Status: Completed

Stay by My Side

Chapter 4

Waking up with Phil in his arms was his absolute favorite thing, Dan decided. He instantly woke up with a smile on his face, upon feeling the older boy pressed up against him. It’s not very often Dan wakes up with a smile on his face, so he knew this was a rarity he needed to cherish. Dan wrapped his arm around Phil’s waist and saw sun was shining in. Birds were chirping outside as Spring was finally here. The warm sun shone on his face and before he knew it he was drifting back into blissful oblivion.

Dan awoke again two hours later, feeling well rested. Phil was sitting in bed next to him with glasses perched on his nose as he read a book. Okay so maybe that was his favorite thing to wake up to. With Phil it was hard to tell, for he loves everything about him. Dan sat up, gave Phil a kiss on the cheek and leaned his head on his shoulder. This was the last day of his ‘vacation,’ as Ian would be returning tomorrow morning; only one more full day with Phil before reality hit. He chose not to think about that, however. Today he wanted to be happy and feel like an actual normal human.

The two of them had plans to go into the city but the weather that started out so beautiful began to worsen. Light rain began to fall from the sky and dark clouds were beginning to roll in: the first thunderstorm of the year was underway.

Neither of them complained however, for they made hot chocolate and coffee, curled up together on the couch and spent the day watching movies.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy in my entire life,” Phil mumbled against Dan’s head. He sat up and met Phil’s piercing teal eyes with his own dark ones.

“Me, neither.” Dan sighed. “It makes it even harder to leave you for work tomorrow.”

“Then don’t go,” Phil said suddenly.

“Of course I have to go, besides you have class tomorrow.”

“What if neither of us went, though? What if we just – just ran away? I’ve always wanted to be a doctor, but I’ve never wanted anything as much as I want you.”

Dan bit his lip, a hint of a smile forming. He could imagine it, running away with Phil’s hand in his own. Just disappearing, never to be found again as he spent the rest of his life with the love of his life next to him. No worries, no stress, no work or class – just Dan and Phil. They could grow old together, cracking jokes as their hair begins to turn grey. They could happily be in love in peace.
The buzzing of his pager pulled Dan out of his deliriously perfect daydream and he sighed. He would never get away with it, he knew that. While it’s true, ignorance is bliss, it isn’t worth both of them dying over. Dan looked back at Phil and met his eyes once again.

“You have no idea how much I would love that, but–” He was interrupted by Phil kissing him.

“I know,” He replied, resting his hand on the nape of Dan’s neck. “I know.” And he kissed him again but with so much passion and so much adoration, Dan’s mind quickly became clouded by his overwhelming love for Phil.

Love. It’s not like his brain’s nonchalant use of the word surprised him, for he knew this is the man he’s meant to be with; he was just more surprised he hadn’t realized it sooner.

So he voiced his feelings, which of course Phil reciprocated.

All attempts at watching the movie Phil picked out were soon deserted, as they once again became lost in each other.

The weather continued to worsen throughout the day. It was now just past two but it looked as if it was the middle of the night. The sky was completely black, covered by storm clouds. Heavy rain drops began thudding against the large windows, creating a rhythm of their own. It could have lulled them into a peaceful sleep if it weren’t for the deafening thunder. Lighting struck just as the power clicked off. Phil stood up, using his phone as a light and walked to the window, observing the storm.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?”

Dan hummed in agreement, leaning against the window beside him.

“I’ve always loved storms, they’re so mysterious.”

“Mysterious?” He questioned with a small smile.

“Yes,” Phil answered, “It’s so dark, you think it’s just black. But when a flash of lightning strikes, it teases you with everything it’s hiding for that split second. It turns out the sky isn’t black, but a angry violet. The clouds vary in shades of grey and you can’t help but wonder if it’s a storm, or simply a piece of art, painted by God himself."

Dan was in awe of Phil, he truly was. He’s never met anyone even slightly similar to him. When he didn’t respond, Phil glanced at him to find he was staring at him with a smile on his face. “What?” He asked, almost self consciously.

