Eternal Thirst

Chapter Sixteen;

Her head was pounding before she even opened her eyes. Skylinn rolled her head, blinking slowly as colors and shapes seemed to blur together. After a moment things became more clear and she lifted her head up, glancing around the room. She was in a dark, circular cell with small vents on either side. She glanced down, realizing she had been bolted into a chair. She pulled hard, trying to free her wrist but to no avail. She glanced around quickly, spotting a thick metal door in front of her with a small window at the top. "Hello? Can anyone hear me?"

No response.

Skylinn cleared her throat, "Hello? Daddy?! Are you there? Why won't you talk to me?!"

A low hissing noise sounded throughout the room and Skylinn turned, watching as fog seeped out of the vents. She coughed, gasping for breath. The lock on the door unhatched and it creaked open, revealing her dad from behind it. He walked over towards her, lifting up her face to look at him. "I'm so sorry this happened to you."

Skylinn took in deep breaths, the fog having dissipated leaving her gasping. "Daddy.."

He knelt down in front of her, "I need an answer, how do you walk in the sunlight?"

"Just let me go.."

"Sweetheart, please. Just answer me, and we'll get on with it."

"Is that all you wanna know?" Skylinn wheezed, glancing up at him.

Her dad nodded, "That's all I want to know."

Skylinn breathed deeply, her gaze turning and lingering on her ring. Her father followed her gaze, landing on the ring. He took her hand in his, studying it. "Interesting.."

He pulled the ring off her finger, and Skylinn's heart started to race. "What? No, daddy, no. What are you doing?"

He tossed the ring onto the floor, standing up and walking towards the door. "Your ancestors built this place, it was supposed to be for unruly prisoners at the jail house but, they had other ideas." He started to walk around the room, but his eyes stayed on her. "Vervain ventilation system, to keep their subject weak. Reinforced steel containment chair," he looked up on the wall behind her, "and that."

Skylinn tilted her head back, spotting the window with retractable shutters. "What are you doing.."

Her dad walked out into the hall, returning a moment later. He stood in front of her, pulling out a blood bag from behind his back, holding it in-front of her face. Skylinn felt her fangs extend just at the sight and her eyes go red, she was starving. Her father pulled the bag away from her quickly, his eyes dark. "Blood controls you, sweetheart."

He walked behind her, gripping onto a metal chain. "This is how I'm going to fix you." He yanked the chain down hard, filling the room with sunlight.

Skylinn let out a high pitched scream as the sun hit her, burning her flesh. She continued to cry out, her screams echoing around the stone walls.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Are you sure she’s in trouble?” Dean asked, glancing over at his brother in the passenger seat.

Sam nodded, “I’m positive.”

Dean turned his eyes back to the road again, “So…you love this girl?”

Sam pointedly looked away, avoiding answering. Dean sighed, “Sammy, you know how hard it is with our kinda lifestyle, right? We’re always on the move. And with you being a Lycan now-“

“I’ll make it work.” Sam mumbled, turning and gazing out the passenger side window, watching as the tree zoomed past. “I’ll make anything work for her.”

Dean glanced at him again, licking his lips, his foot slowly pressing down on the gas pedal.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Lyra stepped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around herself and opening the door. She walked over towards her dresser, picking out some simple clothes to wear.

"How're you doing?"

She spun around, clutching the towel tighter to her body only to relax a moment later. "You really need to learn to knock."

Zach chuckled, though it was dry and forced. He made his way into the room, standing in-front of her. He brushed some wet hair out of her face, his fingers lingering on her cheek. "How're you doing?"

Lyra shrugged, "Okay. I'm not getting sick much anymore, though I keep wanting peaches."

Zach laughed, placing a kiss on her forehead. "I'll go get you some."

Lyra smiled, "What are we going to tell everyone?"

Zach pursed his lips, "The truth. We're going to have a baby."

"I'm only eighteen." Lyra felt her lip starting to tremble.

"And I'm only nineteen." Zach took her face in his hands. "I know I probably didn't react the way I should have and I'm sorry. But I'm going to make up for it. We can do this." He smiled at her, pecking her once on the lips. "You'll make a fantastic mom."

