Gary

...::...

“All better?” Graham asks as he tends to Emma’s cut.

“Yeah,” Emma said as she looks at him. She stands up and kisses him deeply. And he remembers.

The Huntsman sees the wolf with two different-colored eyes. He sees himself fighting at the tavern. He sees the evil queen. He remembers meeting Snow White. The whistle. The deer. The symbol. The letter.

His heart.

With a gasp, Graham staggers backward.

“Graham,” Emma says, worried. “Are you okay?”

“I remember,” he answers.

“Graham?” she says again.

“I remember.”

“You remember what?”

Graham grabs each side of Emma’s face with his hands. He holds her and looks into her eyes. “Thank you,” he says. And as he goes to kiss her for the second time, he falls to the ground.

“Graham?” Emma asks. “Graham!” She repeatedly yells his name and shakes him, unsuccessful.

...::...

“That’s sad, Grandma,” the little girl in the bed said as she clung to her stuffed giraffe.

“I know, Baby,” the elderly woman voiced. “It is sad. But sometimes endings aren’t always as happy as they should be.”

“Why?”

“Because, Jamie. That’s the way life is sometimes.” She took the blanket and tucked the child in. “Goodnight, Jamie.”

...::...

“That’s bad for you, you know,” he said with a smile on his face. Jamie took the cigarette out of her mouth and exhaled. “Causes cancer.”

“Who are you,” she asked as she took another drag. “Did my grandma send you to check up on me?” She took a hop off of the short brick wall she had been sitting on. “I don’t need someone to follow me around all day,” she said before she threw her cigarette onto the snowy ground and stepped on it with her foot.

“I’m just a guy making an observation,” the man said. “I’m Gary.” He held out his hand, which Jamie looked at before she hesitantly took it into her own.

Jamie noticed that he was older than her. Around thirty, maybe, compared to her own twenty-three. She nonchalantly told him her name before she let go. “Now that you’ve made your observation, I should get going.” Jamie picked her backpack off the ground and started to head up the brick steps into the library.

“Wait,” Gary said before Jamie could turn her back to him. “There’s something I need to tell you.” Nobody said anything for a moment.

“Well?” she said after he hadn’t said anything. “What is it?”

“I’m not sure.” He had a defeated look on his face. “That’s the thing. I’ve forgotten.” Jamie looked at him strangely.

“Well,” she said. “It was nice to meet you, Mr. Crazy Man. I guess I’ll be seeing you.” And with a sarcastic bow, she was off.

...::...

“Grandma,” Jamie said as she walked through the door of the small home she shared with her grandmother. “I’m home.” She sat down on the couch to untie her shoes. “Something weird happened today,” she continued after she got no response. “This guy walked up and just started talking to me.” She continued to tell the story of Gary, careful to leave out the part about her smoking, as she got up and made her way to the doorway of the kitchen. “It was just so…” she stopped. “Grandma?” Her grandmother was standing in front of the sink, looking out the window. “Grandma, what’s wrong?”

“Something is different.” Jamie made her way to stand beside her and look out the window. “Something has changed.”

“What’s different?” Jamie asked. “I don’t see anything.” She looked at her grandmother’s face in the reflection. “What are you talking about?”

“I’ve forgotten.” Jamie turned to look at her grandmother. “I think I forgot.”

“What do you mean? Forgot what?” Jamie was about to keep asking questions when there was a knock at the door.

“Would you get that?” Jamie was asked of her grandmother as she continued to stare out the window.

Still confused, Jamie took one last long look at her grandmother, only moving when another knock was heard. She made her way to the front door and opened it to see the man from earlier.

“Hey,” Gary said sheepishly as he rubbed the back of his neck. “So, don’t be mad, but I followed you home.”

“Grandma!” Jamie yelled as she shut and locked the door. She continued to talk as she made her way back to the kitchen. “Grandma. This weird guy is at the door. He followed me home from the library. Call the police.” It seemed as though she hadn’t heard her. Jamie took her shoulders and turned her around the face her. “Do you hear me? We need to call the police.” She seemed to have heard her that time.

“Call the police?” her grandmother said, as she seemed to come back to normal. “Why? He’s probably harmless.” She made her way to the front door to open it while Jamie objected, peeking her face from behind the kitchen doorway. As the door was opened, Jamie turned her body to where she was hidden from the living room. “Oh dear Lord,” she heard her grandmother say. Thinking the worst, Jamie grabbed a pot that was sitting on the stove and ran into the living room.

