Status: Fin.

Under the Mistletoe

Under the Mistletoe

There was only the soft scratching of pencil lead against paper as he crossed out a box on his calendar, beginning to welcome a new day – Christmas Eve.

However, this wouldn't be his typical December 24th, this would be one he had to make unforgettable. After all, this would be his and Carese's first Christmas together as a couple, and he just knew he was going to have to make this special for her.

“Today's the day,” he sighed, soon clapping his hands together and walking towards his bathroom.

After having hopped in and out of a shower and gotten dressed, he walked into his apartment's living room to hear the familiar tone of his doorbell. He stood before the small monitor and saw Carese standing there, staring right back at him through the camera's lens.

And as if she could actually see him through it, she smiled knowingly and said through her laughter, “Chanyeol, hurry up and let me in!”

He smiled and nodded, almost forgetting that she couldn't see him, and walked down the small hallway towards the front door, unbolting it before letting it smoothly swing open. Carese's bright smile greeted him and he let his arms stretch out, welcoming her warmly, and she gladly allowed herself to be embraced as she walked into them.

He could feel the chill from outside still lingering in the fabric of her jacket, and his arms rubbed her back to help warm her up, his voice murmuring, “Jeez, Carese, you're still cold.”

“Well, it is winter,” she reminded teasingly.

He pulled away, giving her a playful glare. “Just hurry up and come inside so you can warm up,” he told her with a grin.

His arms guided her into his flat, and when they entered his living room, his hands peeled her jacket from her body. “Do you want some hot chocolate?” He asked.

“Oh, that sounds good!” She flopped onto the couch, wasting no time to get comfy.

She took the bait.

“How about cookies?”

“Dessert for breakfast? Even better,” she nodded.

“Okay, but only if you help me bake them.”

“Bake?” Her eyebrows furrowed together curiously, a smile spreading across her lips.

“You heard me,” he nodded. “Let's bake them.”

“Sounds fun,” she laughed, rising from the sofa and heading on over to the kitchen with him.

“I figured you might want to do something like this together,” he confessed, “and since it's Christmas, I thought cookies would be the best thing to make.”

Carese planted a soft kiss upon his cheek. “Good thinking,” she praised. “Why don't I get everything we need together while you start mixing the ingredients?”

“Yes, ma'am,” he returned the earlier gesture as his lips met her soft cheek.

As Carese went to go pre-heat the oven to the correct temperature and scavenge through the drawers for a baking sheet, Chanyeol hurriedly rushed towards his fridge and food cabinets, pulling out all the items needed for mixing before getting to work.

He was thankful that he had done his homework prior to today, otherwise he most definitely wouldn't have had all the ingredients for the cookies. He had been planning for today the entire week, and he was sure that it was all going to go off without a hitch for the amount of time he'd put into it. It just had to.

Their first Christmas Eve had to be perfect.

“Aha!” Carese shouted victoriously from one of the bottom cubbies, pulling out a baking sheet and waving it in the air. “I finally found one!”

Chanyeol shook his head in disbelief at how cutely she was acting, his hands reaching for the few small bowls he'd prepared that had the salt, flour, and baking powder within them, picking up the salt in one hand and the flour in another and dumping them in. “You know,” he started, trying to bite back his ever growing smile, “you could have just asked me where one was.”

She put down the baking tray onto the counter and put her hands on her hips as Chanyeol went to go add the baking powder. “Alright then, where's your parchment paper?”

Chanyeol stopped his arm from reaching the baking powder and looked to her. “It's on the top shelf of the cabinet,” he explained. “I'll need to get it down so why don't you come finish this?”

Carese nodded and they switched places. As Chanyeol began to retrieve the parchment paper, Carese mixed the bowl while watching him do so, not knowing that they had yet to add the baking powder as she walked to his side when he got what they needed down.

After placing a sheet onto the metal tray, they began to eagerly place dollops of dough onto the surface till there was no space left. Once that was finished, Chanyeol took the tray and slid it into the oven, Carese watching him with an admiring eye as she began to get the hot cocoa mix out from the cupboard.