Lyra let out a sigh, her shoulders relaxing. "Sure. Have you heard from Skylinn?"

Zach raised an eyebrow at her, "I thought you would have?"

Lyra shook her head, "She said she was going to come over last night and she never showed. I was just about to leave to go check on her."

Zach nodded, "I'll go too." He started for the door, turning and giving Lyra a smug smile. "You should probably put some clothes on."

-----

"She's not up here!" Lyra called from the upstairs of Skylinn's house, only to appear at the top of the steps a moment later.

Zach huffed from where he stood in the kitchen, "I guess she's not home. Maybe she's with Matt?"

Lyra hopped down the steps, shaking her head. "I already called him. He hasn't seen her since last night either."

Zach pursed his lips, his eyes scanning the room. "Let's check a few places in town. Maybe she's just out running around."

Lyra nodded, following him towards the door. "Maybe."

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Her screams bounced off the walls, sounding much louder each time. The sunlight filtered into the room again, and she could feel herself breaking as she cried out again. "Please, stop! Please, stop. Daddy, please!"

The room went dark and Skylinn relaxed, her breath coming in short gasps. Tears streamed down her face as she tugged on the shackles holding her to the chair. "I don't wanna hurt anyone I swear..."

Her father walked around to face her, causing Skylinn to look up at him, her lips trembling. "I swear, I can handle the urges. I can-"

"If you could handle it, this wouldn't happen."

He held the blood bag in-front of her face again and her eyes went red instantly. He pulled the bag away from her and she whimpered. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

Her father knelt down beside her, "I'm conditioning you to associate vampirism with pain. In time the thought of human blood will make you repress your vampire instincts completely."

Skylinn was silent for a moment, shaking her head quickly. "That's impossible, I-" She glanced over at him, her cheeks stained with tears. "Daddy, you can't change who I am."

"Yes I can." He sounded as if he was trying to convince himself as he stood up, walking behind Skylinn again.

Skylinn followed him with her eyes, "No, Daddy please."

"You remember this feeling."

"No, no, no!"

But he had already pulled on the chain, sending Skylinn howling in pain again, the blood from her burning flesh dripping onto her tank top.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

"Okay, thanks." Zach hung up with phone, cursing loudly. "That was Skylinn's mom. She hasn't seen her since April."

"So that's a dead end." Lyra mumbled, running a hand through her hair. The door opened suddenly and they both turned to see Emma and Michael. They walked into the room, they're hands intertwined. Lyra stared at them, glancing down at their hands and then back up at them. It clicked in her mind a moment later and her mouth dropped open. "Oh, nuh uh!"

Michael nodded, squeezing Emma's hand. "Look Lyra-"

But he was cut off by Lyra launching herself at him, throwing small, weak punches. "What the hell is wrong with you two?!"

Zach wrapped his arms around her waist, yanking her away from him all while she struggled against him. "Let me go!"

"Lyra, calm down."

"I will not! My brother's dating a, dating a-"

"A vampire." Michael finished, pulling Emma to him. "Look, this isn't important right now. What's important is finding Skylinn, right?"

Lyra still struggled against Zach, "Let me at 'em!"

Zach tried to keep the laughter out of his voice, "Lyra, calm down, this isn't good for the baby."

"The what?" Michael and Emma said in unison, causing Lyra to become still. After a moment Zach released his grip on her and Lyra straightened her shirt, turning and glaring at him. Zach held up his hands, "Hey I didn't know you hadn't told him yet."

"Told me what?" Michael asked, releasing Emma's hand and taking a step towards his sister. Lyra sighed, running a hand her hair. She turned, fixing Michael with a look. "So, you're going to be an uncle..."

Michael's eyes went wide and behind him Emma's mouth fell open. "No way."

Lyra threw up her hands, "Way! Now can we focus on what's really important here?!"

Michael stayed rooted to the spot until Emma shoved him from behind, knocking him out of his trance. "Right, Skylinn. We checked the farmhouse and the outskirts of town, no sign of her."

Lyra groaned, stomping her feet like a two year old. "Well, where the hell is she?! She's been gone for almost two days!"

"That's what I want to know."