“Jamie,” her grandmother said calmly, holding her hand up. “Don’t be rude.” She turned her attention to the man outside. “It’s you.” She took her hand and touched Gary’s face.

“Um,” Gary started, confused. “Yeah. I guess. Listen, I’m not sure who you are or who you think I am, but maybe you could help me.”

“Graham,” the old lady interrupted, her hand still on his cheek. Tears came to her eyes as she stared at him. “It’s been so long. Where have you been?”

Gary took the moment to look around the older woman at Jamie. “Uh, Grandma?” Jamie questioned. “What are you doing?”

“Remembering.”

...::...

“So what do you think?” Jamie asked as she sat on the porch railing, taking out a cigarette. It wasn’t until she looked behind her to make sure her grandmother was out of site before she took the first drag.

“I don’t know what to make of it,” Gary responded, putting his elbows on the railing beside her. “Why do you do that? It’s really a disgusting habit.”

“We’ve got other things to worry about,” Jamie said, unfazed by his staring. “Should we believe her? That you’re some reincarnate of a man she was in love with from a fairytale where fictional characters were brought to life? And if this is true, why do I live in Alpena, Michigan and not some castle surrounded by an enchanted forest?”

“I don’t know,” Gary said. “But I do know that I was drawn to you earlier today. That’s kind of like magic, right?” He put on a cheesy smile as Jamie turned to look at him.

“How about not?” she responded, taking a final draft from her cigarette and throwing it into the snow, only to jump from the railing and start walking towards the sidewalk, Gary following her.

“But seriously, Jamie, I was drawn to you. It’s like I needed to be with you. To be near you. And I know that sounds weird or whatever, but this is where I’m supposed to be. Right next to you.” As soon as he was finished speaking, Jamie turned to look at him, in his eyes and at his face. “And I think the queen did this.” At that, Jamie rolled her eyes and continued to walk. “I’m serious, Jamie. I think your grandmother was right. I think this is real. How else do you explain the fact that I don’t have parents?”

“What? What do you mean you don’t have parents?”

“I don’t! At least, I don’t remember having parents. I don’t even remember having memories before a few years ago, actually.” Jamie gave an incredulous look. “I know it sounds strange. But it’s true. And if I’m a huntsman and I betrayed what the queen wanted, then why wouldn’t she try to get back at me for not giving her Snow White’s heart?”

Jamie stopped in her tracks and spun around. “Are you kidding me, Gary? Really? Snow White and the Evil Queen? It’s ridiculous.”

“Well, I guess there’s only one way to find out.”

“And what would that be?” Jamie took out another cigarette and lit it, to which Gary gave a look.

“Who’s the most evil person you know?”

“Gary, please. I don’t know any evil people. That’s stupid.” And then Jamie gave a look. “Unless you count Dr. Rochester.”

“Who’s Dr. Rochester?”

“She’s the Chancellor of my school. But she’s not an evil queen. She’s just a really mean Chancellor who has a stick up her ass.”

...::...

“Are you ready?” Gary asked after Jamie came out of the door, dressed in dark jeans and a black sweater. “Well, don’t you look mischievous?”

“You said we needed to be inconspicuous, right? This was the best I could do. Now, let’s go,” Jamie said as she shut the door quietly behind her. “I can’t believe you talked me into breaking into the school at this time of night. It’s, like, eight o’clock. People are still out roaming around. You couldn’t have picked midnight or something?”

“I figured there’d be night classes,” Gary responded. “This way the doors would be unlocked and we wouldn’t have to worry about it too much.” Jamie responded with a nod, acknowledging that the idea was actually kind of smart. “So how are we going to get there?”

“I usually take my bike,” Jamie said, walking into towards the back yard. “There’s an extra one in here you can borrow.” Jamie opened the shed and walked in, bringing out two bicycles a few minutes later.

“This is a bike for a boy,” Gary said. “Having late-night guests when old Grandma isn’t looking, are we?”

“It was my brother’s,” Jamie responded as she walked her bike towards the road, a blank expression on her face.

“Okay.”

...::...

“Well, here it is,” Gary said as he looked at the sign by the entrance of the school. “Alpena Community College.”

“Don’t get all dramatic,” Jamie said, rolling her eyes. “Let’s go.” They let their bikes drop in the bushes in front of the sign and made their way up the walkway and into the school.

“You do know where to go, right?” Gary asked.

“Yes,” Jamie said annoyed. “I told you I’ve been to her office before. Now stop asking.”

“I’m just making sure, okay?”

