Status: It's here!

Time Heals All Wounds

The Reconnection

“Here ya go luv,” a short pot-bellied man handed over a key from behind his counter. I tried my best to smile, he returned the gesture exposing the few teeth he still had before I turned and exited the office building walking over to where the motel rooms were. I awkwardly lugged myself and my baggage up the flight of stairs before walking along the balcony and coming to a stop in front of a door. The rusted ’23’ looked sad on the faded red door. I couldn’t complain it was cheap and it was somewhere to stay until I could figure out what I was going to do.

Unlocking the door I shoved it open and spilled inside, my suitcases hitting the ground with a thud. Flicking the light on I looked around the room, it was small and slightly cramped, but I couldn’t complain, walls were decorated with fading wall paper and a few small pictures hung on the walls. Kicking my suitcases further into the room I pushed the door closed.

Walking over to the single bed I sat down thinking over everything that had just happened. Pulling my phone out of my jean pocket I unlocked the screen looking at my wallpaper a lump instantly rose in my throat but I quickly swallowed it down clicking into my contacts. Filtering down I came to his name.

’Fletch’

My best friend.

The one person I hadn’t spoken to for more then a year. Did he want to talk to me after everything? Would he simply hang up on me? All these questions buzzed around in my mind. My finger hovered over his name as I debated with myself whether or not to hit it. Throwing all caution to the wind I pressed the call button. My heart was hammering and I was shaking with nerves as I placed the device near my ear and waited.

One ring.

Two rings.

Three Rings.

As each ring passed the more I wanted to hang up and give up but before the fourth tone I heard his voice over the speaker.

“Hello?” it was thick and groggy as if he had been sleeping. Instantly I felt worse. “Hello?” his voice came again this time he was more alert.

“H-Hey…” I stammered and my voice was soft. “Fletch.”

“Elkie?” it was a question, I could hear the confusion in his voice. “Elkie is that you?”

“Yeah… it’s me.”

“Why are you calling me at like three in the morning?” he groaned, I heard a rustle and instantly I felt bad. He was with someone and I had disturbed them.

“Sorry, I can call back another time if you have company.” apologising was my strongest suit since being with Niall I had learned the art of saying sorry in several different situations.

“No don’t be stupid. I don’t have company you should know this by now. I am not very good with talking to the ladies.” that was true, Fletch never had been very good at picking up women and the few he had were incredibly drunk and didn’t remember anything the next morning.

“Then what am I, a duck?” I joked, he chuckled on the other end of the line and I instantly felt better, just hearing his voice finally over the last year and a bit and still being able to make him laugh meant a lot to me. It meant he hadn’t forgotten me and wasn’t bitter.

“You know what I mean Elk…” my eyes filled with tears. ‘Elk’ the nickname he bestowed upon me when we were four, well actually I was still three and about to turn four. God I had missed him more than anything, he was the one person I could tell everything and since not having him around I haven’t been able to tell anyone everything that I had been bottling up inside.

“I left him,” the words tumbled from my lips, the line went silent for a few moments before a sigh echoed from the other line then he spoke.

“When?”

“About an hour ago… Fletch you were right he was an arsehole! He didn’t love me. He just used me for sex, an easy release and I was stupid and naive to go along with it…” my voice broke and the sobs that had been forming in my chest broke from my lips. “The worst thing was I loved him… I thought he might change but he didn’t… he even had another woman. This one he paraded around with while I was left in the dark…” an ache bloomed in my chest, a pain that hurt more than I had ever felt before. I gripped the collar of my shirt tightly trying to speak but the words didn’t come instead I was left hyperventilating as I tried desperately to form words.

“Where are you Elk?” his tone was soothing and full of emotion, sympathy, as he tried to calm me down. I inhaled deeply but it did nothing.

“Her-Hermans… I-Inn.” I hiccuped.

“I’ll be there soon Elk… Hang tight.” there was silence before he spoke again. “I love you Elkie Bear.” a wavering smile spread across my face as tears ran down my cheeks in ribbons.

“I-I lov-love you too… Fletch-er.” with that he told me to wait by the door before hanging up. I pulled the device from my ear and threw it onto the bed as I shakily pulled myself to my feet and walked over to the door pressing my back against it and sliding down as I waited for Fletch to arrive.

~~~


“Elkie!” his yelling alerted me, pulling myself to my feet I unlocked my room door yanking it open I poked my head out and saw him, he was walking along the walkway yelling out. He was dressed in a pair of dark denim jeans and a navy hoodie.

“Fletch…” my voice was shaky. Pushing myself out the doorway I hurried over to him clumsily tripping over my feet thankfully he had quick reflexes and was able to catch me before I hit the floor. He bundled me into his arms and carried my back to my room kicking the door closed behind him.

“Elk are you alright? You are shaking like a leaf?” his arms tightened around me as he drew me closer to him I didn’t want to talk so I simply shook my head burying my face the warmth of his body trying to ease the ache that was still in my chest. I allowed my pain to be shown, my tears came fiercely and my sobs deep from inside me. Fletch didn’t say anything as he sat down on the bed, he simply held me close rocking gently back and forth allowing me to let it all out.

“I loved him Fletch! I loved him so fucking much!”

“I know you did Elk…” his tone was soft as he pressed a gentle kiss to the top of my head holding me until the ache in my chest dulled and my tears dried.
♠ ♠ ♠
OKAY HERE IT IS the next chapter! This one I wanted to show more of the friendship that Elkie lost while she was with Niall. How great is Fletch the sweetie!

Anyway I want to thank CarryOn for comment and also to all those wonderful people who recommended and subscribed you guys rock you know who you are!

Until Next Time
Cheers Esther :)
Image