They both poured the mix into a some cups (but not before first throwing some of the chocolate powder at one another playfully) and heated up some milk before adding that into their glasses as well. After cleaning up the mess they had created, Chanyeol pulled out the cookies from his oven, placing them onto the stove and they both stared at them, their smiles falling as they noticed they had gotten far darker than anticipated and exceptionally hard.

Chanyeol's eyes darted over to the counter and saw that there was still one bowl unused in the creation of the dough, and he realized with a grim expression that it had been the baking powder.

“Aw, crap...” he muttered under his breath.

Carese looked at him in concern, asking, “What's wrong?”

“I didn't add the baking powder before going to get the parchment paper,” he explained. “I fucked up the recipe.”

She smiled, thankful it was only that and nothing actually serious. “Well, just because they're darker doesn't mean they'll be bad, and cookies don't have to be mushy to be good either.”

Carese blew onto the tray and then picked one up, taking a bite out of it and the both of them wincing at the loud, crispy crunch that seemed to resound as she bit into it.

“Well,” she began, putting the rest of the unfinished dessert back onto the tray, “we still have our cocoa.”

He tried to smile at her and shake off the lingering disappointment he felt, but he couldn't do it. Instead, he followed behind Carese and into the living room to sit beside each other on the sofa and enjoy their cups of hot chocolate. His arm slipped round her shoulders and pulled her into his chest, her head resting upon him as they both grew comfortable and content, with Carese even starting to doze off from how at ease she was growing, her cup still in her hands as they rested on her lap.

As Chanyeol finished his drink, he placed it onto the coffee table, trying not to move his girlfriend as she relaxed. However, as he leaned forward, the motion caused for her hands to lose her cup, and its contents then spilled over her lap. Carese jumped up from the couch and yelped at the sudden sensation of the warm liquid seeping into her jeans and then dripping down her legs.

“Carese, are you okay?!” Chanyeol practically launched from the sofa to get a look at her and the spill.

“Yeah...” she sighed, looking down at her pants in dismay, a dark blush appearing on her cheeks as the accident made it look like she had wet herself.

“I'm so sorry, Carese. It's all my fault. I shouldn't have moved when you were half-asleep.”

“No, I was an idiot for falling asleep and still holding my cup.”

“Are you alright, though? Was it still hot?”

She shook her head. “It was a little warm, but not hot.”

He gave a sigh of relief and then took her hand, guiding her to the bathroom and then sitting her down onto the rim of his large, white bathtub. He went to a small cubby and pulled out a drawer, retrieving a washcloth and wetting it with some water before bringing it to her.

“I'll be right back with some clothes,” he told her. “I'll get you some new pants.”

“Thank god I've stayed over before a few times, huh?” She replied, trying to lighten his mood as she could clearly see how guilty and worried he was.

He gave a soft, half-hearted smile before jogging out of the bathroom and down the hall, reappearing a minute later with a new pair for her to change into. He left her to herself so she could peel off her soiled jeans and wipe her sticky, sweet thighs off with the washcloth he provided and before long, she exited.

“You better now?”

“Much,” she nodded.

“I'll take your pants and throw 'em in the wash,” he offered, not waiting for a reply before taking them from her grasp and heading off down the hall.

After taking care of the small load, he entered his living room to find her putting on her jacket, his stomach falling as he thought of the worst – she was leaving him on Christmas Eve.

“Carese, are you going?” He asked hesitantly.

“Actually, I was hoping we could go ice skating?”

His heart seemed to start back up again and his nerves unwound themselves as he realized she had not been fed up with their disastrous day so far. “Sounds good! I think we need to get out of here anyway.”

He quickly put on his shoes and dawned his coat and a black face mask to help hide his identity from any and all fans they might encounter. He really hoped that they wouldn't be mobbed – not today. He wanted today to be just about him and Carese, and with the horrible start they were off to, that would be the last thing that he needed.

When they were ready, they left his apartment and strolled down the sidewalk to the curb, catching a taxi and taking it to a local park that was known for having an ice rink during the months of winter. Oddly enough, there weren't many people out and about, just a few stragglers skating around the sheet of ice with a few couples off on the benches to make out.

At least this'll be good, he told himself.