“Look,” Jamie whispered loudly as she rounded on him. “I could get in a lot of trouble for this. I’m supposed to graduate at the end of the semester, and this could set that back. So be happy I’m helping you at all, and please, just shut up.”

“Got it,” Gary responded with a quick salute.

“Here it is,” Jamie said after a short while later. She took a key out of her pocket, to which Gary looked at, confused, and unlocked the door. It opened silently, and closed the same way behind them. “Okay. Let’s get what you’re here to get and leave.”

“I don’t know what that is, yet,” Gary said as he started looking through drawers in the desk.

“What,” Jamie exclaimed in the same whisper as before. “You don’t even know what you’re looking for?”

“Hey, I’ll know it when I see it, okay?” Gary said as he tried to open the last drawer, which was locked. “Speaking of. Come here. Use your key to unlock this.”

Jamie walked around the desk and took out her key. “There we go,” she said as the drawer slid open. She slowly took out a box and set it on top of the desk. “It’s locked. And my key won’t fit it.”

“How do you know?” Gary asked with his eyebrows raised as he looked down at her. Jamie opened her mouth to question him, but given everything her grandmother had told her earlier that day, about magic and fairytales, she figured she’d give it a shot. She slowly pushed the modern key into the old time-y lock of the box.

“Oh my God,” Jamie said, surprised. “It fits.” She steadily turned the key and lifted the lid to the box. “It’s a mirror,” she said, with a slightly puzzled look on her face. “Why is something like this so important that she would need to lock it in a box?” She stuck her hand out to pick it up when a hand stopped her.

“Don’t,” Gary said. “Let me.” He picked up the mirror and stared into it, only seeing his reflection. It wasn’t until Jamie moved closer to him and looked into it at the same time that a green light started to glow and a face appeared. Jamie screamed and Gary dropped the mirror in surprise. “Let’s go!” They left everything, running out the door.

...::...

“Well, what’s our next move?” Jamie asked as they sat across from each other at John Boy’s, a local restaurant, eating pancakes. “I can’t believe she had a magic mirror.”

“I don’t know what to do.” Gary put his face in his hands, rubbing his eyes. “But I saw something.” Jamie froze, looking up at him. “I saw who I was before. She sent me here. Queen Regina. I know everything now.” He stared at the table.

“Gary?” Jamie said. Gary looked up at her. She had her hand outstretched on the table, and he put his hand into hers. “We’re going to figure this out. We’re going to get you home. Okay? We’ll do it. We’ll figure out what to do.”

“What happened to your brother?” Jamie was startled at the question, not expecting it. “Earlier you said the bicycle was your brother’s. What happened to him?”

“Lucas was adopted,” Jamie said. “My parents adopted him when he was four, a couple of years before they had me. When he was seventeen, he and my parents were in a car accident and they died. And now I live with my grandmother.”

“I don’t know what to say,” Gary said, squeezing the hand he still held.

“What did you see in the mirror?” Jamie asked, changing the topic. “What was your life like before Alpena?”

“I was a huntsman,” Gary said. “Like what your grandmother said. The queen hired me to kill Snow White. You’re great-grandmother. I couldn’t do it. But in Storybrooke, she destroyed my heart. I was in love with your grandmother, Jamie.”

“Do you miss her?” Jamie asked.

“I don’t know. I remember, but I don’t remember the feelings I had when I was with her.” Gary took this opportunity to let go of Jamie’s hand and stood up. “Let’s get out of here. We need to figure out our next move. You can stay at my place tonight.”

...::...

“Yeah, I’m staying with Whitney tonight.” After Jamie had gotten to Gary’s house, she used his phone to call her grandmother since she left her cell phone on her bed before their break in. “All right, Grandma. I love you, too.”

“Here,” Gary said, coming into the room with sweat pants. “You can wear these.”

“Thanks,” Jamie said with a small smile as she made her way into his bathroom, coming out a few minutes later wearing the pants and the red tank top that she was wearing under her black sweater. “So where do we start?” Jamie asked as she sat on the couch next to him.

“Where does Dr. Rochester live?”

“No,” Jamie responded. “Absolutely not. I am not breaking into her house. I’m not risking not being able to graduate.”

“You don’t have to break in,” Gary said. “You’ve been into her house before, right?”

“How do you know that?”

“You have a key to her office, Jamie,” Gary said. “You’ve most likely been to her house. All we have to do is think of a reason to be there.”

“You can’t go,” Jamie said, deciding to go along with the plan.

“What do you mean? Why not?”

