Status: In Progress! Updates weekly!

Endlessly

Take Me To Church.

Sunday.

"Please? I swear it isn't as bad as you make it out to be." Alex is literally on his knees begging for this one. He knew going into this that Jack would be a hard nut to crack. Going with Alex to pray was one thing, but Jack going to church was an entirely different thing. "You don't even have to worship! We can sit in the back and no one will watch what you're doing."

"I'd rather go to hell...as a soul." He deadpans.

"Just once!" Alex takes Jack's hand in between his own. "I'll never ask you to go again if you hate it as much as you think you will."

"Why?" He whines.

Alex's face is dead serious. "Because it's important to me. If we're going to keep kissing and cuddling and such - which I hope we will, while we're on the subject - then I want you to be in every part of my life."

Using their already intertwined hands as leverage, Jack pulls Alex up and into a hug. "There's nothing that will get me out of this, is there?" He sighs. The feeling of a smile against his shoulder while Alex shakes his head gives him a warm feeling inside. "Wait, didn't your parents leave for church like an hour ago?"

Seeing Alex's grin when he pulls back a little only intensifies the warmth. "Yeah, but they go to the early service. I'm taking you somewhere different, anyways. I figured we could give them their space for at least this once."

Jack is astounded by Alex's thoughtfulness. It's probably nothing to angels and maybe even humans, but coming from a world of demons, putting other peoples' needs above one's own is practically unheard of.

"Alright, I won't fight you." Jack surrenders. "But," He props Alex's chin on his fingers. "Afterwards I get to kiss you all day. Got it?"

Probably unconsciously, Alex's tongue darts out and swipes across his lips. "I think that could be arranged...as long as it's just kissing."

Jack rolls his eyes but presses a chaste kiss to Alex's mouth. "Just kissing." Both find it hard to pull away, ,but seconds later they find the strength. "Now," Jack huffs. "What the hell does one wear to church?"

***

Alex tunes Jack's radio to the Christian station on the way to church, only pausing in singing along to give Jack directions. He claims it puts him in the right attitude before he steps inside the sanctuary. All Jack can think while driving that he's probably the first demon in history to willingly enter a church.

When they pull into the church parking lot, Jack breaks into a sweat. He finds it odd, as it isn't too hot out and he's in a short-sleeved polo and khakis. He chalks it up to nerves until they're out of the car and Alex grabs his hand to drag him inside. As they get closer and closer to the building, Jack's temperature only seems to rise. When they reach the front steps at the entrance, it's so hot to the demon that he feels he might actually pass out. It's only then that it clicks for him.

Why the hell hadn't he remembered this before?

"Alex." Jack pants, stopping the angel. "I can't go in there."

Seemingly oblivious to Jack's ailment, he simply furrows his eyebrows. "What are you talking about? I told you you don't need to be nervous."

"It's not that." He gasps, loosening the top button of his polo. "I seriously can't go in."

"Oh no, you're not getting out of this one." Alex is still smiling. He still hasn't realized the literal danger Jack is in from being here. Jack isn't expecting Alex to pull him, so when Alex gives him a rather hard tug in the direction of the sanctuary, he stumbles over the stairs.

Jack's shrill scream gets the attention of everyone in the vicinity, but all he cares about is getting Alex's hand off of his and back outside the church. His left forearm is blistering and going bright red. Alex is frozen as Jack pulls away so hard that he falls backwards and lands hard on the cement. Alex has never seen a demon cry before, but there's tears in the corners of Jack's eyes as he cradles his arm to his chest. Seeing the injured arm is what reminds Alex.

"Fuck, shit. Jack!" He rushes to the demon's side. "Let me see."

"You've done enough." Jack hisses. His voice seems different, deeper and commanding in nature. It's a bit scary, in all honesty.

"What happened here? Are you both okay?" A man in a suit rushes to the couple and looks them over. "How did you get that?" The man's eyes widen at seeing Jack's arm.

"He burnt it last night. Spilled grease." Alex says immediately. For an angel, he can be a smooth liar when he needs to be.

"Why isn't it bandaged, then? It looks fresher than that to me..." He's onto them. He's so totally onto them. "I'm Pastor Urie, by the way. Come on, come inside. I have a big first aid kit in my office, and my wife's a retired nurse. We should be able to fix you right up."

"Thanks for the offer, but I think we'll just go home." Alex glances at Jack and pales. "He looks really sick, so maybe he just needs rest."

"And what better place to rest than a house of the Lord? You've driven all the way out here; it would be a shame to see you go before you even come inside. Come on, just a few minutes, even." The pastor pushes, giving Jack wary looks. He must know.

"Please, Alex. I just need to go home." Jack plays pathetic, whimpering and leaning into the angel. He tries to shake the nausea off. The last thing he needs right now is to throw up. "We can come back another week, I swear, but I can't do this. I don't want to puke all over their floors, which I'm starting to think might happen."

