‹ Prequel: The Next Year

... And Then There Were Three

Chapter 5

*Dec 18th, 2015 Aleks POV*

Here I was at the airport waiting for my brother, Dimitri, and Taylor. Sid was getting his folks and Sam. We had a full house for the Holidays. Of course we had good reason to have everyone here. Tomorrow is Mikki's baptism and chrismation and shortly after was Christmas. We had brought our families together for our own ease of things.

“Dima!” I called as I saw him. He looked around and spotted me easily. Oh the grin on his face as he waved. He had come from Detroit as it was easier than having to get him from the International side of the airport.

“There’s my beautiful sister!” He said brightly as he came up and scooped me into a tight embrace. “Well, where is she?” I giggled and motioned to the stroller sitting next to me. He cooed, who knew he could do that, and carefully opened the dream drape. “Oh Aleks, she’s beautiful!” He must have thought I’d be upset as the next sentence out of his mouth was backpedaling at it’s finest. “Not that she isn’t beautiful in pictures but real life is _so_ much better.”

I noticed that Mikki was awake and watching Dima with wide eyes. “You wanna push the stroller while we go find where Taylor will meet us?” We had all agreed that meeting in the baggage claim area would be easiest, but of course both landings were on near opposite ends of the area. Dima looked at me as if I had given him the greatest gift ever. I chuckled and took the handle of his suitcase. “Come on, there’s more privacy down near where Tay’s coming in so you’ll be able to hold her for a little bit too.”

“So,” Dima casually said. “Are Mischa and Tina here yet?” There was something too casual about how he asked.

We found a spot to sit and wait so I extricated Mikki and handed her to my brother. “I didn’t know he was bringing her. What do you know about her? Normally he and I talk about other stuff, not who he’s dating.” The joy on his face told me that he was starved for even the simple attention from the family. I made a mental note to call him more.

“She doesn’t speak Russian at all, has no clue who you are but I’m positive she’ll know Sid. Loves the Leafs, of all teams, and hated Mischa during high school.” That wasn’t a lot of info but it was enough to tell me who she was and that I knew her.

“Krystina Nicholson?!” said kind of loudly and watched in semi-horror as Dima nodded. “How the heck?” Dima just shrugged. I sighed heavily, she hadn’t liked Mischa cause he (like our entire family) was a big Wings fan while Dad worked there. Family preference had changed to the Pens once Mom and Dad started here and weren’t likely to change anytime soon.

I processed the information and watched Dimitri with Mikhaila. He was so gentle with her and she seemed fascinated with him. “Well she’s in for a big shock then I guess. I hope he warns her about posting pictures online. She won’t be invited back if she posts more than 1 or 2.”

Dima grinned and spoke at Mikki but with me at the same time. “I don’t think she’s good enough for him. No I don’t. I think your uncle deserves someone who understands that our family is not like most families and how much we value our privacy.”

I heard a chuckle from someone else and looked up. To my surprise there was Mom. “Must be talking about your brother’s girlfriend. Aleks I was hoping to grab you to warn you before they got in about her. Not to mention remind you of how the family acts around new people.”

I coughed. “Mom, I’m not going to treat her like anything. She never knew me and hated Mischa while we were growing up. I invited my brother to his niece’s chrismation, _I_ got no word back from him.” Mom sighed and sat down next to Dima.

“I know he didn’t tell you he was coming or that he was bringing her but _try_ to be at least neutral about it. Dima, have I told you how happy I am that you are staying with your sister and her second family instead of Mischa. At least I know that you know who they all are and love them.” Just then Mikki blew a big raspberry making us all laugh.

Just then another pair of feet joined us. “Oh please, he’s as much my big brother as Triple B is.” I got up and hugged Taylor. “I’m just dumping my carry-on here right now so I can grab my suitcase.” I tugged her down.

“Sit for a minute and see your niece a tiny bit.” I put her between myself and Dima. The conveyor wasn’t even moving yet, she had time. As soon as she got a good look at Mikki, it was time for Tay to coo at her.