They all turned, their eyes going wide at the figure in Lyra's doorway. Lyra's mouth fell open with a snap, "No way.”

Sam walked into the room, Dean following behind him. “Way.”

“You…” Lyra marched forward, slapping Sam hard across the face. “What is wrong with you!”

Sam yelped, taking a cautious step back, a hand on his cheek. “I’m sorry!”

“You better be!”

Dean chuckled, placing a hand on Sam’s back. “You kinda deserve that, Sammy.”

“What about you, huh?” Lyra pointed a finger at Dean. “You’re the one who allowed him to leave in the first place!”

Dean held up his hands in surrender, “I didn’t know he hadn't told you guys until we had left. I am innocent here.”

“Whatever.” Lyra rolled her eyes. “We need to find Skylinn.”

“I’ll go check a couple places I know of from my dad.” Dean said, turning and starting for the door.

Sam started after him, “I’ll go with you.”

“No.” Dean turned to face him, “You’re in no stable position to go. Stay here. Try and help your friends.”

“But-“

“Stay here, Sammy.”

And with that Dean exited the room, Sam glaring behind him. Zach sighed, walking over and placing a hand on Sam’s shoulder. “Ready to explain how you got back here so quick?"

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Her father released the chain, sending them into darkness again. Skylinn's breath was labored as she tried to keep herself from crying again. Her father leaned against the wall, his head in his hands. "I want you to know, when I had heard about you, I sat down and cried."

It was silent for a long while, before Skylinn finally spoke, her voice a broken whisper, "Daddy, I'm okay. I've learned to adapt." She turned to face him, her eyes filling with tears. "I don't need to be fixed... I can't be fixed..."

He stared at her, running a hand down his face. "I've always taught you to try your best." He knelt down beside her, "I need you to try your best now." Slowly, he held the bag in front of her face. Skylinn took in a deep breath, keeping her gaze fixed straight ahead, though she could already smell the blood and it had her entire body aching for it.

"See? You're doing it."

Skylinn shook her head, "I can't."

"Yes you can fight the urge."

"Daddy, I'm starving."

"You know you can, Sky, fight it."

"Why, you know this isn't going to work."

"It has to work it's the only option."

"Why are you trying to fix me..."

"So I don't have to kill you."

Skylinn turned her head sharply to face him, her eyes wide. She felt her eyes go red and her dad stood up quickly and she turned away from him, her voice low, "Daddy I'm sorry."

He stared at her, his eyes filled with tears. He glanced up at the window, then back down at her. "The sun's gone down." He placed a hand on her head, running it down her hair. "We'll try again tomorrow."

Skylinn stared at the ground, her head drooping forward, not having the energy to hold it up anymore. Her father turned and walked towards the door, taking one last look at her before he closed it. He sighed, tossing the blood bag in his hands to the floor. He heard someone clear their throat from behind him and he turned, only to have a fist collide with his face. He slumped to the floor, unconscious.

Skylinn could feel herself breaking, her entire body giving way as she heard the door click and swing open. She didn't even glance up as she heard someone enter the room, walking over towards her and ripping off the shackles that had her bound to the chair. That's when she moved, her head rolling to the side as she slowly glanced up, her gaze meeting light green eyes that were filled with worry.

“Dean...?"

Dean knelt in front of her, ripping off the shackle holding her arm in place. "Hey, blondie, It's okay. I'm gonna get you out of here."

He pulled on the shackles on her ankles, breaking them easily. Skylinn stared down at him, her vision blurring slightly. "This...this is some kinda dream isn't it..." Her voice was breathy and barely audible, her eyes fluttering closed. "...brought on by the vervain."

Dean glanced up at her, "No. No it's not, Sky, I'm here." He tucked a piece of her blonde hair behind her ear, holding her face in his hand gently. “Don’t worry, I won’t leave you. I’m taking you away from here."

Skylinn blinked her eyes slowly, hardly able to keep them open. "My...my ring...my ring..."

Dean glanced around quickly, spotting the ring lying on the dirt floor a few feet away. He grabbed it quickly, placing it back on her finger. He lifted her arm around his shoulders, lifting her easily into his arms, bridal style. The last thing Skylinn saw was the starry sky above her, then everything went black.