Chanyeol took Carese's hand into his own, leading her towards the ticket booth for the ice rink and paying for passes and their gear. They wobbled over to the edge of the ice, Carese and Chanyeol both in a fit of laughter while holding onto each other, and soon Chanyeol stepped onto the sleek surface first.

Once he was sure with his footing, he outstretched his hand and smiled at her encouragingly. “C'mon,” he urged, “I got you.”

That was all she needed to hear as she put her hand in his and followed his lead, shakily sliding her way across the ice with his tall figure leading her around. With his reassuring presence, Carese had an easy time getting into the groove of skating, the pair enjoying their time together as they ran round the rink and spun about, occasionally falling down every once in a while.

As Carese turned around to look back at Chanyeol, slowing down to be careful so she wouldn't go bumping into the guard rail or anything else, they smiled at each other as he started to slowly catch up with her. However, from the corner of his eye, he noticed one skating couple that was being far too lovey-dovey to realize they were headed directly in her direction as the boyfriend chased his giddy girlfriend.

Chanyeol picked up his pace and grunted as he enveloped Carese in his arms, taking the brunt of the force as the couple went smacking right into them. The four young adults slipped and fell, Chanyeol keeping Carese in his protective hold and landing on his side.

“You okay?” He muttered sorely.

“Yeah, thanks,” she whispered, soon looking to him with worry. “What about you?”

“I'm good, I think,” he began, slowly sitting up and pushing himself off the ground with his left hand, a sharp stinging sensation jolting through his wrist and making him wince. “Maybe.”

“What's wrong?” Carese looked at him as he began to grasp his wrist. “Did you sprain it?”

“...Yeah,” he muttered bitterly, glaring at the couple that gave a half-assed bow of apology before running off nervously for having caused a scene.

Carese rose from the ice and stretched out her hand, helping Chanyeol up and the both of them slowly sliding towards the rink exit. Chanyeol and Carese returned their skates before leaving the area and the park, with Carese stopping by the nearest pharmacy to pick up a wrist splint and some ice packs while Chanyeol could only feel defeated at how this would be a Christmas Eve to remember for all the wrong reasons.

Image


Chanyeol didn't speak much after that. The entire cab ride back to his flat was spent in silence with Carese being the only one to talk in order to direct the driver to the apartment building and to thank him for the lift.

They rode the elevator up to his floor in the same despondent silence, Chanyeol only coming back to life to unlock his front door and allow themselves entry into the flat. They entered and Carese flipped on the lights as Chanyeol trudged his way inside, her brown eyes watching his crestfallen form leave her there.

As he walked through the entry way and towards the living room, Carese rolled her eyes at how today just wasn't going their way. She knew that he wanted to make today great for them (she had seen his calendar a few days before when she had spent the night) and she felt bad that it wasn't going how he had probably wanted it to. As her eyes rolled up, they caught a glimpse of a familiar green ornament that hung from the ceiling on a silver string.

Carese chased after him, pulling him back a little too forcefully to where they needed to be and calling him out from the recesses of his mind. “Chanyeol.”

“Hm?” He grunted in response.

“Look up.”

His head rolled back slowly, his eyes focusing on the mistletoe above them. The cheerfulness he should have felt wasn't there, but he knew he couldn't just not kiss her either. He leaned down and kissed her lips in a light peck before resuming his sluggish trek to the couch, the brief contact between them leaving Carese heartbroken at the insincerity of it.

And that doleful emotion soon turned into resentment.

“Chanyeol!”

Her shrill, angered cry stopped him in his tracks and woke him up, the boy turning around and looking at her in confusion before returning to her side. “What's wrong, Carese?”

God, how many times had he been saying that today?

“You need to stop! No more moping around because of everything that happened today, got it?”

He sighed and looked to the floor. “Sorry,” he muttered, “today's been really shitty for us.”

“Yeah, it has been, but that's okay. Chanyeol, I know you wanted today to be perfect for us. I know you wanted to make our first Christmas Eve special.”

“You did?”

“I saw it on the calendar a few nights ago,” she explained, waving her hand between them to dismiss the matter. “But honestly, even if things go wrong – it doesn't matter. The fact that you wanted everything to go so perfectly made me so happy. I mean, you had cookies and hot chocolate for us to make and I can't tell you how much fun it was just to skate with you at the rink. I had fun today just being with you.”