In no short order Tay got up and went to find her bags. That’s when I got my next surprise. “There you are mom!” I jumped and looked up at the overly cheerful voice. “I thought we would never find you.” It was Tina, by herself. She pulled out her phone and called someone. “Babe, I found them. Yeah, the last carousel. No I’ll wait here. Ok, see you soon.” She hung up and grinned at us all. “So, who’s who here?”

Mom looked unhappy. “I’m not going to introduce you to them in such a public place. Firstly because we’re trying to keep little miss out of photos and secondly because we want to get out of here sometime today.” Dima took the hint and put Mikki back into the stroller.

Taylor came over with her gear. “Shall we get back so Triple B can relax about us all being in safe?” Oh bless her! I took the stroller and adjusted my hat low on my forehead. Dima stood and grabbed his stuff and Tay picked up her bags.

Tina was trying so hard to get a look at Mikki. “But Mik says that she’s just adorable and I want to see her.” She was trying to get her camera into my personal space.

That’s when a real Yinzer came over. “Hey lady! You should know better than to try and take pictures of that baby. You wanna see her so bad, go on the Pens site and look at those shots.” I could have kissed him. He then put himself between Tina and me. Without turning he asked. “Are you going to come back next season?”

I chuckled. “Honestly I have another job waiting for me next season so probably not, but we aren’t going anywhere. Tay, grab his phone and take a picture of him and I. Heroic Yinzers deserve reward.” The man flushed and tried to say he didn’t do anything. I pulled him into the frame and made sure Tay got a good shot for him. “Sure you did and I appreciate it.” I lifted the drape and let him get a glimpse of Mikki. “You kept her from being outed as being here, let alone me. Thank you.”

I gathered Dima and Taylor and we scooted out of the area with a wave to Mischa. I texted him to remind him to tell his girlfriend about our picture policy and told him how she tried to violate it. I got back the horrified emoji and then a text saying he would talk to her about it right away.

By the time we got home, Sid was awake and his folks were here as well as Sam. Cocoa met me at the door her tail a wagging hard. “Hey there sweetheart. Back up Cocoa.” She did and we were able to all get into the house. Sid took Mikki so I could introduce Dima and Taylor properly. We had been getting Cocoa socialized but we found having us there helped her know who was safe.

Soon enough Sid was on his way out to head to the arena while we got situated here for a few hours. I showed Dima where he’d be sleeping and warned him that he would be alone up here as Mikki was still in our room.

The doorbell rang and Sam barked, Cocoa did not. Cocoa did follow me to the door and wiggle her way into a pat by Mario as he and Nathalie came in. “Are you all going to the game tonight?”

I looked around and knew that no one else knew. “Actually the plan is to have the entire family there on Monday. Between everyone coming in and the chrismation it’s too chaotic to go tonight or tomorrow.” Everyone relaxed at that. “We want _some_ time without the rush of games.”

Another knock on the door brought the rest of the family into the house. “Hello the house!” Dad called as he came in. Cocoa planted her rump on the floor when I looked at her.

“Hi dad! We’re all in here!” Not that they couldn’t find us in the great room but still. Hugs were given by most everyone.

I went to check on Mikki and found myself and my brother Mischa in the room without everyone else. “Leks, I’m _so_ sorry about what happened at the airport. I told her not to go off on her own but she didn’t listen. I also need to apologize about not letting you know I was coming, let alone bringing her.” He chuckled dryly. “Actually she kind of invited herself.” That’s when Mikki sounded the hungry alarm, and sounded angry too.

“Don’t mind me bro, but your niece is hangry and she comes before your delicate sensibilities.” I moved onto the bed, got comfortable and then picked Mikki up. I was teasing Mischa and he knew it by the tone of my voice. Once she was attached he sat down nearby and stroked her hair. “I was expecting this. She was quiet and alert when we picked up D and Tay.”

“She’s a lucky girl. Having you for a mom, gods know I’m not ready.” The door was open and I saw a flash of someone who looked unhappy. Mischa paused and then sighed. “You know Tina by how she was Leks, I hope you give her a chance while we’re here.”

“Then she needs to know what family she’s really become a part of. Sid’s at the arena already so at least that’s a small blessing.” I caught someone outside again in the corner of my eye. “Whoever is out there, I’m not body shy.” Mischa snorted after I spoke. “What? After all these years of change rooms and everything I don’t care.”