“She’ll know who you are,” Jamie responded. “If she sent you here, she’ll recognize you. And then she’ll know that I know who you are. We can’t do that.”

“What if you need me? What if you get into trouble?”

“Having you there will get me into trouble. And it’s safer for you if you stay here.” Jamie said, turning to face him, sitting cross-legged.

Gary turned to her and looked at her. “Okay. I’ll stay.” He lifted his hand and touched her face, moving a piece of her hair that had gotten stuck in her eyes.

“Thank you,” Jamie said, not looking away from him.

“You’re welcome.” He leaned forward. Right as their lips were about to touch, they were forced away from each other by something they couldn’t see. Jamie made an ‘oof’ sound as she was thrown against the wall opposite of Gary. Soon, papers from notebooks and random objects from inside the house started to swarm around as the windows opened and the cold, snowy air came in and the lights flickered.

“What’s happening!” Jamie yelled over the howl of the wind.

“I don’t know!” Gary yelled back. “Hang on!” He tried to make his way towards her, and she, him. They met behind the couch in the middle of the room, hanging on to each other. Jamie started gasping, losing air. “Jamie! What’s wrong?”

“I can’t breathe,” she gasped as her grip on his loosened. She started coughing and sputtering.

“Stay with me, Jamie!” Right before Jamie fell to the floor, Gary started feeling the same way, coughing and wheezing. And then, for the both of them, everything went black.

...::...

Jamie gasped hard, sitting up from the floor. The first thing she noticed was that it was cold, and she was still in her tank top. She wrapped her arms around her, shivering, noticing her breath as she breathed out. The second thing she noticed was that she was in what looked like a sort of dungeon.

“Good morning,” Jamie heard. She turned around to see Mrs. Rochester.

Jamie had always known Dr. Rochester as a stern person. Stern, but fair. She always wore pant suits that showed her authority. But this time, she was wearing an elegant black and green dress that flowed to the ground, along with a black coat and a golden crown.

“Dr. Rochester.” Jamie said. “You’re the evil queen.”

“Oh, come now,” Dr. Rochester said. “Regina will do just fine. And I wouldn’t say I was evil. How about,” she paused, “determined. Determined and willing to do anything.”

“Where is he?” Jamie asked as she stood up, unwrapping her arms from around herself, not wanting to seem cold and small in front of her.

“Yes. Your little huntsman boyfriend. He’s still out. Should be waking up any moment now.”

“What do you want?”

“Justice, Darling.” She gave a small smile.

“For what?” Jamie asked. “You already got Gary back in Storybrooke.” Regina raised her eyebrows in surprise. “You shattered his heart and you killed him.”

“And now I know,” the queen said. Jamie gave a questioning look. “I thought Emma was here. See, I brought the huntsman back to find you.”

“But his heart…”

“I’m a witch, Dear. I can do anything. That includes bringing people back from the dead.” Regina gave a wicked smile. “I brought him here to find you and your grandmother.”

“How did you know he’d find us?”

“Once a huntsman, always a huntsman. I knew he’d feel you. You’re in Emma’s bloodline and he knows Emma from his former life in Storybrooke. You see, I thought he’d find Emma first. But what a delicious surprise to me that it was you he found.”

“How did you know he found me?”

“My mirror,” Regina stated as if it were obvious. “Do keep up, Dearie. I was alerted by the mirror in my home earlier and was shown your faces. It was then that I knew it was you. See, I thought one of my students was a descendant of Snow White. I just wasn’t sure which. And I never thought it would be you. You never seemed to have the bravery that Snow and your grandmother had when I knew them together. Always playing it safe. Hiding away from extracurriculars and getting on stages or being in a spotlight. I thought you might have some sort of valor.”

“Hello!” A voice was heard through one of the walls. “Jamie!”

“Gary!” Jamie yelled. She turned her attention back onto Regina. “Where is he?”

“And there it is,” Regina said. “The weakness. You’ve all got one. And it somehow always seems to be a boy. Honestly, it’s growing rather old.”

“I’m not going to ask you again,” Jamie said, her teeth grinding. “Where is he?”

“Touchy,” the queen stated. With a snap of her fingers, Gary was right behind Regina. Jamie made a run for him. Regina lifted her hand, sending Jamie flying back into the cold brick of the dungeon wall.

“Jamie!” Gary yelled. He started to run toward her until Regina lifted her hand again, making him stop where he was. Jamie grunted, lifting herself off of the ground, holding her torso with her right arm, breathing heavily as she struggled to get up.

“Why did you want to find me?” Jamie questioned, her breathing raspy as she struggled.

