carter - ”

Mom shook her hand at me. “Carter would want you to move on.”

I glared up at her, but then turned back down to my dad. I raised my brow to him.

“You should go.” Dad signed.

I looked back to my cereal bowl, suddenly not hungry anymore. I stood back up, throwing my bowl into the sink.

“CJ?”

I turned to face him. “Will you drive me?”

Dad debated with himself and then silently with my mother. Eventually he stood and grabbed his suit jacket from the back of his chair, shrugging it on. “I should get to the office early today, anyway. While I’m glad the firm welcomed me back, I’ve got some catching up to do.”

My mother leaned over, kissing my father’s cheek. “I’ll see you for dinner.” She turned to me. “And I’ll see you after school. Good luck.”

I nodded at her with my mouth in a straight line. Sure, I needed all the luck I could get. I led the way out to my father’s car and sat in the passenger seat. I glanced over at Carter’s car that sat in the driveway. Silently, I wondered why we still had it. It wasn’t at all driveable. It was a complete wreck and probably an eyesore in the eyes of the Homeowner’s Association. I know I didn’t like seeing it. It was only a reminder.

I was thankful that my dad was quiet as he drove through the empty streets of Beacon Hills. I’m glad he knew I didn’t want to talk.

All too soon, he pulled up in front of the high school.

I stared up at the entrance, really dreading going through the double doors and to this stupid, new school.

Dad noticed my hesitation and put the car in park.

I could feel his eyes on me while my eyes stayed on the school. I sighed.

Dad tapped me on the shoulder, gaining my attention. “We can skip if you want to. We’ll go do something fun.” He offered. “Just you and me.”

I appreciated the gesture. “It’s not worth the trouble from Mom. She’ll find out and then go crazy from being left out.”

“Good point.” Dad laughed. “Mom said you talked to Lydia last night. You could go in and find her.”

“I don’t think we fit in the same crowd. We may have gotten along seven years ago, but we’re strangers now.”

“Just give it a shot. For me?”

I nodded at him.

Dad smiled. He leaned over and kissed my forehead.

I curled up the corner of my lip and put my hand on the door.

Dad stopped me one last time, though. “You do know you have to do some talking. There probably aren’t many other’s who sign.”

“I know.” I sighed. “A girl can hope though, right?”

“Right.” Dad nodded. “Are you sure you don’t want an interpreter?”

I scoffed. That was the last thing I needed. I was already the new girl. I didn’t want to be branded the new, weird, deaf girl with a lackey following her around.

“Okay.” He pushed his flat palms out in front of him. “Calm down. It was just a suggestion.”

“It was a stupid suggestion. I’m gonna go now.”

“Try to have a good day.”

“I will.” I finally pushed myself out the car door. I stood in front of the car, looking up at the school. I turned back to my dad.

“I love you.”

“Me too.” I took a deep breath, finally taking the rest of the steps towards the school. I was running a little late from my protesting the day. There were very little people in the hallways, so I had a hard time finding the front office to get my schedule. Thankfully, I found it. I entered the room, standing at the front desk.

“Just a second, sweetheart.” The lady behind the desk said.

I waited for a couple moments, looking around the office. There were flyers for activities hanging on a bulletin board, as well as a couple missing persons posters.

“Alright, what can I do for you?”

I raised my arms, ready to tell her what I needed, but then remembered I wasn’t at my old school. Nobody knew how to sign here. I sighed. “My name is Chandler Parker. I need to pick up my class schedule.”

The secretary typed into her computer and the printer beside her started to spit out a piece of paper. The lady handed me the paper. “Good luck, hun.” She said, before turning back to her computer.

I furrowed my brow at the woman. Was that all I was going to get. A good luck and a push out the door? Not that I was expecting a freaking welcome wagon, but I thought I’d at least get a tour. I looked down wondering when the first bell was supposed to ring. I groaned, realizing that the bell chimed while I was waiting on the secretary to help me. I rushed down the hallways, dodging slow bodies easily, in search of my classroom.

Excitingly enough, I had English first period. If anything, this was the silver lining to my day. Of course, that was ruined when I entered the classroom. Two seats were empty and a tall brunette was debating between them. One of the seats was up front, the other was towards the back. I needed the front seat.

Unfortunately, the girl looked to the boy sitting between the two desks and asked about the one in front of him.

I sighed deeply and lowered my head. Maybe the silver lining meant absolutely nothing with a seat in the back. I looked around the room, finding my cousin sitting next to the window. The boy next to her seemed to notice I was new and he wouldn’t stop staring.

I kept my gaze down and moved to the only empty desk. As I sat, my phone vibrated. I groaned, thinking it was my mom telling me to make it a great day. But when I pulled it out, the text was from a number I didn’t know.