“You’re amazing.” He stated, as if it was a fact. And to him it was. A bright strike of lightning lit up the room, highlighting Phil’s perfect features.

His words rang through his head, ‘painted by God himself.’ Thunder shook the loft as lightning struck once more. He shook his head, clearing it. This storm was no ordinary storm..he knew lightning never strikes that often in a regular storm.

It was Zeus…he was angry. Angry at his Dan. He knew. Of course he knew! He’s spent nearly three days with his other half, his father was bound to notice. His head felt clouded by thoughts of Phil and only Phil earlier, he never thought of the risks of being here. Lightning struck closer to the loft now. Glancing at his phone he saw he had a text from Ian: ‘coming back from vacation early, weather sucks’

The text was sent an hour ago. Shit.

Ian would be back any time now, turning his pager back on. He’d be getting the alert any time now. How could he be so stupid? “Phil, I am so sorry. But I have to go right now, it’s an emergency..” He grabbed the side of his face, pulling him in for one last kiss before rushing to the door. “I love you,” he whispered. Dan twisted the handle, only to come face to face with Ian.

“Dan?” Ian frowned, twirling his gun in his hand. “What are you doing here?”

“Um..I..” Dan stammered in return. Ian pushed Dan back inside the loft, noticing Phil standing by the window, frozen with fear.

“Dan, who is this?” He questioned shakily.

Ian glanced between the two of them a few times, his frown slowly disappearing, replaced with a look of understanding. “Dan,” He warned. “You better leave. Right now.”

“No. I can’t..I’m not leaving. You don’t understand what it’s like, Ian.” He pleaded, but the loud thunder interrupted him. “Just listen to me so I can explain this to you.”

“Can you please explain to me what is going on?” Dan broke eye contact with Ian, and looked at Phil, his eyes watering.

“I am so sorry..” He whispered, he didn’t know a way out of this situation. If Ian didn’t do this then Zeus would. Dan closed his eyes. There was no way he could go back to the way things used to be. He could never forget about Phil and move on with his life. It was impossible.

“Dan, you don’t need to explain what’s going on, I have eyes, I can see his marking. And you, of all people know I can’t leave here without doing something about this..this mistake.” Ian raised the gun to Phil, who was now standing just behind Dan. Dan backed up, wrapping his arms around him protectively.

“Then shoot me.” He demanded. Phil let out a whimper at that. But Dan ignored it; Phil had so much more to live for. His family, his education, his future. Dan on the other hand, well he had nothing to live for except Phil. The world would be better off without him. Lighting lit up the room once again.

“You know I can’t do that.” Ian responded, his cold voice was a slap to the face.

Dan almost didn’t hear the gun go off due to the loud thunder that hit at nearly the same time.
Time slowed down.

Dan spun around just as Phil fell to the floor. A trail of blood trickled down his forehead, from where the bullet hit that killed her instantly. Bright red against pale white. A sob ripped through Dan’s body, he felt numb. It was like he was drowning, gasping for air but to no avail. A piece of him was ripped out viciously by his own brother.

Dan kneeled down beside him, his light eyes staring at nothing, which he gently closed. He softly traced the side of his delicate face with his hand. Tears streamed down his face, landing on Phil’s cheek and he brushed them away. Glancing over his shoulder, Dan observed Ian was gone already. With tears blurring his vision, Dan reached into his waistband, pulling out his own gun. He turned the safety off, put the gun against his temple and took Phil’s cold hand in his warm once again. “ I am so sorry..” He choked out. “I didn’t want any of this to happen. You didn’t deserve any of this.” His hoarse voice was barely a whisper. “I love you.”

Dan took one last look at Phil’s beautiful face and pulled the trigger.

Then everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oops. Don't hate me for this haha. But I might end up writing an epilogue for this, we'll see (; Please give me any feedback you may have, it means a lot! Also, feel free to check out my phan tumblr account: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/syrup-phancakes
And my fanfiction account: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/phan-fiction