It was Tina who came in. I thought it might be her. “Mik explained, as did your mom, what I did wrong. I didn’t think it was a big thing and then I walked into the house and saw who else lives here.” She paused and got a look at the wedding picture Sid and I agreed was too important not to display, it was all of the siblings.

I looked over and smiled. “That’s our favorite picture of the 5 of us. We had it taken just before we escaped.”

Mischa chuckled. “I still think you should have insisted on having Stanley there. Who would have said no to you?” I smacked him with my free hand. “What?! First woman to win him as a player, I would have thought they would have made sure you had an early day.”

I rolled my eyes. “I’m perfectly happy with how my day went. I got to be the first alumni to bring him to Shattuck, that’s almost better than having him at our wedding. Who knows, maybe we’ll have him this summer with all the trades and changes.” I was optimistic even though the standings didn’t support me.

Dinner that night was several kinds of take out eaten around our big screen. The loss was disappointing but hopefully Sid wouldn’t be too upset as he came home. The party broke up with plans for us all to spend tomorrow running errands that we still had for Sunday’s celebration.

**Sunday, Dec. 20th, 2016**

I got out of bed on Sunday morning to music in the kitchen. I found Sid, Taylor and Dimitri making sure breakfast was ready for everyone else. They were mostly just warming up what had been made the previous evening, but that they were doing it instead of me having to. That meant a lot. Sid turned and that’s when I saw who was attached to him. “There’s momma. I wonder if she realizes we let her sleep and you got your very first bottle.” I was stunned. I knew we were waiting until this weekend but I thought it would be while I was awake at least.

Taylor came over and hugged me. “Mikki and I figured out that she doesn’t like the Tommee Tippee bottles and doesn’t hate the Dr. Brown’s but isn’t thrilled with them either.” I sighed, thankful that I had been smart enough to get starter bottles from several brands.

“Well it looks like dad was wrong about what bottles he was _so_ sure she would love.” Sid shrugged and helped Dima set the table set and ready for food. “Did she settle for the Dr. Brown’s…”

Dima laughed. “She didn’t like that it coming so slow to her. The straw thing in it, slowed her down and oh boy.” I moved into the kitchen and got out a couple frozen jars of breast milk.

“Did we ruin a rotation? We used what was in the fridge.” Sid asked as I put some water in a pan on the stove.

“No, that’s fine. This is just in case during liturgy.” I also got out a couple different bottles. I had already washed these and gotten them ready to try. “Let’s see, the 2 ounce Avent and a 4 ounce Lifefactory I think.” I also got out a mason jar to put the milk in for transport and then found today’s collection jar. I let the water get warm and then plunked two frozen jars into the pot. “When these are thawed, would you put them into the clear one so I can go pump before I explode?”

Sid waved me away giggling. He knew how I felt upon first waking with full breasts. I went out and set up the pump and began filling the attached bottles. Trina and Troy were coming upstairs then. “You’re pumping?” She said confused.

“Seeing that I did so yesterday and Nestling ate it before I got up, I have a chance to make sure she doesn’t get hungry during the ceremony. Not to mention making myself feel lighter.” I chuckled.

Sid came in with my morning pick me up. “Don’t blame her for it, Mikki woke me before she woke momma so Taylor got to help me figure out what bottle she would take. We eliminated the Tommee Tippee and are not happy with the Dr. Brown’s.”

Breakfast was as good as we decided how we were going to get us all to church on time. We ended up taking both cars so we’d have room for everyone and everything.

At Saint John’s we were right on time for what we needed to do before Liturgy began. Father Schaefer hugged me when I set the car seat down. “Christ is Born!” He said by way of greeting.

My family all answered him. “Glorify Him!” That made Father grin.

“So, we’re here to gain a new member. Can I see her?” I smiled and got Mikki out of her seat. “Oh look at you. Are you going to cry when we baptize you like the last one did?” I chuckled. That last baby nearly screamed from the second he was unwrapped until he was out of the nave.

“She doesn’t mind being naked or wet as long as it’s not for too long.” Sid said as he put down the bag with her gown on a nearby table.

