Said the Woodpecker to the Wolf

Chapter One

Ayle had only been working at Camp Green Lake a week. And her dreams of working at a beautiful green lush lake based summer camp had been dashed the moment she set foot there.

There wasn't any greenery, unless you counter the mystery veggies at dinner, there wasn't a lake or rather an water filled one. Rather the camp was in the lake. A dry desert lake bed with no water for miles.

And what's worse, it wasn't a summer camp. But a juvenile detention center for wayward boys.

Ayle thought this had to be a mistake. But day after day of running errands for the warden around camp, assisting counselor Pendanski with group sessions, helping Mister Sit hand out lunch and water during the day and doing lights out/wake up Ayle was finding out. This was really happening.

Not that she was to shocked, he luck had been on the unfortunate side nearly all her life.

Well it was only for the summer and Ayle was going to make the best of things being the optimist she was.

It was day 5 she had almost been there a week. And was still struggling to remember the boys names let alone get their respect.

Heading down the rows of "tents" small wooden lodgings for the boys antenna in hand Ayle made her way to the wreck room. Down the dry dusty road she was thankful she took that extra pill of allergy medicine.

In the wreck room upon entering in everyone seem to stop what they were doing. Watching Ayle as if she was an alien of some sort. Ayle looked over everyone briefly before walking Calmly over to the old Tv set.

She set the antenna on top of it and couldn't help but notice the new boy gazing intently at the Tv snow.

Ayle looked from the Tv to the boy and back several times. "Have you seen this show?" He asked suddenly. Ayle was more surprised of the fact one of them actually talked to her than by the actual question.

Mister Sir had warned to be careful when talking to the boys. Being the only girl in the camp. So Ayle opted not to say anything back. Instead she went to hook up the antenna.

"Watcha doing?" The boy asked. Ayle nearly jumped out of her skin and stood up to find him standing beside her. His wild unkempt blonde hair didn't help him look any friendlier.

"Ah I....Well, I'm" Ayle struggled to speak, having a mild form of social anxiety and being caught off guard.

The boy tilted his head. And his intense void gaze turned into a clumsy smile.

"Heh heh can't talk huh? That's cute" he said his face quickly returned to the void gaze. "I didn't mean to scare you" he said quietly before turning and walking away.

Ayle watched him go. She was very sure that she had never met someone so odd before.

"Yeah that guys weird" a calm voice chimed. Ayle jumped again. Resting a hand on her heart she sighed. "You guys are gonna give me cardiac arrest" she breathed looking over to the new presence timidly.

He laughed "sorry" he said. "Names Barf Bag" he said. Ayle scrunched up her nose and took a precautionary step away. "No, no" he laughed "it's just because my first day here I caught food poisoning and well the name stuck" he explained.

Ayle nodded and turned back to the Tv antenna. "My real name is Lewis" the boy kept talking. "Your the new help around here right? The wardens pet?" He asked. Ayle tinkered with the antenna trying to get a better picture on the Tv.

She glanced at Lewis "is that what they call me around here?" She asked. Lewis rubbed the back of his neck "Heh yeah" he said. "But you don't say much so..." Ayle looked over at him as she struggled with the antenna.

"Hey, can you tell me if a picture comes in?" She asked. Lewis smiled and nodded walking around the front of the Tv.

"This thing hasn't worked since I have been here" he mused. Ayle fiddling with the antenna shook her head. "I found this antenna in a box at the bottom of the supply cabinet while organizing and I've heard a few complaints about this old thing" Ayle said.

"So someone listens around here finally huh? Don't tell anybody...you'll have a list of complaints soon" Lewis said. "I'm Ayle" she said.

Ayle smiled a bit but it went away as the odd boy returned. "Need help?" He asked. "Ah...I.. we've got-" but while Ayle stammered under the boys awkward gaze he had already grabbed the antenna and not long after had broken it.

"Oops" he said with an apologetic glint as he looked at the broken metal stick in his hand. "I didn't mean to" he said. "Honest" Lewis and Ayle glanced at each other.

Lewis sighed "don't worry it happens Zigzag" he said. With that Zigzag nodded took one last glance at Ayle and wandered over to the pool table.

"He likes you" Lewis said snickering a bit. Ayle glanced at him sharply "that's a frightening thought" she said causing Lewis to laugh.

Her eyes fell back on the Tv. Frowning she gave it a hard kick "stupid thing" she muttered. "Hey! We've got a picture!" Lewis called pointing at the screen.

A group of boys came and gathered around. "No way he'll froze over?" Asked an obese boy. "No she just kicked it " Lewis said "nah I been doing that for weeks, nothing ever happened before" said a boy in a head rag. "Guess Ayle's got a magic touch" Lewis said.

"Who's Ayle?" A boy in glasses asked. Zigzag pointed at her "she is" he said. "Huh so the wardens pet is useful" the boy in the glasses said. It was obvious he was more of a leader in the group.

Ayle glanced at Lewis and then to the boys. "Well welcome to Camp Green Lake" the boy in glasses said before taking a seat on the small couch and watching the Tv.

Ayle sighed in relief as the boys gathered around the Tv. Maybe this would make things less awkward for her.

Content with herself Ayle went to leave. Stopping at the door she scanned over the room. Almost everyone was around the Tv. Her eyes fell on Lewis whom had been watching her with a small smile. Ayle waved at him shyly with a pinkish tent on her face before scurrying out of the tent.

Sometimes she hated being so shy.