Eternal Thirst

Chapter Five;

"I can feel it, the darkness, it's all around me."

Skylinn stared into the darkness, she could hear nothing but the sound of her labored breathing echoing in the darkness. She felt heavy, weighted. Almost as if something was pushing her down, suffocating her. She grabbed at her throat and tried to scream out but nothing came. A harsh, sickening laughed broke through the darkness and Skylinn shot up, her chest rising and falling hard as she fought to catch her breath. She glanced around the room, her vision clearing slowly. Her memory was fuzzy and she pressed the palms of her hands to her temples, the inside of her head was thundering so loud she almost swore it was real.

Groaning, Skylinn pushed the cheap hospital blankets off of her, cringing when her bare feet pressed against the cool tiled floor. She walked over and grabbed what looked to be Michael’s jacket off of a near by chair, wrapping it around herself tightly as she pushed open the door to her room. She stepped out into the hallway, glancing around until she spotted a young women behind the counter of the nurses station.

Skylinn shivered, tugging the jacket tighter around her as she walked up to the young nurse. "Excuse me, but where is everyone?"

The nurse looked up, pressing a pair of cheap reading glasses back onto her nose. "It's the middle of the night, hun."

Skylinn's eyebrows knitted together in confusion, "it is?" The nurse nodded and Skylinn sighed, "okay, well have you seen my friends? Lyra and Michael Gold? Or my dad? Craig Walker?"

The nurse stacked a bunch of papers together neatly, "your father left a message for you. He said he'd be here as soon as he could. And your friends left a few hours ago, but then your friend Levi stopped by a little bit ago to check in."

Skylinn rubbed her eyes, "he did? Yeah..he did..but he said his name was Clarence." She shook her head quickly, "well can I just get something to drink?"

The nurse shook her head, "no food or water for twelve hours after the surgery."

"But i'm thirsty...?"

The nurse stood, turning and walking till she was around the nurses station. "Back to bed."

Skylinn huffed as she watched the nurse start off down the opposite hallway. She turned to go back into her room when her nose filled with a strange, luring smell. Skylinn sniffed the air, turning and walking down the hallway. "What is that smell?"

She continued down the hallway until she rammed into a door. She rubbed her forehead, glancing up and reading the sign above the door: "Drug Locker room. Authorized personnel only."

Skylinn glanced over her shoulder before trying the handle, it turned slowly to her right then clicked.

Unlocked.

Skylinn shoved the door lightly and it swung open, revealing shelves of medicine and IV bags. The smell grew much stronger once she had opened the door so Skylinn stepped into the room, following her nose until she came to a tall locker. Skylinn didn't even glance behind her as she pulled the locker's doors open, stopping cold at it's contents.

Rows and rows of blood bags stood before her, shelved up high above her head. Skylinn reached out and gingerly touched one of the bags, her mouth parting slowly.

"What are you doing in here?"

Skylinn spun around to see the nurse from earlier, her arms crossed over her chest and her face stern. Skylinn stuttered, "I-I-I don't know."

The nurse glared at her, "you need to go back to bed." The nurse walked forward and gingerly took Skylinn by the arm, leading her out of the room and down the hall. The nurse opened the door to Skylinn's room, watching as she walked in and sat criss-cross on the bed, her head down. Skylinn waited until the nurse was gone, glancing around her room before she pulled out a single blood bag hidden beneath Michael’s jacket.

Skylinn studied the bag, turning it thrice in hand. The smell burned at her nose and Skylinn found her mouth watering. Slowly, she tore open a corner, careful not to spill it's contents over the bed. She glanced around the room one more time before she took in a deep breath, bringing the corner of the bag up to her lips and squeezing gently.

Bitterness filled Skylinn's mouth and she wrenched, tossing the bag to the ground and gagging. She coughed and sputtered, wiping the blood from her mouth on her hands, trying to get the horrid taste out of her mouth. Skylinn felt her eyes suddenly widen and she glanced down at the smeared blood on her palm. She brought her hand to her lips and she licked her hand, her breath coming in short, ragged gasps. Skylinn licked her fingers clean, glancing around for more. Her eyes landed on the discarded blood bag on the floor, a small pool of blood having formed on the white tile. Skylinn felt her heartbeat pounding in her ears as she scrambled towards the bag, falling off of her bed and crawling until she had the bag in her hands. She wasted no time in bringing the bag back up to her lips, her mouth aching for it's contents.

The blood rolled around her tongue like liquid fire, caressing her tastes buds while it's sweet flavor seemed to push every other sense to the back of her mind. She found herself moaning with delight, squeezing the bag until she had devoured every last drop. She tossed the bag aside, pushing herself to her feet.
Skylinn doubled over as an excruciating ordeal of pain fill her body. She stumbled over towards her bathroom, swinging open the door, not caring as it banged loudly against the wall. She stumbled over towards the sink, looking up into the mirror as she felt a sharp pain in her mouth. Her mouth felt as if it was on fire as she cried out again, opening her mouth wider to see in the mirror.

Sharp tips of what looked like bone where protruding out of the tips of her upper gums, cutting through her pink fleshy gums like knives. Blue and purple veins started to move beneath her eyes like tiny snakes be neath her skin. Skylinn let out a cry again as a final sharp pain shot through her body and she doubled over. She froze for a moment, catching her breath before she glanced up into the mirror again, opening her mouth and crying out at what she saw.

Fangs.

"What's wrong?!"

Skylinn spun around to see the nurse from before standing in her bathroom doorway. The nurses eyes went wide at Skylinn's appearance and she started to back away. Skylinn ran forward with unnatural speed, grabbing the nurse by the throat and slamming her into the opposite wall. "I won't hurt you! You can't tell anyone, please!"

The nurse grabbed at Skylinn's arm frantically, trying to free herself. Skylinn locked gazes with her and she felt her pupils dilate and un-dilate. "Don't tell anyone!"

The nurse froze, her eyes locked on Skylinn's. "I won't tell anyone."

Skylinn' eyes darted around the room quickly, landing back on the nurse in confusion. "You'll do what I say?"

The nurse let her arms fall to her sides, as if in a trance. "I'll do what you say."

Skylinn relaxed her arm, nodding to herself slowly. "Good..."

Skylinn felt her fangs extend at will, and her eyes fill with blood around her pupils. "Because i'm starving."

Skylinn leaned her head back and plunged her teeth into the nurses neck, moaning slightly as her mouth filled with the sweet, bitter taste of her blood.