Trina sidled up and asked a question. “I’ve done a lot of research but I’m lost as to why you just had that exchange.” I had to give her credit, she had done a lot of research on the differences and similarities between the Byzantine and Roman rites.

I saw Sid’s ears go up in flames but Father Tom took it in stride. “Oh that’s easy. From November 14th until December 25th we fast.” She nodded, knowing that much. “During the fast we greet each other as we just did so that we both know that Christ is coming. It’s one way we know who is a believer and who might not be.”

We moved into the gossip area and of course there were a few people already here. “Go ahead and claim your space and get the little one ready for the first part. I won’t be too far.” Father walked off after saying good morning to those others in the room.

We claimed a large table so that we could all sit together. I hadn’t put a lot of clothes on Mikki when I got her dressed and all of it was white for ease. Sid pulled out the gown we had so far kept secret from our parents. Could we have used one of ours, yeah but we wanted something special just for our kids. The soft gasps by both moms told me everything I needed to know. “I know it’s gorgeous. I found it online and ordered it and the outfit she’ll wear after.” Sid pulled that out too and my mom snickered. “What? I paid less for both outfits and shipping than some of the others we had looked at. Besides this way she won’t have to be in this fancy dress for too long.”

I changed her into the dress and after zipping her in, tied the bonnet on her. Mom took her from the table and went over to introduce her to the people who were setting up the social after Liturgy. “Mischa, go get the cake from the car and ask the ladies where to put it.” Dad said, handing over his keys.

Again Sid’s family looked a bit lost. “After liturgy everyone is welcome to come and share a simple meal. If there’s something to celebrate there’s a dessert, like today we brought a cake to celebrate her chrismation.”

Soon we were standing just outside the nave doing the pre-baptism rite that was done before Liturgy. Her Godparents were Dima and Mari. Geno and Anna were there but he wasn’t Byzantine Catholic so he couldn’t be officially her Godfather, not that it would stop him nor would we want it to.

Soon enough we were done with that portion of the baptism and we were allowed to claim seats for Liturgy. I was bracketed by both moms, something Sid thought was funny. “Auntie”, I looked over at Anya. “Can I hold her?” She loved holding babies but I was nervous.

“Maybe when we get back to the house.” She seemed satisfied with that answer. All too soon it was time for Liturgy to begin and I had to go and wait at the entrance with the rest of our little party.

It reminded me of our wedding, it had a similar start, waiting for ourselves to be ushered up to the baptismal font was the difference this time. Of course that’s when I noticed that there were many more familiar faces in the congregation than usual. I side eyed Sid who also had noticed. He leaned over. “I didn’t expect so many of them to show up.” He said quietly.

By now it was too late to say anything directly to our friends who had shown up to support us. We were being led by Father Tom and Bishop Skurla. I hadn’t known the Bishop was supposed to be here today but I rolled with it, what else could I do?

Bishop Skurla started the baptism rite. “Lord, O Lord look down and see, visit this vineyard and protect what your right hand has planted. Lord may your hand be upon the son of man who you’ve made strong for yourself.” He chanted this in the four cardinal directions then he blessed the water Mikki was about to be baptized in. I noticed a smile at the temp and hoped that it was warm. The oils were poured in and it was time for Mikki to be naked. I moved over to a side table and took off her gown and everything, including her diaper. I then wrapped her in a big white fluffy towel and waited to hand her over.

Bishop Skurla gently took her from me and held her above the water. Mikki was not looking upset, yet. “Mikhaila Rose Crosby, I baptize you in the name of the Father,” He dunked her completely and she came up startled. “And of the Son,” I could see the scream forming and heard it as she broke the surface. “And of the Holy Spirit.” Mari had taken the towel and held it out to get her back and dry her off.

From there the baptism was pretty normal; anointing of her with oils to open various parts of her to the word of God, clothing her in the white garment of righteousness, receiving the lighted candle as a symbol of her new life, and even the seal of the Holy Spirit.

Soon I was outside reclothing her and calming the fit she was having. “Hush baby girl, it’s over.” I had touched her head as Mari covertly dried her and noticed it was warm not cold as I expected. That explained the smile.