“Justice,” Regina reiterated.

“Why? For what?”

“Your grandmother caused me quite a deal of trouble in Storybrooke,” Regina said. “Because of her, many of my plans were foiled. So now I want you.”

“Want me to what?”

“Help me take over Misthaven.”

“Jamie, no!”

“Quiet!” Regina yelled, silencing Gary. She turned her attention back to Jamie. “I want you to help me take over the Enchanted Forest. And I think it could be worth your while.” Regina lifted the hand not keeping Gary in place, and in front of Jamie appeared Lucas. Jamie stood straight.

“How?” Jamie questioned. “Lucas? How?”

“I’m a witch,” Regina said simply.

The Lucas standing in front of Jamie was still seventeen. He was blond and muscular, just like he was when he died. Jamie walked up to him and placed her hand on his cheek. “It’s me, Jamie.” They were both crying silently. Jamie went to hug her brother when he disappeared. “No!” Jamie exclaimed.

Regina simply looked at her. “I’ll give you some time to think it over.” With that, Jamie and Gary appeared back in the living room of his house.

...::...

Jamie had been silently sitting on the couch for the rest of the night. Gary had put a cup of coffee in front of her earlier, but it had long been forgotten, not cold. Gary slowly put his arm around the girl. “Jamie?” he finally said after a while.

“What do I do?” Jamie asked. She started crying, burying her head into his chest and holding on to his shirt. He put his arm around her side, and as soon as he brushed it, she flinched.

“Let me look at it,” Gary said. “Here. Lay down.” Jamie lied down on the couch and let him raise her shirt enough to see a bruise from the brick wall on her left side. It had some small cuts and one larger gash going across it. “I’ll be right back.” He came back a few moments later with some alcohol, bandages, and a rag. “This is probably going to hurt,” Gary said as he looked at her. But she didn’t seem to be paying attention. She was looking at the ceiling, her arm over her forehead, tears silently streaming down her face. Gary rubbed some alcohol on her wound, her wincing a bit, and then bandaged her up. He then grabbed her hand, slowly leading her to his bedroom, and she willingly followed.

“Sleep,” Gary commanded as he laid her down.

“What do I do?” Jamie asked again.

“I don’t know,” Gary said. He started to make his way out of the bedroom when he heard her speak again.

“Will you lay down with me?” He turned around, simply nodded, and laid down beside her, her back to his chest. She slowly rolled over, straining a bit against her side, and faced him. She touched his face, feeling the slight stubble on his cheek. She carefully moved her face towards his, until their lips were connected.

It was slow at first, and then got faster as the moments went by, before they knew it, Jamie was on top of Gary, pulling her shirt off. She kissed him more as he rubbed his hands through her hair. Eventually, they were naked together.

Gary rolled her, him laying over her. “Are you sure?” he asked.

“It’s the only thing I’m sure of right now.”

It was three in the morning. Gary was sleeping, his arm around Jamie’s waste. Jamie was lying awake, staring at the ceiling. It wasn’t until she stood up and started putting on her clothes that Gary moved for the first time. “What’s going on?” he questioned.

Jamie looked at him with an excited look on her face. “I know what to do.”

Gary sat up then, looking at her.

“I’m going to get my brother back.”

...::...

It was early in the morning. Jamie was sitting on Regina’s couch, Regina sitting in a chair across from her. She was not in her normal pantsuit instead of the gown and crown.

“I’m going to help you,” Jamie said.

“And where’s your huntsman?” Regina asked. Jamie’s face fell.

“He didn’t understand.” She bowed her head, looking at the floor. Regina walked to her, lifting her head by the chin with her hand.

“They never do,” she said, seemingly sympathetic. Regina sat down on the couch next to Jamie. “Why do you want to help me?”

“I want Lucas back,” Jamie said. “I want him back, so I’m going to help you. But I have conditions.”

“Of course you do,” Regina said, annoyed. “Let me guess. ‘Nobody gets hurt, nobody dies, yadda yadda.’”

“I’m serious,” Jamie responded. “My grandmother is fine and she stays that way. Nothing will happen to Gary. He stays here, in Michigan, and he stays alive.”

“Is that all?” Regina asked.

“And Lucas stays with my grandmother.” Regina looked surprised. “If I’m gone, she’s going to need him.”

“Very well,” Regina said sternly. “Here. Grab my hand.”

“How are you?” Regina asked as she sat down next to Jamie on the balcony they shared leading from their rooms.

