‹ Prequel: Chandlier

Cherry Lips

Four

I think Landon just broke up with her boyfriend.

Jason stared at the text message from Stella for a long time, reading it over and over, wondering how she could possibly know something like that. Finally he texted her back to ask just that and waited for her reply.

Jordie and I are at lunch and we ran into her. I could see them from where we were seated and they both looked really pissed off and they were talking about something and then she stood up really suddenly, walked out, and left him sitting in the restaurant.

Why are you telling me this Stella?

You’re friends with her, aren’t you?

Yeah, I think so.

I’m rolling my eyes at you.

That’s not nice.

You like her, Jason.

She has a boyfriend.

That she might have just broken up with.

Key word being might. As in maybe.

Only one way to find out..... CALL HER!

I’m not going to call her, Stella. She maybe just broke up with her boyfriend. I’m not going to ask her out immediately after it happened.

Why not?

Have you ever heard of this thing called a rebound?

Rolling my eyes again.

You know, to be the level headed Croft sister, you sure are acting crazy right now.

Whatever. You have her number, she has yours. She took you to lunch. You gave her tickets to your game. You spent all night at her side yesterday and she was happy to be there. You like her, and boyfriend or not, she likes you too. I can tell.

Look, say maybe that I do like her. She has a boyfriend. That hasn’t changed as far as we know. If they did break up, then she needs some time to work through that. If she mentions it, I’ll talk to her; if she doesn’t then I’ll give her a week until I bring it up. Okay?

Fine. Are you still taking Alex tomorrow night?

Yes. I’ll pick him up around 4.

Sounds good. See you then.


~*~*~*~


Landon ignored Stevie’s calls and texts for a week but not Jason’s. They had been on the road the first part of the week and she enjoyed talking to him and the easy way their conversations flowed and how much she laughed. She didn’t tell him about her fight with Stevie and he didn’t ask about him. Which was fine with her because she didn't really know what to say or even how she was feeling.

For his part, Stevie tried to show Landon how sorry he was when she wouldn’t take his calls or answer his texts. He sent flowers to her at work but she gave them to one of the other girls who was having a bad week to cheer her up, throwing away his card. The flowers that showed up at her house went to her neighbor who was just getting over the flu along with some soup she had made for her.

On Sunday though he made it impossible to ignore him when he showed up at her door.

Landon had just gotten out of the shower, preparing to meet up with Camryn to go with her to the Stars game that night. Cam had a date with Tyler after and Landon had talked earlier in the week with Jason about maybe going out after the game to grab something to eat with some of the other guys. She sighed to herself at seeing Stevie through her peephole.

“I’m sorry I was an asshole,” he blurted out when she opened the door.

“Come inside,” she replied, stepping aside so he could pass.

“Did you get my flowers?” he asked, glancing around.

“I gave them to Mrs. Collins; she’s been sick all week. I thought she could use some cheering up.”

“Oh. But the ones at work?”

“Gave them to Samantha. She had a rough week.”

He nodded. “Landon, I’m really sorry about last week. I was wrong.”

“About?”

“About everything. I’m sorry for jumping to conclusions, and not trusting you. I do trust you, Landon, I swear. I messed up, but I hope you can forgive me, give me another chance to prove myself.”

“I forgive you, Stevie,” she said after a pause. “But you have to know that I’m going to have guy friends and Jason is one of them.”

“I know. And I’m fine with that.”

“You’re sure?”

“Positive. I had a whole week to think about it after all. So we’re okay?”

“We’re okay.”

“Good. Go get dressed.”

“Why?”

“I have a surprise for you.”

“Give me a minute to cancel with Cam.” He nodded and Landon went into her bedroom to text Camryn the change in her plans. She was grateful that her friend was fine with the change of plans and didn’t mind going without her and Landon promised to make it up to her with a girls night. Even though she knew there was a very good chance he wouldn't see it until after the game, she sent one to Jason as well, apologizing that she wouldn't make it but they she owed him lunch instead.

