Eternal Thirst

Chapter Thirteen;

****Three Months Later****

Lyra opened her eyes slowly, squinting at the sudden sunlight. She yawned, stretching her arms into the air as she rolled over.

"Good morning."

Lyra jumped, only to relax when she realized it was just Zach. She yawned again, scooting closer towards him and burying her head in the blankets. "Morning."

Zach wrapped an arm around her, pulling her closer towards him. "How are you today?"

Lyra lifted her head up to look at him, pecking him on the lips. "Tired, and not ready for the day."

Zach chuckled, "Sounds about right."

Lyra rested her head on his chest, "Any word from Sam and Dean?"

She felt Zach tense beneath her and she already knew the answer before he ever said it. "Not yet, Emma is still out searching. Michael is going to go with her this weekend but I don't think they're going to find anything."

"I don't know if I like the idea of Michael going off for the weekend." Lyra mumbled, picking at Zach's shirt. "He's only sixteen."

"Yeah and Emma is seventy-seven and a vampire." He pressed his lips to her forehead, "They'll be fine."

Lyra sighed, "You're right. What are the plans for today?" She had just noticed that he was fully dressed.

Zach tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear, "Well, I was going through some of the woods again. And we have that dance tonight. That's something, right? How's Skylinn doing?"

Lyra sighed, "Not good. She's basically tuned out the entire world. All she ever does is feed and train with Matt." Lyra locked eyes with him, her eyebrows knitting together with worry. "I'm worried, Zach. You don't think she'll turn it off, do you?"

Zach pursed his lips, "I doubt it. Just because vampires have the option to turn of their humanity doesn't mean they all do. If anything, it helps her stay sane. Her humanity is all that's keeping her alive right now."

Lyra nodded, her face scrunching up as if she was still thinking things through. Zach lifted her chin up, causing her to look up at him. "It's okay, just go be with Skylinn, okay? She needs you."

Lyra nodded, stretching up and placing her lips on his. They molded together easily and Zach placed a hand on her waist, lifting her on top of him. "Okay, maybe take a break for just a little bit."

Lyra giggled, reaching forward and lifting up his shirt over his head. “Maybe...just for a little bit."

-------

Emma ran a hand through her hair, tapping her fingers on the counter. "Michael, c'mon!"

After a moment he appeared, a backpack slung over one shoulder. "Chill, I'm right here."

Emma grumbled to herself and she stomped past him, throwing open the front door and making her way to the car. Michael slowly followed, his eyebrows raised. "What's with you?"

Emma didn't answer as she tried the car door handle, silently cursing when she realized it was locked. "Unlock the car."

"Not until you tell me what's wrong."

Emma glared at him, "I'm still mad at you."

Michael stared curiously at her, "about what?"

"About what you did, that night Sam left."

Michael's mouth formed around an 'oh', slowly closing again. "I was trying to protect you."

"I can protect myself!" Emma half shouted. She hadn't realized how angry she actually was until he had asked her about it. "I'm a vampire, Michael. I can handle myself, I don't need you!"

“Hey, a little louder, I don't think the entire town heard you yet."

They glared at each other, Emma finally spinning around and kicking the car, leaving a small dent in the side. "That wasn't your call, Michael."

"Well maybe I didn't want you to get hurt."

"I wouldn't have gotten hurt-"

"You don't know that!" his sudden outburst caused Emma to shrink back against the car. "I care about you, Emma." He dropped his backpack, advancing towards her. "And I'm sorry that I don't want you to get hurt. Please excuse my feelings!"

Emma stared at him, "I care about you too, Michael. Maybe I didn't want you getting hurt."

Michael glared at her, his deep brown eyes boring into hers. Suddenly, much to her surprised, he moved forward, standing only a foot away from her now. "Well maybe that wasn't your call either."

She stared up at him, her face flushing red when she realized how close he was. Suddenly, she stood up on her toes, pressing her lips to his. He froze against her, but as she started to pull away he leaned into her. His hands settling on her waist as he tugged her closer, their lips moving together. She wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him roughly. This was what she had been waiting for, ever since she'd met him she'd wanted this. And in that moment, as he started to kiss her back, she realized, he was worth the wait.

---------

"It's Sam leave a message..."

Skylinn sighed into the phone, thinking about what she was going to say this time around.