“The dress is kind of weird,” Jamie said, picking up the blue silk her straight gown was made from. Regina smiled, Jamie thought, almost warmly.

“It’s something you have to get used to. I remember the first time I wore something like this,” Regina said, looking down at her own black dress, similar in style to Jamie’s. “I was sixteen and I almost fell on my face tripping over it.” Regina laughed remembering, making Jamie laugh a bit, as well. “Are you ready for tomorrow?”

“I think so,” Jamie responded, nodding confidently.

Tomorrow was the day they were going to start movement in their plan of taking over the Misthaven. They had only been there for a day after Regina lead Jamie into the woods to the magical tree that lead them to the realm they were now in. “I recently found this tree,” Regina had said. “I only thought there was one.” The way she lead her was almost motherly. It made Jamie feel said for Regina, wondering why she didn’t have any children.

“When does Lucas go to my grandmother?” Jamie asked.

“In time,” Regina said, patting Jamie’s leg. They looked out at the forest together. And then Regina furrowed her eyebrows. “What’s that?” She asked. She leaned forward and looked at Jamie, who was already up and running out of her room.

“Jamie!” Regina yelled, seething.

Downstairs, Jamie met up with Gary who was leading what could only be called a mob to Regina’s castle.

“You found everyone?” Jamie asked, grabbing Gary’s hand and turning to face the castle doors.

“I found everyone.”

Jamie turned toward the group behind her. “Have you told everyone the plan?” she asked Gary.

“They know.” Gary looked at her and squeezed her hand. “You ready?”

“Let’s go.”

...::...

The fire surrounded the two. Jamie’s dress was torn in various places, her brown hair that was up in a glorious updo now falling around her face. The dagger was in her hand, raised above the chest of the Evil Queen, who seemed ready to give up.

“I pitied you,” Jamie said quietly. “I felt sorry for you. And I still do you. You don’t have anybody and it makes me sad.”

“I hate pity,” Regina said. “And I do not accept it.” Regina waved her hand and in front of Jamie came the image of Lucas.

After Gary and Jamie had run into the castle, the mob of creatures and princes and princesses and thieves and people of Misthaven threw their torches into the windows and doors of the castle, setting it ablaze. Tinkerbell had flown in with them, being their escape plan. When they had Regina in a corner they realized the fire was too much for them. Settling for her to burn to her death, Tink showered Jamie and Gary with Pixie Dust. Gary flew out, thinking Jamie was right behind him. As Jamie started to fly away, Regina grabbed her by the ankle, yanking her to the ground. Regina had taken out her dagger, cutting across Jamie’s face. A fight ensued, in which Jamie had won, now putting them in the aforementioned spots.

“Not this time,” Jamie said, pushing Lucas out of the way, pushing the dagger deep into Regina’s chest. She turned around to face Lucas, who slowly started to fade away. Jamie then started to cry. “I’m so sorry,” she said. “I love you.”

“I love you, too,” Lucas said, a small smile on his face. He waved, and he was gone.

Suddenly, another image appeared. Lucas and her parents were in a car, driving. She watched the accident that killed all three of them. And in the background, a familiar figure. Regina.

Jamie turned her attention back onto the evil queen, who was still alive, gasping. “Tell me why!” Jamie yelled. “Why my family? Why not just me?”

“I needed you to have nothing,” Regina said as she gasped for air.

“You said you didn’t know it was me. You said you didn’t know I was the student at Alpena.”

“I didn’t,” Regina said.

“Then how?”

“Your mother,” Regina said. “She was a descendant of Snow. I could feel it. That was the first day I saw her. I was afraid I had killed all the descendants, but I knew you were here. I knew someone was still alive. Now time for my question.”

“What?”

“How did he get here so quickly?”

“My grandmother. She knew there was a tree. That’s why she moved here.”

“Well,” Regina gasped, putting a small, evil smile on her face. “I guess we might actually be related, huh? We think alike.” With that, Jamie pushed the blade deep into Regina’s chest, piercing her heart.

Jamie quickly made her way out the front doors of the castle when she fell, he arm connecting with a fallen beam that was engulfed in flames. Gary ran toward her, grabbing her hands and putting the fire out that was on her sleeve. They ran a safe distance away and stood in front of the crowd, watching the castle fall. It wasn’t until it was over that Gary and Jamie looked at each other.

“We did it,” Gary said.

“We did it.”

They looked at each other deeply, and they kissed even deeper. They separated soon after, turning back to look at the fire, the glow shimmering across both of their faces, making them look absolutely beautiful to each other.

And they lived happily ever after.