In Your Eyes

Chapter Twelve

Christmas was arriving fast. The kingdom was buzzing with excitement, setting up decorations and preparing gifts. Up at the palace, the royal family along with Dorothy and Mathias were getting ready for an annual tradition that Paul had started five years ago. Every year, they found the largest tree and set it up in the marketplace square. Afterwards, the royal family itself would decorate it while the villagers played music and a small feast was provided.

Before they left, Dorothy presented a gift to Arella.

“I made this for you,” she said and Arella opened the box to reveal a floor length silk green dress with long velvet sleeves. Down the center of the skirt she had woven in golden flowers. “I hope you like it.”

Arella hugged her. “It’s beautiful. I’ll wear it today.”

After donning the dress, she slipped on a pair of dark green high heeled boots and wrapped the scarf her mother had made her around her neck. The ice had given away to snow and a chilly breeze swept the palace grounds as they set off. The king walked in the front with his wife on his right arm and his daughter on his left. Behind them, Mathias escorted his mother. Bringing up the rear was the tree and many servants carrying heavy boxes of decorations.

The family waved to the cheering villagers as they entered the market square. Ever since her vision of her brother, Arella was trying her best to smile but was finding it very difficult. But she had promised to try and she wouldn’t break it.

“We brought some hot apple cider and hot chocolate,” she announced. “And here is your Christmas tree.”

Everyone clapped as the palace guards set it up. It was nearly 12 feet tall and full. While they were setting up the decorations for easy reach, Arella and Mathias passed out the hot drinks. Her job, along with Mathias, was the tinsel and she climbed onto a ladder so she could start at the top of the tree. The village band played lively music and, for the first time in a very long time, Arella was happy. She could feel her brother’s spirit surrounding them.

After the tree was decorated, they stood and mingled until her dad grabbed her hand and spun her in a circle. Everyone laughed and clapped along as Arella and her father danced a little jig.

Suddenly, everything went silent and all eyes were on Arella. At first, she couldn’t think of why until it hit her.

She was smiling.

After a few brief moments of silence, the music struck up again and her father, laughing loudly, continued to dance with her. She didn’t stop smiling.

--

Mathias watched Arella dance with her father, a grin plastered on her face. It had started to snow but no one cared. Food was passed around and early gifts were exchanged. Mathias took his mother’s hand and joined the king and princess in dancing. Soon, the square was full of people dancing merrily around the tree. The party continued until it started getting dark.

The royal family lined up to shake hands with each villager and Mathias led his mother back to the palace. His joints were starting to ache and he needed to rest.

“Did you see that?” his mother asked breathlessly. “She smiled!”

Mathias grinned. “I did see it. It was a nice sight.”

While they had been in the village, the remaining servants had decorated the entire palace until it glittered and trees were in every room. Mathias sat in the second library in front of the fire, grimacing in pain. He had enjoyed himself immensely but everything was swollen from dancing and clapping with everyone else. A servant brought in two large bowls filled with the salt water his mother had created and he took his boots off, sliding his feet gently into the water. The other bowl went in his lap for his hands and he leaned back, closing his eyes.

“Are you all right?”

Arella had come in, looking concerned.

“Yes,” he said with a smile. “It’s just part of everything.” When she continued to look doubtful he gestured with his head for her to sit across from him. “Did you enjoy yourself?”

She nodded, looking into the fire. She wasn’t smiling anymore but her face was pink from cold and all the dancing she had done.

“I felt my brother there,” she said. “He was the one who came up with the idea first.”

“And you smiled.”

She didn’t respond for a while. “He wants me to,” she said softly.

Mathias smiled kindly at her and she cleared her throat. Then, just like every other time, he felt the jerking sensation in his stomach.

“I need some help,” he said, his words slurring.

His vision was going blurry but he saw her get to her feet at once and rush over.

-

Mathias woke up in his bed. He had been changed into his nightclothes and a servant had put a pan with hot coals at the foot of his bed so that he was warm. Beside him, his mother was taking his pulse like normal.

“They always happen at the worse moments,” he muttered after being sick in a bowl.

She smiled sadly and brushed his hair from his face. “You had a big day,” she said. “Frankly, I’m not too surprised.”

“I should have left sooner,” he sighed. “I was having too much fun.”

“We all were. Are you hungry?” He shook his head and she kissed his forehead. “Get some sleep.”

She left, shutting the door behind her and he closed his eyes, sighing in disappointment. He drifted into an uneasy sleep and was jolted awake by the sound of screaming. It was coming from Arella’s room.

Her parents and his mother had gotten there first. The king was yelling for the servants and guards to shut down the castle and the queen was holding a sobbing Arella to her chest.

“What happened?” he panted, running into the room.

“An assassination attempt,” the queen said, her face pale.

There were two hand prints on Arella’s neck and he knew they would turn into bruises.

--

Arella had been sleeping peacefully when the room got cold. She had figured the wind had blown open her window and snuggled in deeper into her blankets. Then she felt two icy cold hands press down on her throat. She couldn’t see her attacker; the wind had blown the fire out. She was able to hit his nose, though, and screamed to alert someone.

“He jumped out the window,” she whispered.

Mathias was sitting next to her bed as she lay down. Her parents had to observe the search party of the grounds and the village had been alerted to not let any strangers stay in their homes. She had tried going to sleep but couldn’t and asked him to stay with her. It was hard to believe that just six hours ago she had been smiling and dancing.

“I should have known better,” she said, closing her eyes as tears leaked from the corners.

“What are you talking about?”

“I got my hopes up. I thought everything was getting better.”

“Hey. Look at me.” She opened her eyes to see him kneeling on the floor beside her. He wiped some of her tears away. “Don’t regret the joy you felt today. Joy will always win out, no matter what.” She sniffed. “Hey, how about tomorrow we go to the lake and skate?”

She nodded, her eyes slowly closing. “That would be really nice.”

He kissed her forehead as she finally drifted off to sleep.