‹ Prequel: The Next Year

... And Then There Were Three

Chapter 2

**Sid’s POV**

It was amazing sitting next to Aleks and our newborn daughter. Mikhaila was awake and looking around while she was on Aleks’ chest. In the first 15 minutes of life she just kind of hung out and stared at us. It was like she was trying to figure out who we were, she knew our voices but they were louder than before. I calmly put a hand on her head and caressed her dark hair. “It’s ok nestling.”

I had moved so she could see my face easily. She turned towards me as I did and sort of sneezed. Aleks chuckled. “Daddy doesn’t smell bad nestling. No need to sneeze at him.” I could see the blanket over them moving so I was guessing she was gently rubbing Mikhaila’s back.

Christine was at the end of the bed checking Aleks and smiling. “The cord has stopped and the placenta is out, do you want to cut the cord now or wait a few more minutes?” That was good right?

Aleks smiled. “Now would be ok, but I don’t want her moving much.”

Christine chuckled. “I can’t blame you. We can sever the cord and placenta and cut it closer when you’re ready. Come here Sidney, you want to do this.” I moved towards the end of the bed and she handed me a pair of scissors. “Just cut between the clamps, it’s easy.” I took them and snipped through, it wasn’t as easy as she made it sound but it was kind of wondrous. I was severing the direct tie between my wife and newborn daughter.

I then washed my hands, got out my phone and, on the phone in the room, dialed Aleks’ folks home number. She picked up on the first ring. “How are they?” Mom asked excitedly.

“They’re beautiful mom. Aleks and our Mikhaila Rose.” Mom sighed contentedly. “I _really_ don’t want to have to leave them but I’m going to have to. We fly to San Jose in a few hours.” I really, really didn’t want to leave but it was part of the job.

“Oh Sidney, go. I’ll come over right after we’re done here so Aleks won’t be alone. When are your parents coming in?” I heard her moving.

I paused. I knew my mom and dad would want to come and see everything but at the same time… “I haven’t called them yet. I called you first.” I said honestly. Aleks chuckled at me and I stuck my tongue out at her, making her laugh even more.

Mom sighed. “Son, call your parents. We’ll make sure they get safely to the house. I’ll be there in about 20 minutes.” She hung up on me then.

Christine’s chuckle startled me a little. “Called the mother-in-law before your own mother.”

Aleks smiled. “Mine live closer, she should be here in no more than 30 minutes. I want her to get a band so she can come and go.” She lifted her arm, showing off her hospital band.

“I’ll make sure she gets one. Him too, even though he won’t be here for too long.” She pointed at me. “Gotta keep the Captain happy.” Sometimes it was a very good thing to be a Pen…

**Aleks’ POV**

I was completely overwhelmed, but in a good way. I’d been told about the flood of love that came after giving birth but only now could I believe it. I was gently making circles on Mikhaila’s back while she slowly blinked at me. She was making some sounds now and searching for her hand. I just smiled as I knew what was coming.

Christine’s assurance that my mom would get a band helped me feel even more safe. I know Sid didn’t want to have to leave but the season wouldn’t stop just because we had our baby.

Sid stepped outside to wait for my mom and call his own. It gave me a few minutes of wonder alone with Mikhaila. “You’re one lucky girl, you know that. You have grandparents who will do everything they can to spoil you. Not to mention aunts and uncles who I am sure you will wrap around your littlest pinky within moments.” That gave me an idea. I looked at the time and was surprised to see that it was almost 6:45 a.m. This wouldn’t make who I was about to text happy, until they saw the picture.

I moved slightly and was able to hook my bag and grab my phone. I opened the camera and took a couple shots of our new nestling. I then opened my text message and put in the 3 people who most needed to know after our parents, namely our siblings. ‘Look who finally decided it was time to come outside! Meet Mikhaila Rose Crosby!’ I attached my favorite of the pics I took and sent it off. I then sent it to the big boss. ‘Welcome Mikhaila Rose Crosby to the Pens family.’

By now Sid was back saw what I was doing. “Oh sure he gets a photo but my folks don’t.” He teased.

I smiled at him and spoke low. “I never said you couldn’t send photos, although they will be here soon...” I was fishing for a time.