Stevie took her to her favorite restaurant in Dallas and ordered a bottle of her favorite wine. They chatted about their week after they ordered and continued to make small talk through their meal. Stevie paid to bill when they were finished and they headed out for a movie and then to a nearby bar. Everything had been going smoothly and the topic of Jason remained off the table.

When they got to the bar, the TVs overhead had highlights from the Stars game on and Landon saw Stevie grimace before putting a smile back on his face and pushing forward. She followed him to two seats towards the end of the bar and after the bartender brought them a couple drinks, Stevie turned to her.

“Is Camryn really seeing him?” He asked, his head tilting towards the tv where Tyler was on the screen.

“They had a really good date last week and are seeing each other after the game tonight.”

“Aren't you worried about his reputation and how he’ll treat her though?”

“No.”

“No?” He repeated incredulously.

She shook her head. “He's not like that.”

“You don't know him.”

“I know enough to trust my gut. Tyler is a good person, and I trust that he won't hurt Cam. Stella and Avery trust him, Cam trusts him. He's not what people say; I believe that wholeheartedly.”

Stevie made a noise of disgust. “So now you're going to be hanging around those guys I assume.” He gestured towards the TV.

“If I'm not busy and Cam wants me to go to a game with her, yeah, I might see them after.” She say back and looked over at him contemplatively. “You know, you just told me not five hours ago that it was cool for me to be friends with other guys but it sure doesn’t sound like that now. And to be honest, I thought you'd think it was cool, Cam dating one of the Dallas Stars; you're such a fan after all.”

“I'm not a fan of my girlfriend being hit on and harassed by them though.”

“No one has hit on or harassed me.”

“Or my girlfriend taking their defense to lunch.”

“Is that what this is about? Jason? I told you it's not like that with him. We’re friends, nothing else.”

“Those guys are never just friends with girls.”

“Well this girl isn't like those girls. And if you don't believe that then I think this is it for us.” She pushed back from the bar and lifted her purse strap from the chair as she stood. “See you never, Stevie.”

She strode through the bar with a purpose, ignoring Stevie who called out her name behind her. Outside she went left and started down the street. She heard Stevie as he caught up with her and ignored him as he fell into step beside her. Two blocks down the road, she stopped and turned to him.

“Did you not get the message? Leave me alone.”

“Landon, be serious. You can't walk home alone and we’re not breaking up.”

“We aren't breaking up; we are broke up.” She started away again and he scrambled to follow, grabbing her arm. She shook him off. “Go away.”

“Landon!” She heard from across the street. She looked over to see Jason and one of his teammates crossing towards them.

“What does this asshole want?” Stevie said as he straightened to his full height.

“Fuck off, Stevie. He's not an asshole. You are.” She smiled at Jason when he reached her. “Hey, Jason.”

“Hey. You good?”

“No,” she answered bluntly. “Where are you guys headed?”

Jason pointed vaguely. “Bar. Wanna come with us? It's only a few of us guys.”

“Yeah, sure, that'd be great.”

“This is Cody by the way. I can't remember if you met him or not.”

“In passing. It's nice to meet you again, Cody.” He smiled politely in return and Jason offered his arm to her.

“Shall we, Landy?”

“We shall. Lead the way.” She flipped Stevie off as they walked away and Jason couldn't help the laughter that escaped him.

“So I guess he pissed you off,” Jason remarked.

“Boys are stupid,” Landon muttered in reply.

“Was that your boyfriend?”

“Ex boyfriend. I dumped him.”

“I'm sorry, Landon.”

“Don't be. He had it coming. I didn't talk to him for a week because he was such a jerk about Cam and I hanging out with you guys and he came over and apologized tonight and was so sweet and I thought he was really over it and okay with everything but when I mentioned that Cam was seeing Tyler again tonight, he started making assumptions about me. I don't have time for that. You either trust me, or you don't, end of story.”

“I'm sorry you're hurting but I'm not sorry he is,” Jason said, stopping to hug her. “So forget about him and let's get you a drink. The Landy and Daddy show starts now.”