Status: Please let me know if you want me to continue for a bit so I can add more Poe if you like?

Awakening

Chapter 7

There's a knock on the door causing me to realise I had fallen asleep. I lean up off the bed noticing Poe heading for the door, was that a second knock I heard?
"Commander" comes the loud voice of a young man greeting him.
"Shh" Poe says quickly and moves outside the room and mostly closing the door. I get up and tidy my hair giving it a quick brush through as I look in the wall mounted mirror.
"The reconnaissance data has come through, you're needed in the command centre" I hear, quietly from outside the door.
"Thank you, I'll be right there" Poe replies before coming back in, surprised to see I'm awake.
"Duty calls, let's go" I say walking towards the door

"You should be resting" Poe says softly stopping me from leaving by standing in front of me and holding my arms gently.
"I've rested, I feel much better" I say, but honestly feeling like a ten tone weight.
"Amara-"
"Would you sit in bed if I was called to the general about the plan of attack on the enemy base that has just destroyed your homeworld and killed your family and has kidnapped your friend?" I ask knowing what he would say. He doesn't say anything, but we turn and leave my room heading towards the command centre

Huddled around the holographic map table, with all officers and important personnel gathered around in the room, I stand next to Leia as Poe is looking over Snap's data while everyone is gathering, it doesn't look good from what I've seen and heard them talk about. Now that everyone is here Leia looks at Poe for him to start explaining.

"The scan data from Snap's reconnaissance flight confirms Finn's report." Poe says simply.

"They've somehow created a hyper lightspeed weapon built within the planet itself." Snap explains briefly

"A laser cannon?" Brance asks

"We're not sure how to describe a weapon of this scale." Snap says

"It's another Death Star. " Major Ematt states

"I wish that were the case, Major." Poe says before hitting several buttons on a control panel. A hologram of the Death Star appears "This was the Death Star." Poe hits another button and the Death Star shrinks. "And this is Starkiller Base." He says as a large planet size Death Star, modified and much more advanced appears, making the Death Star look like a small moon in comparison.

"So it's big." Han points out

"How is it possible to power a weapon of this size?" Admiral Ackbar asks

"It uses the power of the sun. As the weapon is charged, the sun is drained until it disappears." Finn explains

That's the only logical way it would work. I think to myself sighing

"Ma'am" An office says as she approaches Leia handing the general a datacard. She looks worried.

"The First Order, they're charging the weapon again now" Leia says also looking worried, everyone looks at her as she speaks sharing her concern but not understanding why, until Leia explains "Our system is the next target."
People gasp surprised and worried,
"What are we going to do?" I ask her quietly

"Oh my. Without the Republic fleet, we're doomed."

"Very reassuring" I say giving the droid a look, he always was an easily worried protocol droid.

"Okay, how do we blow it up?" Han asks causing everyone to look at him "There's always a way to do that."
I nod agreeing, they blew up the last two

"Han's right." Leia says
Han is surprised that Leia agreed with him
"It's got to have a weakness, like the a thermal exhaust port or something similar at least" I point out looking at Finn, he looks at though he is about to speak until someone else does.

"In order for that amount of power to be contained, that base would need some kind of thermal oscillator..." Admiral Statura explains thoughtfully. Finn Nods.
"There is one." he says as he moves around the hologram of Starkiller Base.

"Precinct 47. Here." he says moving past Admiral Ackbar and standing next to Poe who highlights what Finn points to. A hexagonal shape is highlighted and the pipes leading down into the centre of the planet are shown.

"If we can destroy that oscillator, it might de-stabilize the core and cripple the weapon." Admiral Statura hypothesizes

"... Maybe the planet." Major Ematt adds

"We'll go in there and we'll hit that oscillator with everything we got." Poe says looking at Leia.

"They have defensive shields that our ships cannot penetrate." Admiral Ackbar points out.

"We disable the shields." Han states as if it's that easy "Kid, you worked there, what do you got?" he asks Finn.

"I can do it." Finn says confidently

"I like this guy." Han says smiling at Finns confidence

"I can disable the shields. But I have to be there, on the planet" Finn

"We'll get you there." Han says

"Han, how?" Leia asks

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han replies

"So we disable the shields, take out the oscillator and we blow up their big gun."
Chewie roars. I look at Poe a little worried, this is likely a one way trip for most of us, Poe looks like he shares my thoughts.
"All right. Let's go!" Poe says causing everyone to start to move
I turn around and head to get ready to fly.

"Amara!" Leia calls before I can get too far away "Not you" she says shaking her head
"What?" I ask in disbelief.

"You're injured and you're grounded" She says simply.
"General, with all do respect they killed my family, they've got one of my friends, and the rest of my friends are about to take the fight to them, you can not expect me to sit back and not help"

"You said you surrendered yourself for judgement, this is it" She says finally. I knew it was going to come back to bite me in the backside somehow.
"General. You need every pilot you've got on this" I state "You can't keep me grounded"
"Amara. That's an order" she says seriously
I'm furious but I say no more on the matter and I go to find Poe.

Outside the fleet prepares for the mission. Pilots inspect their ships as crews fuel their fighters. Mechanics make adjustments. Ground controllers move ships into take off formation. I look around outside until I see the black and orange x wing with BB8 being pulled up into it.

I run over to him having to doge a few people who are also running around.
"Poe!" I call causing him to turn around. He doesn't look surprised that I'm not suiting up and I realise he must have asked Leia to ground me.
"I should be going with you" I say looking at the floor worried about him
"No, you need to rest" he says making me look up to him
"When this entire system could be blown apart and you killed trying to stop it?" I say shaking my head feeling my concern getting the better of me.
"Hey, it's okay" He says hugging me
"No it's not"
"I'm coming back this time" He says softly
"You said that last time" I point out
"And I came back" he states smiling
I step back and look up at him and he smiles at me reassuringly.
I stand on my toes and kiss him. I've waited for too long to do that and now may be my last chance.
I stop and look at him seriously "You had better come back" I say before starting to move away.
He doesn't reply, he pulls me closer and kisses me.

BB8 beeps causing him to pull away and look at the droid who has just teased that it's about time.
I chuckle a little and blush looking at the floor.
"You had better be here when I get back" he says smiling
"Go get em'" I smile. He kisses me once more before moving to his ladders to get into his ship. I move away and go back inside to find Leia.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please leave a comment and let me know what you think. I'd love some creative criticism, or just comments letting me know if you like it or not.