Lips press against Jack's burning, sweaty forehead. "Yeah, you're burning up. Can you stand?" Jack gets to his feet with minimal help, but once he's on two feet he relies heavily on Alex for help staying upright. "We really are sorry, pastor. We'll definitely return when Jack here is feeling better. This seems like a wonderful congregation and it's good to know how much you care." Jack knows Alex is just playing his part, but he really wishes he would shut the fuck up so they can go home already. He feels like he might pass out and he still has to drive home because even as sick as he feels, there's no way in hell he's letting anyone drive his car.

And he keeps that resolution until he has to pull over for the second time to throw up and his vision is so blurry he can't even get up.

"Come on, there's a plastic bag in the backseat and you can sleep for a few minutes." Alex coaxes as he practically picks Jack up. Jack mumbles incoherently for the entire drive to the Barakat home, where they'd returned to two nights ago, and Alex does his best to reply with noncommittal answers and soothe Jack as he gets sick for a third time.

Alex knows when he parks that there's no way he'll be able to get Jack inside and upstairs with the state he's in. "Jack?" Alex asks softly. When he receives no response, he puts his hand on Jack's thigh and squeezes. "Baby, I'll be right back, okay? I'm going to get your parents so we can get you inside." Alex blushes when he realizes the pet name slipped off his tongue, and he's off as soon as he hears a grunt of acknowledgment from Jack, suddenly glad he's not very coherent.

Alex has never walked into the Barakat house alone, but he's left with no choice. He feels uncomfortable barging in and shouting for Joyce and Bassam, but Jack's needs overrule his awkwardness. When Alex explains the situation, Joyce calls for a maid who apparently used to be a nurse and the four of them rush back to the street where Alex parked the car. Bassam doesn't even try to keep his comments on how stupid the boys were to himself.

The maid-nurse, with the help of Bassam, gets Jack upstairs and into his bed, but that's as far as they can help. "I can bring back some medicines, at least, to make him more comfortable." The small woman suggests.

"No, that won't be needed. I don't think it would work, anyway. Jack's more demon than human now, and demons aren't affected by human medication." Joyce tells her. "Alex, you can take care of Jack, right? The only thing we can really do right now is make sure he's as comfortable as possible and let this blow over."

The angel nods without meeting their eyes. This is all his fault; the least he can do is play doctor until Jack's better.

As soon as the room is clear, Alex sits on the bed and rubs Jack's shoulder. He's trying to avoid looking at the front of Jack's shirt or breathing in too deeply; the few times he missed his target is more than obvious. "Jack? Are you sleeping?"

"No." His voice is raspy and weak, a stark contrast to the one he wore at the church. He doesn't even try to open his eyes.

"Do you want to get changed?" Alex asks, praying for a 'yes.'

Jack bites his lip and his eyes squeeze shut tightly. "It hurts to move." His whispers, and his breath catches in his throat. "I don't think I have enough energy to change," he whimpers. "But I feel so disgusting."

Alex knows his next thought is a bad idea before he even voices it, but he can't help but want to make this poor guy feel even a little bit better. "Maybe...I could change you?"

There's no banter or smirk from Jack - hell, there's barely even a nod of consent - which only alerts Alex to how sick he really is. He tells himself he'll call his parents as soon as he gets Jack settled. Angels are natural healers, and Peter Gaskarth is one of the best doctors in the country.

All Alex wants to do is remove Jack's pants and let his wings out, but it's hard when every time he's moved even a little he moans in pain. The angel tries to ignore it, but he's trained to listen for these sounds, to help people in pain. Every noise that comes from Jack's mouth breaks his heart a little bit more. The ordeal only takes about five minutes, but when Jack is rolled to his back for the final time, sweat beads down his face and Alex is on the verge of tears. He's not sure that the kiss he presses on a burning cheek is more to soothe himself or Jack. He is surprised, though, that Jack hasn't once made a snappy comment or even a curse since his hand entered the church.

"Aren't you angry?" Alex's voice wavers as he asks.

The demon opens an eye to take in his Angel. "I'm pissed the fuck off." He says, voice faded. "But it's just as much my fault as it is yours, and I'm in too much pain to bitch at you right now, especially after all you've done to help me. Now, get over here and comfort me. If you think I'm not milking this 'I'm-sick-and-need-attention' thing, you're very wrong."

His mouth forms a small joking smile that relieves Alex and his hand moves just a little to pat the mattress beside him. If he's starting to act like himself again, Alex can handle a sick Jack he decides, rolling into bed next to the demon and letting Jack cuddle into his arms.

"I wouldn't expect anything less."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading and commenting! It makes me excited to continue! :)