Status: Got the idea from a contest prompt to bad I only saw it after the deadline hit.

Always Remember

Remember

Lily stared out the window of her room watching as the snow fell. In her lap was a book with a simple blue cover. Gently she ran her fingers along the embossed title. She had held the same book every day for an entire year. Each day she took it off the shelf, sat in the window seat, and held it as she fought to gain enough courage to open it's cover.
Each day she failed.
Tearing her gaze away from the frosted glass Lily stared down at the book. The gold letters seemed to mock her as a memory flashed in front of her eyes.
Another hand held the book. A larger hand.
Quickly she placed the book on the table next to her. That memory. Even as short as it had been it made both her heart and her head hurt just seeing it. It was the same every day and every night.
Memories seemed to haunt her. Memories she didn't quite understand. There was always a person. Someone who had been very important to her. She never saw their face though. Or heard them speak.
Sometimes she would get the memories at night in her sleep. Other times she would be in her garden when something would trigger it.
Each time her heart would clench. Her head would begin to throb from the flashes. She prayed that they would stop eventually. But then she would pray they would come. In this huge house she was alone. The only company she had was in the person she saw in her memories.
Getting up Lily walked over to the door hesitating as she reached for the handle. The book was calling her. It was the key to all this madness. She wasn't sure however if she was ready to open that door yet. Taking a deep breath she walked back over to her chair sitting back down. Minutes passed before she finally took the book back in hand.
Once more she found her fingers tracing the letters on the front cover. Hours passed as she sat there holding the book. It was dark out when she finally slid her finger under the cover. Memory after memory flashes past her eyes as she lifts the top cover.
The two of them running through a field.
That person leading her towards a boat.
Bright lights flashing through the window at them.
A hospital room.
Tears run down her face as Lily stares at the handwriting on the title page. The writer obviously never learned their cursive because the letters loop all over the place hardly able to be read at all. Still a smile runs across her face as she silently reads the writing out loud.
"To Lily with love your Jonathon,"
A handsome man finally fills her vision as she remembers at last her husband.
Bringing the book up to her face Lily presses it against her forehead as the tears come hot and heavy down her cheeks. It's been a year since she lost him in the car accident. They were both injured but he didn't make it while she did. When she woke up however she didn't remember anything. Not of the accident. Not of Johnathon.
Now though she feels him standing next to her. He may be gone. But with her memories back he'll always be in her heart.