Status: happy holidays <3

Fool's Holiday

Never Again

After offering a couple more various other gestures, Jack decides it’s time for him to finally talk to Alex. It’s the beginning of November, and it’s perfect, Jack thinks, because maybe things will be normal by December, and maybe he can give Alex the holidays he deserves. He goes over to Ella’s house on a day she’s out, but assures Alex is home. Jack decides to walk this time, and he thinks about how easy it would be to turn around and head straight home all the way there. He doesn’t, though, because he wants to see Alex. He misses Alex.

The pitter patter of Jack’s heart matches that of Alex’s footsteps, as Alex makes his way to open the door. When it’s swung open and Jack finally gets to see Alex for the first time, he’s surprised by how much his body actually doesn’t want to see Alex, lunging forward instead to wrap him up in a hug, the younger man buried under his arms and held against his chest.

“I’ve missed you so much,” Jack murmurs, not letting him go.

“Hello to you, too,” Alex chuckles, and it’s muffled against Jack’s shirt, but it’s the best thing Jack’s heard in almost a year. “I’ve missed you, too.”

As Jack releases Alex, a thought runs through his head. “Hey, you’re not wearing your binder, are you?”

Alex shakes his head, his eyes glinting. “Nope. I had the surgery back home.”

“That’s great,” Jack grins, “I’m so happy for you.”

“Thanks,” Alex shrugs, “Everything’s been a whole lot better and easier.”

“That’s great,” Jack repeats, following Alex into the kitchen, and sitting across from him at the table. They’re silent once again, almost as if their energetic greeting had used up all of the things they had ready to say, until Jack says, “You said you missed me. If you missed me, why did you go?”

Alex laughs lightly at the way Jack phrases his words. He sounds like a child asking their parent why they left them alone at their grandparent’s house for the weekend. “I didn’t miss you until a bit after I left. That’s how it works, Jack. Time makes you realize your mistakes, and I’m hoping it’s the same for you.”

“Definitely,” Jack nods his head seriously. “You’ve given me more time to think than I thought was actually possible for my brain to go on for.”

Alex smiles at Jack’s comment, before asking, “Does that mean you know you weren’t treating me well?”

“It does,” Jack sighs, “And I’m really sorry.”

“Thank you,” Alex hums, looking for Jack to say something else. He always does.

“Is this why you came back?” Jack questions, and Alex shakes his head, his lips pursed.

“No,” Alex explains, “I really wasn’t anticipating this at all.”

“But do you like where it’s going?” Jack grins, leaning onto the back of the couch as he looks at the brown haired boy.

“Where is it going, exactly?” Alex says, his eyebrow arched.

“Well,” Jack sits up again, giving Alex his full attention. “I was hoping we could try this again. Our relationship, I mean.”

“I think it’d be dumb not to give it another chance,” Alex replies, and Jack just about bounces off of his chair. “The way we can talk to each other so normally after almost a year of not talking at all is prove of it. Just don’t be a fool this time, okay?”

When Jack is twenty six, he decides he wants to marry Alex. He’s not sure whether it’s the snowy, early December air that brings the feeling on, the bright lights that decorate the entire city, or the Christmas music that can be constantly heard anywhere. All three, perhaps, are valid options, but Jack settles on the fact that it’s the way Alex’s mittened hand grasps on to his, pulling and weaving him through the crowds of people at the shops as he occasionally turns around with the biggest smile on his face, which really moves him.

Jack decides he wants to propose to Alex after his birthday, so he can give Alex an amazing celebration for that, first. He takes Alex out to dinner and a movie on December fourteenth, surprising him with snacks and his favourite video games when they get back to their home. They moved back to Baltimore together not long after getting back together, and they were able to find a suitable house for themselves there.

One night, while Jack and Alex are walking down town, Alex suddenly loses Jack. He spins around and looks everywhere for him, he swears they were holding hands just a moment ago, and he’s just about to pull his phone out of his pocket to call his boyfriend when a certain voice makes him look up. Jack is stood on the edge of the fountain, and he’s looking right at Alex. When he notices he’s finally got Alex’s attention, he speaks loud enough for everyone in the square to hear him.

“Alex, you know you mean more to me than anyone-” Jack starts, and Alex walks over to him quickly, scolding him to get down. Jack ignores him. “I’ve ever met. I don’t deserve you at all, yet, somehow, you still want to be with me, and I want to make a moment of it completely worth it. Alex, will you-”

“Shut up, Jack,” Alex laughs, tugging Jack’s leg and causing him to stumble forward, off of the ledge. “You’re making a scene.”

“That’s the point!” Jack says, and Alex shakes his head, rolling his eyes.

“You’re lucky I didn’t push you backwards.” Jack pouts at this.

“So it that a no?” He asks, biting his lips.

“For now,” Alex nods.

The second attempt Jack makes is at a ‘casual’ get together at the lake, which Jack really planned himself. All of their friends are there, even Jack’s siblings and a couple of their cousins. Their plan is to set off a few fireworks, to get them in the spirit for Christmas and New Years. Having been told this, Alex is totally not expecting Jack to bend down on one knee in front of him as the first of the fireworks were set off, all of their loved ones circled around them and cooing.

“Alex-” Jack isn’t able to finish his sentence, having barely pulled the small, black velvet box out of his pocket when Alex shakes his head.

“No, Jack.” Alex smiles kindly, helping Jack up and pressing a soft kiss to his lips.

“Not yet?” Jack asks with a chuckle, and Alex nods his head, glad the blush on his cheeks isn’t very visible under the night sky. No one’s very disappointed with Alex’s answer, as most of the people there have a history of their relationship. No one’s angry at Alex for ruining Jack’s plans, especially not Jack. If anything, Alex’s answers only push him in the right direction.

Eventually, Christmas comes, and Jack still hasn’t been able to slip a ring onto Alex’s finger. He’s sitting on the couch with his boyfriend, watching holiday movies, when he sighs to himself.

“What’s wrong, sweetheart?” Alex asks, and Jack smiles at how caring he always is.

“I’m thinking about you, and how you keep saying no.” Jack answers, watching the way Alex smiles lightly.

“Oh, yeah? And what about it?” He asks, and Jack rolls his eyes fondly.

“I don’t get it. Won’t you just marry me?” Jack says, and he’s surprised when Alex nods his head.

“Yes, Jack,” he grins coyly, “I’ll marry you.”

Jack’s so ecstatic that he doesn’t even find time to get mad at Alex, doesn’t even bother to comment on how lame it was for Alex to wait until Jack finally proposed casually. Instead, he bolts to find the ring he’d had for a month now, wondering in the meantime why he’d never thought of just simply asking Alex to marry him. Jack jogs back into the living room as fast as he can, kneeling in front of the couch beneath his now fiancé, and slipping the ring onto his finger. Alex meets him with a kiss, and they both smile into it.

“Merry Christmas, baby. I love you.” Jack murmurs, as Alex giggles softly.

“You too, silly.”
♠ ♠ ♠
there you go!!! that's it! the end :^) happy holidays once again, and don't forget to let me know what you think! thanks for reading <3