“The offing was barred by a black bank of clouds and the tranquil waterway, leading to the uttermost ends of the earth, closed somber under an overcast sky, seemed to lead into the heart of an immense darkness.”

What a weird text. I looked up from my phone and saw that the teacher had entered and was reading the passage on her own phone.

The boy in front of me, passed a book to me and I took it with a nod.

I reached into my bag and pulled out one of my notebooks for class. I opened it, and started to copy the last line from my phone to my notes. Before I could reach the end of my passage, there was a tap to my shoulder. I looked up to see my teacher standing there, with her arms crossed. I was like a deer caught in headlights.

The teacher said something to me but I didn’t catch it.

I was distracted by the embarrassment I felt from being caught. I panicked, looking around at the room. My eyes met with Lydia. I gave her a pleading look, hoping she would catch on.

Lydia took out her phone and typed on the screen quickly.

My phone buzzed on the desk and I looked down at it, while my teacher was still trying to talk to me.

“She’s saying no phones. And that she didn’t want to start the semester bad.” It must have been a text from Lydia. How she got my phone number I will never know.

I looked back up at my teacher. The look on her face was one that I could compare to my mother when she was mad at me. I help my fist against my chest and moved it in a circle. “Sorry.” I said. “I was just trying to - ”

“Break my rules?” The teacher asked.

“Rules?” I furrowed my brow, looking at Lydia again.

Lydia sighed. She spoke and raised her hand.

The teacher turned to face Lydia.

I watched Lydia’s lips closely.

“She can’t hear you.”

The teacher looked back at me with a raised brow, trying to figure out if it was a joke or not.

Lydia edged me on.

I sighed. “I’m deaf.” I signed at her, before speaking it. “If I can’t see your lips, I can’t understand you.” Not five minutes in and I’d already managed to make a spectacle of myself.

The teacher made an ‘o’ with her mouth. “I’m sorry.” She said. “Don’t you have a translator?”

“An interpreter.” I corrected. “And no. It’s a personal choice.”

The teacher nodded. She turned back to the front of the class and made her way towards the blackboard. She was talking, and of course, I couldn’t see her lips, so I had no idea what she was saying.

I groaned, crossing my arms on my desk and slamming my head down onto it. This was going to be harder than I thought. I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked up to see the boy in front of me, facing me. I furrowed my brow at him.

The boy enunciated clearly, pointing to my pen and notebook. “Can I?”

I nodded slowly at him.

He grabbed my pen and spun my notebook around. When the boy moved his hand, I saw he had written a few chapter numbers followed by a question.

I looked at him questioningly.

“It’s the assignment.” He said to me.

My jaw dropped, shocked by his helpfulness. “Thank you.” I signed.

He smiled at me. “You’re welcome.” He turned back to face the front of the room.

I sighed, thankful to have a couple people on my side. Lydia, for helping me explain to the teacher. And for the kid in front of me, for whoever he was, helping me figure out what I was supposed to do.

I opened my book and started reading. My mind trailed off thinking of how the rest of my day might go. Honestly, I wished the kid in front of me could follow me to all of my classes and be my saving grace. Unfortunately, the second that I thought that, I noticed his movements. He grabbed his backpack and left the room, the teacher following after him.

Lydia must have noticed my stress because I received another text from her. “We should study together. I’ll help you with this, if you teach me ASL.”

“Seriously?”

“Seriously.”

I looked over at her. “Thank you.”

Lydia nodded.

The boy next to Lydia seemed to notice our conversation and whipped his head towards her.

Thankfully, I lost myself in the book again and I planned on staying there until class was over. Of course, something drew my attention back towards the class. Everyone was looking towards the windows. I followed their eyes and saw a red spot on the window. Outside it, there were so many birds that were outside the window. They were all heading in the direction of the school. I looked over at Lydia, who looked back at me briefly.

After that, the first bird of many hit the classroom windows. They all just started hitting the windows with so much force that I could almost feel the classroom shaking. A few of them started breaking windows.

I grabbed my phone and texted my mom. “Emergency at the school.”

I hid myself under my desk, crouching down and covering my head with my arms. I could tell myself that it was okay. Part of me know that it wasn’t. I tried to look up to see what was going on. Birds were flying all over the classroom. I felt a sting on my head and put my fingers to it. Great. Blood. It’d probably be better if I just stayed uncurious about everything that was happening. I felt my hands getting scratched up. Scratched hands is better than a scratched face.

Another few minutes passed and I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Lydia.

“CJ, are you okay?”

I nodded. “I’m okay.”

Lydia pulled on my arm to help me up. She took a look at me, noticing the gash on my forehead. Lydia gasped. “Oh, my god.” She turned to the boy next to her.