"Hey, Sam, it's me, again. Figured I'd give you another call and update you on all the drama around here."

She bit her bottom lip, "Schools out, finally. I'm thinking about maybe just finishing my classes online. It's getting to hard to try and be normal again after everything that's happened. We haven't heard anything from Levi or Clarence or whatever the hell he calls himself. Matt thinks they may just be on the run now. But anyways, it's almost Christmas time...that used to be our favorite holiday."

She took in a deep breath, rubbing a hand on the back of her neck. "Look, I hate to leave this on your voicemail but...I miss you..." She sighed deeply, "and I really wish you were here..."

She pulled the phone away from her ear, clicked the end button and rested it against her chin. She huffed and fell back onto her bed, glaring up at the ceiling as if it would fix all her problems. She stayed like that, hardly breathing for almost an hour before she heard a soft tapping on her door. She turned her head to the side, smirking when she spotted Lyra leaning up against the door-frame. "Can I come in?"

Skylinn motioned around with her hands and Lyra stepped into the room, walking over and laying down beside Skylinn. "Still no answer, huh?"

Skylinn shook her head, "Same as before." She continued to glare up at the ceiling, "It's been three months, Lyra. You'd think he would have gotten over himself and come home by now."

Lyra shrugged, "He's having a rough time with it, Sky. He'll come around. Emma is still out looking for him, so is everyone else. We'll find him."

Skylinn pursed her lips, "Yeah, well screw that."

She pushed herself to her feet so quickly it caused Lyra to jump. Skylinn fixed her shirt before strutting over towards her closet, pulling open the double doors and starting to go through a rack of clothes. Lyra sat up, raising an eyebrow as she watched Skylinn toss clothes to the ground. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" Skylinn lifted up a light blue dress, crinkling up her nose at it and tossing it behind her. "I'm getting over Sam."

Lyra smirked, causing Skylinn to look over her shoulder at her. "What?"

Lyra chuckled, shaking her head slowly. "Nothing."

"No, what?" Skylinn narrowed her eyes at her, staring until Lyra finally gave in.

"Fine!" She folded her arms across her chest." It's just, kinda hard for you to get over someone when you never actually, well, dated them."

Skylinn raised an eyebrow at her, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Lyra shrugged her shoulders, "You tell me." She gave Skylinn a sly smile, "Did you have, y'know, feelings for him?"

Skyline pointedly turned away, “I don’t know.”

Lyra sighed, leaning back on the bed. “You know how he feels about you, Sky. He told you he loved you. How do you feel about that?”

Skylinn gingerly touched a dress of hers, her fingers playing with the bottom of it. “I don’t know. I wasn’t expecting that. Let alone for me to find out and him just leave. I don’t know how I feel. And I’m kinda worried to find out.”

“You won’t know till you try."

“Yeah…" Skylinn turned to hide the blush that was creeping up into her cheeks. "Now c'mon. There's that dance at the high-school tonight and I want to look extremely hot. What's the decade again? 1920's?"

Lyra opened her mouth to answer but she felt a wave of nausea come over her and she barely had time to jump up, run to Skylinn's bathroom, and empty her stomach into the toilet. Skylinn was at her side in an instant, holding her hair back as Lyra emptied the contents of her stomach into the toilet. After a moment she stopped, taking in deep breathes as she flushed the toilet.

"What the hell was that?" Skylinn asked, helping Lyra to her feet.

Lyra shrugged her shoulders, "I have no idea. I've been doing that for the past few days." She pressed her palms across her forehead, hissing in pain. "God, my head is throbbing."

"I'll go get you some aspirin."

Skylinn ran outta the room, leaving Lyra alone. She turned to the mirror, wiping at her mouth and pulling her hair back into a ponytail. Skylinn returned with a glass of water and two aspirin in her hand. Lyra took them quickly, downing the entire glass of water. Skylinn raised an eyebrow at her, "You sure you're okay?"

Lyra shrugged her shoulders, refusing to make eye contact. Skylinn raised an eyebrow at her, "Lyra...what's going on?"

Lyra shuffled her feet, still refusing to make eye contact. It was in that moment, Skylinn glanced down, enhancing her hearing as she did so. She heard the soft, thump, thump, thump and her eyes widened.

"Lyra, no way."

Lyra looked up at her, her bottom lip trembling. "Way."