Not My Type

Luciee Moor

"I just want you all to know that I love you," Susie slurred, slinging her arms around Luciee and Toni's necks. They stumbled out of the student union and off down the road. "I mean it, you guys. I love you all so much."

"We love you too," Luciee laughed, staggering under the girl's weight. "Just maybe don't drink as much next time?"

"I promise. No more drinking!"

Toni let out a snort. "Okay girl."

It took them over ten minutes to reach their house and a few more moments to transfer all of Susie's weight onto Toni while Luciee dug around for the keys and opened the front door. They dragged the drunken girl in and all the way to her bedroom, letting her flop on top of the covers with a giggle. "I'm so glad we're housemates for final year," she said.

"I know," Luciee muttered, patting Susie's hair down. "You just go to sleep."

After saying goodnight, both Luciee and Toni left the room and headed into the sitting room. "I could kill Nathan," Toni said, throwing herself onto the sofa. "Combine that with it being the end of second year, and there was no way Susie was surviving tonight."

"I can't believe she actually passed."

"I know! But at least we get her for last year instead of having to find someone new. I like living here."

Luciee snorted. "It's nice for student housing."

They both got into their pyjamas and while Toni made a brew, Luciee dragged both their quilts down the stairs and onto the sofa. She bundled them together before grabbing the crisps from the cupboard and snuggling at one end of the sofa. Toni joined her a few moments later, placing the two steaming cups on the small coffee table a few feet away from the sofa.

"I need a shag," Toni whined. "I haven't had one since first year."

She gave a laugh. "You're not going to suddenly become a virgin again," she teased. "Besides, I haven't had one since the start of second year either." She grabbed her phone from where it had dropped onto the floor and unlocked the screen, noticing the notification she had for a new email.

"Are you staying for the whole summer?"

Luciee shrugged. "I dunno yet. Mum wanted me back for a little while but I haven't made up my mind."

"I think Susie's going until mid-July and then she's coming back because her parents are off on holiday then."

"Lucky," she muttered, reading the new email she had received. "Don't you just hate when spam gets into your inbox?"

"What's it say?"

"'Complete this survey and be in a chance of winning an all-expenses paid holiday,'" she read out.

Toni wedged herself next to her so that she could see her phone. "That's not all spam. I know a girl who entered one and actually won the prize."

Luciee was sceptical. "Really?"

"Yeah. It was a microwave but it's pretty much the same thing. Go on, do it!"

With a sigh, she clicked on the link and the survey opened up. She frowned as she took a peak at the different questions. "I shouldn't put my actual details in," she commented.

"Why not? You're not going to win and they're probably not even going to read your results. It's like a number generated thing, you know?"

Luciee glared at her friend suspiciously. "You do these all the time, don't you?"

Toni grinned sheepishly. "Maybe, "she admitted.

Deciding that she didn't have anything to lose, Luciee went through the survey, putting in her height and estimated weight, her eye colour, her personality traits (though Toni was adamant she should have put permanent alcoholic in that answer, she decided that level-headed made her sound better), and her one future desire. The final section of the survey made her frown and Toni let out a laugh.

"Go on, Luc, what kind of guy do you prefer!" she exclaimed, nudging her.

Luciee pushed her off the sofa in retaliation. "Look at these choices, though. 'Reluctant romantic', 'overzealous lover' and 'more than just a friend'. Who on earth wants any of them?" she said.

"I'd go for reluctant romantic."

She chose that option then scrolled to the bottom, ticking the 'I have read the T and Cs' checkbox before pressing submit, a box thanking her for her participation popping up onto the screen. "And that's done. What a waste of five minutes. Wanna order a kebab?"

Image


Her mobile vibrating on her bedside drawers woke Luciee from her sleep. With a quick glance at the clock she realised it was almost midday and it wasn't a necessarily unreasonable time to receive a phonecall. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes as she grabbed her phone and answered the call, bringing it to her ear. "Hello?"

"Am I speaking to a Miss Luciee Moor?" a male voice asked, making her frown.

"This is she. May I ask who is calling?"

"My name is Robert. I'm calling in regards to a competition you entered on the first of June."

Luciee frowned and rubbed her forehead with her free hand. A competition? Since when she did enter one of those? "Okay," she said.

"Well congratulations, you were one of our three lucky winners!"

"What?!" she exclaimed.

"You have won an all-expenses paid trip to an island resort, to leave on the twenty first of this month."

She sat up in bed and ran a hand through her hair. "Hold on a minute. I won? How do I know this isn't some sort of scam? Are you going to be asking for my card details next?"

"Nope. This is not a scam, Luciee," the man said, amusement clouding his voice. "We'll be asking for no bank details or fees - this is entirely all-expenses paid. You even get some spending money, too. We can send you all the confirmation details in an email if you'd like, and then you phone us back to give us your home address so that we can send the car to pick you up on the day."

"This is crazy," she muttered. Had she actually won a holiday?

"I know," he said. "If you would like, I can also send you through an information pack about the resort itself. And when it's closer to the time, you will receive the details of the two other lucky winners as you will be meeting at the resort and participating in the activities together."

She couldn't believe it. That email that she thought was spam had turned out to be true and she had actually won a holiday. This was just beyond crazy. "I'd really appreciate that," she told him. They spoke a little while longer, and she asked him three more times when this was actually real, before they hung up and she was left just staring at her phone.

The laugh she had been keeping in escape at that moment before she flung back her covers and rushed into Toni's room, eager to tell her friend about the holiday she had just won.

Now she had a plan for summer.