We rejoined the congregation soon and the rest of Liturgy went relatively fast. Mikki was chrismated first as is also the custom and I was given communion right after, also as is custom. Mikki didn’t care too much about what was tipped into her mouth and didn’t fuss at all. She did want food though and so I had Sid take her out to give her a bottle after so I could help his family through that part of Liturgy. Taylor did better than his folks did, then again she spent more time with me and so had learned.

I noticed that our friends were also going through the line and whispered directions to them as they came by. They all seemed to like knowing what to so.

After Liturgy we all went into the hall again and formally introduced Mikki to her church family. I was able to change her into the less formal outfit. Before the nosh Father Tom and Bishop Skurla came in to give the blessing. Soon everyone was happy and enjoying the community that was this church.

Father Tom pulled me away from everyone with Mikki. “I wanted to let you know that I wasn’t sure that the Bishop was going to be here. He comes and goes sometimes with little warning.”

I put my free hand up. “It’s fine. Really it is. At least he’s gotten to give us one of the Holy Mysteries. Originally our wedding was supposed to be a dual ceremony here at the Cathedral but it got moved. It was a surprise but not unwelcome.”

Just then the Bishop walked up. “When I saw this on his calendar I had to be here. Is it just me or are there more than the usual parishioners here today as well?”

I chuckled. “Our secondary family thought this was too important to pass up so some of them joined us here too. This afternoon we’ll be having a celebration and most of them will be there. You’re welcome to come as well but we understand if other things get in the way.”

Bishop Skurla tickled one of Mikki’s feet. “I would love to spend a bit more time getting to know this little one but I do have a prior engagement. I do have a question that’s been bugging me a little bit. Why here? Why not another parish closer to your home?”

I turned and looked at my parents who were almost hold court with their friends here and then turned back. “It’s where my parents felt the most comfortable when they came over from Detroit. They sometimes go to Epiphany if they can’t make it here, like on busy game days, but they prefer coming here. I started coming here when I was in high school, when I was home from Shattuck. I continued coming during college and even the year that Sid was out with his concussion. I fell in love with how honest people were and how they didn’t care who I was, especially when Sid would come with me to escape the house. They treated us like we were normal people, not special at all. If Sid needed space they gave it to him but if he wanted to talk they were also right there. He’s toying with changing rites but I think until his mom really gets to know how we do things he won’t. Coming here started as a way for him to show me that he valued my background but it’s ended up as a sanctuary for us. We got married at my birth parish and when we found out our little nestling was coming it was his idea that we have her baptized here.”

Father Tom was grinning. “Sounds like he wants you to have a support system for when he can’t be here.”

I smiled. “Oh I have that already, he told me that he wanted me to do what I would do even if he wasn’t famous. I told him that going to church was important to me and he asked where I would feel the best to come. Not to say he doesn’t at time complain about the drive, sometimes even until we’re turning the car off in the parking lot.”

Sid came up behind me without me seeing him until he wrapped his arms around us. “I only do that to see if you will stop my complaints. I don’t really mind it. It’s nice to have a place where they want to talk to me instead of the Pens Captain.”

After the celebration at home, we all relaxed. Everyone had come over to say hello and such. Now it was time to chill out and make sure that we were ready for Christmas. We had brought out the boxes from the storage space. I had taken some time from when everyone was gone in the last week and made matching stockings for the entire family. I had embroidered names on them as well so we could easily tell who they belonged to. I had made 12 human stockings and 1 for Cocoa as well but that was paw shaped. I hadn’t known that Mischa would have his girlfriend with him so she didn’t have one, then again she wasn’t family yet either.

I got shooed to go nap while Mikki was napping so the rest of them did the work. I was glad I had finished the stockings and put them in the storage space when I heard Trina gasp and then exclaim. “We didn’t have stockings here last year.”

I got up and leaned against the wall. “I know, I had to do something though. I was thinking that Mikki and us could be the center 3 and have the rest of the family spread out around us in no order. We’re family, all of us.”

Trina kissed my cheek and sent me back to sleep. “Go, we know she had you up part of the night. We can do this.”