The boy left, coming back with a tissue and a bandaid.

Lydia took the tissue from the boy and wiped at the cut on my forehead. “I guess you’re not really okay.”

“I’m okay.” I signed. “It’s just a scratch.”

The boy tapped Lydia on the shoulder. “I’m gonna call my dad.” he said, before stepping away from us.

Lydia put the bandaid on my head.”Okay. There you go.”

“Thank you.”

“Do you want me to stay with you?”

I shook my head. “No, you go. Be with…” I motioned towards the boy on the phone.

Lydia followed my gesture. “Who? Stiles?”

I furrowed my brow, not really sure what she’d said. “Who?”

Lydia pulled out her phone and typed something.

“Stiles?” I questioned. “Is that a name?”

Lydia smiled and nodded. “It’s a little strange, isn’t it?”

“A little?”

Lydia’s attention go caught by something behind me, towards the classroom entrance. She waved. “It’s your mom.”

“What?” I turned around, seeing my mom coming towards me. I groaned silently. When I texted her, I hadn’t expected her to come storming into my classroom. I dropped my chin.

Lydia waved her hand at me. “I’m gonna go.” She said, jerking her thumb behind her.

I nodded at her. “Thank you.”

Lydia nodded and went over to stand next to the brown haired girl.

Mom placed her hand on my shoulder and turned me to look at her. “What the hell happened?” She signed.

“I don’t know. The birds they just - ”

Mom stopped me, shaking her hand. “How did this happened?”

I scoffed at her. “You think I know why these random birds decided to fly into my classroom and destroy everything.”

“Chandler, that’s not what I meant.”

“Sure.”

Mom took a deep breath. “Are you okay?” She signed.

“I’m okay.”

“Are you sure? You’re not hurt? Do you need to go to the hospital?”

“No, I’m okay.”

“We can just go see your doctor if you need to.”

“Mom!” I shouted, getting everyone’s attention in the room. I felt my face flare up in a scarlet mess. I let out a large breath. “I just want to go home.”

“Okay. Let’s get you home.” She turned to find Lydia. “Lydia, do you want a ride home?”

Lydia shook her head no.

“I turned away, packing up my things. I looked towards the door, seeing the sheriff come in. I also saw my mom approach the man. I sighed. Now, she was going to complain to the man about how he may have let this happen. I threw my backpack onto my shoulder and walked up to my mom. I grabbed her arm and tried to pull her away. “Mom, let’s go.”

Mom pat my arm. “Just a second.”

I gave the sheriff an apologetic look.

The man nodded, looking to my forehead. He noticed the bandage and pointed to it. “Are you okay?”

I nodded and tried to pull my mother along again. Thankfully, she came along this time, but not before passing her card off to the sheriff. I rolled my eyes at the action and pushed her out the door. A few steps down the hallway and I realized I forgot my phone on my desk. I stopped and turned back.

Mom grabbed my arm, wondering what I was doing.

“I forgot my phone. Just stay here.” I begged of her, rushing back towards my classroom. As I turned into the room, I ran into someone. “Oh, my gosh. I am so sorry.” I looked up at who I’d hit. It was Lydia’s friend, Stiles.

Stiles was saying something, but his mouth was moving way too fast for me to understand.

I put my hand out to stop him. “I can’t understand you when you’re talking so fast.”

He paused. “Uh, right. I just - ” Stiles looked down at his hands and remembered what he was doing. “You forgot your phone.”

I saw it in his hand and grabbed it. “Thank you.” I went to turn away, but he stopped me.

“I’m Stiles.”

I nodded. “I know. Lydia’s boyfriend.”

Stiles laughed, getting nervous all of a sudden. He shook his head. “No. Not boyfriend. Yeah, I don’t think that’ll ever happen. We’re just friends.”

I felt my face heat up. “I’m sorry. I just assumed. I’m CJ.” I looked back into the classroom, seeing the sheriff talking to the teacher. “I gotta go. But could you tell the sheriff I’m sorry.”

“Sorry? For what?”

“I’m pretty sure my mom was yelling at him.” I told him. “And when she’s upset, she kinda goes off.”

“Yeah, thanks. I’ll tell him at home.” Stiles agreed.

“Home?”

Stiles nodded. “He’s my dad.”

“Oh, right.” I said, not that I had already knew that. “Well, I’m gonna go.” I turned away without waiting for a response.

First, birds fly through my window. Then, my Mom embarrasses the crap out of me. And the icing on the cake, I embarrass myself in front of the sheriff’s kid. I knew I shouldn’t have come today. Mostly because I couldn’t get Carter out of my head. I really wish he would show up soon.