Sid grinned. “Tomorrow afternoon. Your dad said he’s pick them up and bring them here after dropping their stuff at the house.” He pulled over a stool and sat down to marvel at Mikhaila. “Are you sure you want both sets of parents here?”

I chuckled. “Can you think of people better suited to make sure I’m cared for while you’re gone?” My mom and I had read _so_ much on modern parenting and babies while I was pregnant. I had even had Trina ask about what books I was reading.” Between all of the advice I had gotten and books I had read, I was sure that I was ready.

Then Mikhaila moved. We both stopped and watched her. She slowly made her way over to my left breast and began to explore it the only way she knew how, with her mouth. I exhaled and grinned. “Someone’s hungry.”

She took about 15 minutes to work her way over to and then explore my breast. While she was exploring there was a knock on the doorframe. “Hello?” I noticed Sid look up but I was watching our nestling. “Oh, good. I’m right on time.” I waved without speaking. “I’m Marie, I’ll be your postpartum nurse today.”

I spoke softly. “Hi Marie. I’m Aleks and this is my no name husband.” Sidney chuckled and Marie smiled. “I don’t think we’re quite ready to move just yet.” She nodded as she moved around to the end of the bed.

“I see that, believe it or not that’s a good sign. Do you mind if I check down below here? Christine gave me an idea of what to expect but I’d like to check for myself.” Sid turned the stool to face my face instead of the end of the bed.

I chuckled. “I’m sure she did. I’m expecting my mom anytime but I don’t mind at all.” She nodded and lifted the blankets. She carefully moved my legs so she could get a look and seemed very happy with what she saw.

“Well, I don’t know if Christine told you but you managed to do this without tearing at all. I’m sure you’ll be sore later but not having that happen will make recovery a _lot_ easier on you.” I hadn’t been told at all but hearing it now relieved me.

I shook my head carefully. “She hadn’t said anything, then again I hadn’t asked either.” Then there was another knock on the door and mom came in. “Mom.”

She came over and kissed my forehead like she used to do when I was little. “I’m so proud of you Aleksandra,” She looked at Sid and smiled. “You too Sidney. You didn’t panic.” Then she got a look at her new granddaughter. “Isn’t she precious. Sidney, when do you have to be at the airport?”

He sighed and looked at the clock. “By 10:45, the flight leaves at 11:30.” Oh it was so clear he didn’t want to go.

I laid a hand on his arm. “Just remember we have the cameras set up in the house, you’ll be able to check on us while you’re gone.” I’m sure it was small comfort but we had gotten cameras specifically so he could check up while on the road without us knowing.

He smiled at me. “I know, I just wish I could be here instead of having to leave right away.” By now I had noticed that Mikhaila was latched on and suckling a bit. “Can I at least hold her before I have to leave?”

I smacked him then. “Are you stupid? Do you honestly think I’m going to send you on the road without holding her at least once before then? I know we slept like crap but try and use your head.” He looked at me sheepishly while mom laughed.

Sid was glad he had packed before the game last night as it meant he could go and grab a nap before he had to leave for the airport. “I don’t know what to do about the car seat though.”

Mom scoffed. “Like I hadn’t thought of that. I went and switched mine with Aleks’ and the other base. You can either just put it in the car or bring it up here and leave it with us.”

After this exchange Marie came over and checked our latch. “Oh, she’s already a pro. If she ever does _not_ latch like this, pop her off and try again.” She then checked my chart. “She hasn’t been checked yet, am I right that you’re waiting until she’s asleep?”

I nodded. “Yeah, all the research we’ve done say it’s best. She’s detached from the placenta but hasn’t had a final cord clamping yet. I don’t want to bathe her right away either.” I had put all of this in my care plan but sometimes it was safer to let them know.

“Christine has said that, but I’m glad you did too. Maybe that’s something dad can do before he leaves?” That was a fantastic idea.

In about 20 minutes Mikhaila let go on my nipple and gave a big sigh. She looked very contented to lay where she was. “There’s my good girl. Are you getting ready for your first nap in the outside world? Here let Nurse Marie and Daddy take you for a minute before we move.” I handed her to Sidney, still naked and covered in goop.