**Dec. 25, 2015 Sid’s POV**

I sat on my new favorite chair in the great room. It was the middle of the night and I was awake for no reason. Well maybe not no reason, but it wasn’t due to a child or dog. I was staring at the Christmas tree and fireplace. Aleks’ folks would be over in a few hours. We had gifts for everyone that was still here. Dima, Mischa and Tina couldn’t stay due to work, but everyone else was still here. There was something still missing though. I couldn’t quite put my finger on what though.

I triple checked that everyone was set for tomorrow, of course we were but I wasn’t sure what else to do. Then it hit me. We didn’t have anything for Cocoa. I knew we had things for each other and Mikki, not to mention the family that was here. Looking over I found a filled stocking for her. Now I was confused.

“Come back to bed Sid.” Aleks called quietly from the corner to our room. “What’s got you up anyway?”

I padded over to her and hugged her to me. “We have things besides the stocking for Cocoa right?” Ok, now that I said it aloud it sounded dumb.

Aleks chuckled and pulled me into her side of the closet. “Yes, I have them in here so she can’t tear into them as some are food items. You’ll get to bring them out before we open things. Relax, I hadn’t forgotten our furry kid.”

The feeling that we had forgotten something left. “Sorry, I should have known you would be on top of it.” She kissed me and pulled me back to bed.

“I now know why the girls shop online. I got everything on sale and in one color.” She sounded excited.

“You’re styling Cocoa too. Will I be able to stand the color?” I got a yawn in return. I had to wait and see.

**Later that morning**

Everyone was awake and ready to get going on gifts. “Are we ready?” I asked as I set down the gifts for Cocoa. I got my coffee mug back from Aleks and cleared a spot on the floor. I got nods back and so I began passing out stockings.

I helped Cocoa with hers while Aleks was helping Mikki. The first thing I pulled out was something called a Puplight. I looked at Aleks confused. “What? Having both she and I having lights means our nighttime walks are safer.” I nodded and set it aside. Under that was a container labeled Musher’s Secret. Clearly for her paws. Then we found a set of booties for her. I found a bag of her preferred treats and gave her a couple.

Aleks giggled. “These are adorable!”. She pulled out an assortment of headbands and socks.

Trina giggled. “Just wait! I was glad you put out those collection bins for stocking stuffers.” We all chuckled.

Once the “kids” were done we got into the rest of our stockings. I went between looking at the goodies in my stocking and watching how everyone else loved what was in theirs. Taylor kept squealing over what in hers which made me chuckle.

I snuck a look at Aleks as I hadn’t heard anything from her and found she was not in the room. As I frowned she came back in with more coffee and fruit for everyone. She looked at me and I could see easily that she had been hungry and didn’t want to leave anyone out.

I shook my head and went back to my stocking. In the very toe was a pair of reflexology balls for my feet. I could have kissed whoever put those in my stocking. “I’ve been looking for something like these!” I had been too, I could easily carry these with me on the road when I wore shoes that were often stiff.

Aleks’ mom chuckled. “I figured they might be something you’d like. I know that I always made sure Pavel had a tennis ball or something in his bag for the same reason.

I got onto my knees, shuffled over and kissed her. “Thank you so much. My feet bug me when my shoes are too stiff. Skates don’t bug me but dress shoes do and seeing that.” She put a finger our my lips.

“Sidney, I have known you for years. I know that it’s the little things that mean the most to you, things that make you feel less like a famous person and more like an everyday person. That being said you are very difficult to shop for.”

Everyone else laughed. How could I argue, it was true. Aleks gave her mom a cup of coffee and a small plate of fruit. “Don’t we all know it mom. I had to find his gift and make sure he didn’t see what it was for months. Let alone any stocking stuffer type things.”

Just then Taylor laughed. “He might be hard to shop for, but he’s harder to shop with! Aleks, you have no idea how long he waffled on what he got you!”

That lead us into opening gifts. Taylor took over helping Cocoa. The first thing they opened was Cocoa’s new harness. “Look at this pretty girl!” Tay said as she got it out of the packaging. With no help she put the harness on Cocoa. Oh how fast her tail was going too!