“I know, but I wanted for us to do stuff that would give us something to look back on. I wanted you to be happy that you were with me for Christmas Eve.”

“I don't need to do everything or have certain things to make me feel happy about being with you, Chanyeol. I'm happy being with you because I'm with you.” Carese explained. “I don't need anything else.”

“Really?” A smile started to rise upon his features, causing for one to grow upon her own as well.

“Really,” she affirmed. “Chanyeol, today was hardly the best Christmas Eve of my life, but right now – standing under the mistletoe with you, couldn't be more perfect.”

Chanyeol leaned down and cupped her chin with his right hand, pulling her towards him as he redid their previous kiss. His tongue ran across her bottom lip and soon her own met his, their heavy breathing echoing in their ears as they embraced. Carese's lips took hold of Chanyeol's bottom one, sucking on it lightly and nibbling down on it teasingly before he pulled away a few seconds later, ending their brief, intimate moment that was replaying in both their minds.

Chanyeol went in and enveloped her in a hug, whispering in his deep voice as he was just getting to catch his breath. “At least we got next year to try again, huh?”

“And we still have to finish today,” she added. “What do you say we just chill on the couch and watch some Christmas movies?”

“Sounds perfect, but first...” he jogged over to the living room's coffee table and picked up a gift wrapped box that was hidden beneath a few magazines before walking back over. “Here.”

“What is it?”

“It's your Christmas gift. Open it.”

Normally she would have ripped open her gift in seconds flat, but as this was their first Christmas together, she figured that she should probably cherish the moment and even the wrapping paper that her present was wrapped in. Smiling, she delicately pulled at the paper till it was open. Her fingers grasped the sides of square box and lifted the lid up nervously.

Inside were two necklaces with a ring on each of the chains. One was larger with the silver plating being held by what looked like an onyx casing, and the other that was smaller had its silver encompassed by a beautiful rose gold color.

“They're beautiful,” she whispered in awe.

“Look closer,” he instructed, picking up the rose gold ring pendant and placing it in her palm.

Upon further examination, she noticed that the name and numbers “Chanyeol • 2.14.16” were engraved on the silver plating. “They have the day we got together on them,” she mused softly.

“February 14th, 2016,” he nodded. “Mine has your name and the same date.”

“Chanyeol, I love it! Thank you!” She hugged him and kissed his jawline as that was as far as she could reach without him leaning down to meet her. “Let me give you yours!”

She reached inside her bag, searching for the familiar feel of paper, however, her smile faltered when she couldn't feel it. “Where is it?” She muttered, soon kneeling down to empty her bag's contents on the floor, her stomach dropping when it was nowhere to be found. “I didn't bring it.”

“It's okay, Carese.”

“No, it's not! I told myself last night to put it in the bag, but I didn't do it! I'm so stupid!”

“You're not stupid,” he told her firmly. “And what did you just tell me a few minutes ago?”

“About what?”

“About you not needing certain things to be happy?”

“What about it?”

“Same rules apply to me.”

“...I still feel bad though,” she murmured bitterly as she pouted.

“Don't pout, your face is going to stay that way,” he laughed, kissing her slightly puckered lips and getting that expression off her face. “There, much better.”

“You saying I look ugly when I pout?”

“I wouldn't kiss you if you looked ugly.”

Carese laughed out loud and Chanyeol smiled and nodded in approval before putting on a serious face. “Don't smile, you look way too beautiful and make me want to do things with you.”

“Well, since I forgot my present, why don't I stand in instead?”

“You mean...” he pointed at Carese and then back at himself, “you'll be my present?”

“If only we had a bow to put on my head.”

“Why? I'd just rip it off along with everything else.” In an instant, Chanyeol swept Carese off her feet in a princess carry, Carese yelling in surprise from how suddenly he had picked her up, but wrapped her arms around his neck all the same.

“Better get unwrapping, boy.”

“You better be my present every year from now on, Carese. I won't accept anything else.”
♠ ♠ ♠
to be honest, I was cackling by the end of this chapter. I was getting too into the dialogue, sorry. ::XD:

ring pendant

I hope you liked it, Carese! And merry belated christmas!

Image
Image
Image