He took her carefully, we’d had lots of practice between all of our friends’ kids. “Come on nestling, let’s get you dry and into some pants.” After Marie weighed and measured the littlest penguin she directed Sid to the diapers and he dried her and put one on her. “There honey, are you warmer now? What do you say to being swaddled up so we can move to a different room?” Marie laid a hospital swaddle blanket down and Sid did the honors. He then get to push Mikhaila in the bassinet while I rode in the wheelchair to our postpartum room.

Once inside we were able to finally get completely comfortable. “Now I’m going to go get the things we normally have in the room for our new moms. If there’s anything you need just let me know.” I nodded and mom spoke up.

“How soon can she shower and maybe put on the postpartum band she has?” Oh, a shower sounded nice.

Marie nodded in understanding. "I would suggest having a nap before showering just because you’ve been through quite a bit and it’s early. As for the band, wait a few hours. We won’t let you have visitors until 11, not even the boss.”

As if he knew, my phone’s text alert went off. I checked it and laughed. “You might have a hard time keeping him out.” I showed her the message I got. ‘Team departure delayed until 2, tell daddy to get some sleep. Let us know when we can come by.’

Then Sid’s phone began blowing up. “Hello?” He said cautiously. _I_ could hear the worried French on the other end. “Flower, Flower I can’t understand you.” He pulled the phone away from his ear and put it on speaker.

“The flight is delayed! Mario sent out a message saying you were happy and at the hospital. What is going on?!” Sid’s face lit up, Mario had only told _part_ of the story. He laughed in his giggle honk way.

“Flower, I’ll send out a mass text as to why but everything’s fine with me. Visiting hours start at 11 am and no kids can come into the room who are under 13.” Flower cursed him out for not telling him what was going on, which made me laugh. “I promise it’s nothing bad!” He then hung up and opened his camera app. He moved Mikhaila over to the window in her bassinet and lined up a good shot. She looked so sweet sleeping like she was.

After getting a couple shots he opened his texting window and chose the mass text option. ‘To my dearest aunts, uncles and cousins… I have arrived. - Mikhaila Rose’ He then attached the best shot he got and sent it out. “There, that should calm everyone, mostly.”

Mom sighed. “Now that the team knows. Go home Sidney.” He looked at her stricken. “Turn your phone off and go get some more sleep. Come back in a few hours so we all can get a nap before they all descend upon us.” I understood why but I wanted him close as well.

“But mom…”

“No buts son. We all need naps. I see no reason why yours can’t be in your own bed.”

Marie came back in then. “The chair leans all the way back and I can bring a second in if you want. Not really comfortable but it’s better than having to leave before he wants to.” Sid could have kissed her. “Just for a few hours. After he leaves we can take it back out.” She set a box on the bed and went out briefly.

Mom sighed, she knew defeat when she heard it. “Fine, but I am insisting on naps.” Sid kissed us both and then moved the box closer.

I chuckled and looked at it. It had the Pens logo and ‘A great day for a new baby’ on the outside. Just what we needed more baby Pens stuff. I opened it and found it was indeed filled with Pens/UPMC stuff. I laughed. “Like she will need baby Pens gear.” I took out the onesie and felt mom sit next to me. It said ‘Future Penguins are born at Magee’. There was a penguins puppet/bath mitt, a #1 fan bib and a New fan on board sign for the car.

Mom chuckled. “It’s a year long program. I’m sure not everyone who gets it will have as much baby Pens stuff as you already do.” That was true. At our baby shower we had gotten tons of it in all sizes. You would have thought that our theme was penguins but it wasn’t it was stars.

Soon enough we were all settled down for naps. We had all sent our texts letting people know we would be turning our phones off for a few hours. The bassinet was on my left with mom and Sid on the right side of the room. Sure it was cramped, but we wouldn’t be here too long. Sleep overtook me soon. Who knew labor, even mostly during sleep, was exhausting?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey all!

Yes, they are calling her Nestling. It's another name for a baby penguin, I couldn't resist it was too cute.

The first hour (or magic hour as they sometimes call it) is very important they are finding out. I used THIS for the stages guide. It's really fascinating, wish I had been allowed to do this with my 16 and 11 year olds.

The boxes are real! I found them on the Magee Womens Hospital Facebook page!