“This is a good idea. Nice color too.” I approved, the turquoise wasn’t too girly of a color and grey is a nice neutral. It was a good thing I didn’t mind those colors as the more that was opened for Cocoa, the more of those colors I saw. The final gift for Cocoa was from Santa. It was an electronic dog door, complete with a few extra collar keys. “Whoa, you got a haul there girl!” I scratched her ears and gave her a hug.

**Aleks’ POV**

I was thrilled that Sid liked the colors I had chosen for Cocoa. They were pretty neutral and yet could be seen against her chocolate coat. I think my favorite thing that she had gotten was the light up ball from my folks. I’m sure that the Earthbath items that Sid’s folks got her would be awesome too.

I started opening Mikki’s gifts with her in my lap. I started with the gift from Sid’s folks. It was in two parts. The first one was something called the Crescent Womb. “It’s for her crib.” Trina said. “It’s supposed to mimic how she sleeps in our arms or when she was in the womb still.”

I nodded in interest. “Sounds interesting. Maybe it will help her sleep in her crib during the day.” That was something I was working towards, at least 1 nap during the day in her crib and not downstairs.

That led to opening the second half of the gift which was a Baby Bjorn Balance Bouncer. That was was happier about. It gave me another place to put her where she would be safe and have some fun.

I opened the gift from her Auntie Taylor next and giggled about it. It was a pair of St. Cloud State Huskies onesies. “Look, it’s something besides Pens gear Mikki! We can root for Auntie Tay when she plays too!” Sid snorted but the look on his face was one of pride in his sister.

The things that my folks got her was feeding items. Mostly they were Avent bottles. Oh boy did Mikki like those. Of all the bottle we had tried in the last few days, she preferred the Avent bottles to any of them. There were also some Oxo Tot on the Go spoons as well as a Bum Brush. I knew where mom had gotten the Bum Brush idea and snapped a shot of it and sent it to Vero. ‘Look what Baba got me. -Mikki’ I got back a thumbs up emoji from her and giggled.

Then it was time for our folks, as we were going last. I handed mom her package and then made sure they all had something, making sure the moms gifts matched. “Before the moms open the gifts they have. I also did something similar for the girls. I love this idea and wanted to share it with you too.” They both smiled lovingly and ripped open their gifts. It was a large plate. My mom’s had her favorite cookies on it so she couldn’t see the writing the plate. Trina sniffled as she read hers. ‘The Giving Plate This plate shall have no owner for it’s journey NEVER ends, it travels in a circle of our Family and Friends. It carries Love from home to home for everyone to share. The food that’s placed upon it was made with love and care. So please enjoy what’s on this plate then fill it up again, then pass it on and the love it holds to your family and friends.’

“Aleks, this is a lovely idea. How did you write on the plate? Is it food safe?” I laughed at the questions only because they were the same ones I had.

“Yes it’s food safe. I used sharpies and after they were dry I baked the design for an hour. Put them into a cold oven and then turn it on. Once it is up to temp, set the timer for an hour or so and then once they are done turn off the oven and let them cool. I have the one I used saved on Pinterest.” Both moms nodded, they knew where to look for the directions now.

That made the dad’s open their gifts Inside they found a WiFi photo frame. Troy looked confused as I looked. Sid explained. “We can take pictures here or wherever we are, upload them via an app and this way you won’t have to wait too long for new pictures of any of us. Aleks, Tay and I all have the app on our phones and I’m willing to make sure you know what the app is. They are easy to set up. We have a set that Tay and we have used and they work really well.”

My dad spoke up. “So wait, we won’t have to ask for pictures of you guys, you can just upload them to our frames? Do the boys know about this?”

I chuckled. “Yes, in fact this is what they both got too. Inside the box you will find the addresses for our frames and theirs as well. We want pictures of you through the year as well.”

Those were the joint gifts for the parents as a set, now it was time for individual gifts. Taylor jump ahead of us and gave her dad his gift. “You’re almost as hard to shop for as Sid, but I hope you like it.” Troy looked at her as if she were crazy and then opened the box. Inside was a Chromecast 2.0. He gaped happily. Troy loved using our Chromecast when he was here so when Taylor was looking for I knew what was perfect.

I handed my dad his gift. After opening it he laughed broadly. “Hand and foot on the go!” Yes I had found half size cards that fit better in hands for my dad’s favorite social game. I then let Sid give what he had found for the dads, felt catch all bowls. He explained to his dad that it was meant to stay here so he always had a spot to put his pocket stuff.

Troy did not show emotion easily, but I saw him tear up and hug both of his kids tightly. His voice was tight as he thanked them. “They’re perfect.”

To give Troy a chance to compose himself again, I handed the rest of the ladies in the family the gift Sid and I felt would give them the pampering they deserved, a spa day. It was pretty traditional but always welcome. Sid handed me a card of my own. “As much as I know they love having a spa day, you also deserve it. I found a place where you all will have a wonderful day. Only Aleks’ package is set so you can all find what you want or need.”

I leaned over and kissed him. I also had been doing some research for post-partum spa but what Sid had found was a lot better than what I had seeing. “Thank you. I had been looking for a good post-partum spa treatment and you have beaten me to it.”

Sid grinned. “I asked a few of the girls where they would suggest. The date is set for the 29th so I will be here to care for Mikki and you can go care for yourself for a few hours.”

Then it was time for us to give Taylor her joint family gift, the beginnings of her post college kitchen. I took the lead on giving this. “Taylor, you know that I came and helped get your dorm in order. This got me to thinking and then all of us to discussing it. We know you like to cook for your friends and teammates when you can.” I moved over and picked up the envelop we had put the key for the trunk in. “This led us to chipping in and buying you this.” I handed her the envelope.

“Aw gee, you shouldn’t have.” she joked as she took the envelope. Opening it she found the key. Looking up at us confused I moved so Sid could move the trunk in and Taylor would get it. Taylor knelt in front of the trunk cube and opened the lock. We had put pictures of everything we had gotten for her in it. She gasped.

“Unlike your brother, you can cook more than just pasta. There was a reason I check out the cooking areas in the dorm too and now you know.”

She wiped her eyes and laughed. “You’ve already made me the most popular girl on the floor by making sure I had everything others never thought of. If someone isn’t asking to borrow my vaccuum or the 5 in 1 tool they are asking how to make a board like mine from the door. This will have everyone asking me to cook all the time.”

I grinned. “Then they ask. If they want you to cook, then they can help by having ingredients too. Besides, did we say anything about having to take it all back at once? Some of the pans and such you just don’t have room for so you can leave them here where they will be safe and take only what you want. We planned for the trunk to go with you and be packed with what we all got for you. It gives you the option of making things you want, like your favorite meatloaf or on-the-go omelets and not have to worry about what else the caf might have put in it.”

She stood and threw herself at me and hugged me tightly. “Thank you so much!” Everyone laughed. “It means that I can batch cook stuff and not have to get to the caf every morning if I don’t have time or don’t want to.” She started looking through the pictures and was thrilled with what we had chosen for her. “I love all of this! The girls and I love to cook but with only a couple things we can make, it’s hard.”

I smiled. “I know how it can be. Try to cobble together enough to make food and eat it but don’t always have enough. Now you will. The trunk locks so you pain of a roommate can’t get into it while you’re gone.”

That cause Taylor to laugh even harder. “Oh I won’t have to worry about that anymore. She moved out to another room and Josie moved in. Easier not have to worry about my stuff while I’m gone. Josie knows that she can use my stuff as long as she cleans it and puts it back. Our room is so much fun now. The team knows they can come by and Josie’s other friends are welcome and we all get along.”

Trina giggled. “That why you were so happy when I visited at American Thanksgiving.” Taylor nodded. “I like Josie, she seems very nice.”

By now someone was hungry again and I didn’t want to be so full. Mikki and I slipped upstairs into what would be her room. It might be Christmas but an infant’s hunger stopped for nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, I am SO SO sorry for being such an bad author! Life has majorly gotten in the way. My RL husband has had to semi-permanently move to Oregon to care for his aging parents, we live in Alaska. Then on Dec 12th, 2016 I got run over by a kid while working breaking my fibula. I am healing well from that but it is slow.

I truly hope you all enjoy this chapter, I have been working on it for a long time. Please let me know which of my stories you most want to see updated next. I do still have plans for them!