In Your Eyes

Chapter Fifteen

“Real smooth, Mathias,” he grumbled to himself after Arella had left. He changed into his night clothes and glared at his bed. “I hate this disease.”

He got into bed and stared up at the ceiling, remembering the feel of her hands on his neck; how their tongues moved together in harmony. He wanted nothing more than to spend the night with her but his body ached so badly. He shut his eyes tightly, resolving to find out what was wrong with him and how he could stop it.

-

It was cold the following morning and servants were going to each room, lighting fires. A guard stood outside his bedroom door and followed him to the library where his notes were still on the desk surrounded by the five books. He had read all but one and settled in.

He was getting impatient as he flipped through pages, looking for anything that might look familiar. He was about to give up when a sentence caught his eye.

It is a terrible affliction, attacking the joints and internal health.

He pulled the book closer and sat up. He started reading, his eyes widening with each word.

“Please send for my mother,” he breathed and the guard gave a curt nod.

He paced the room, waiting anxiously. Finally, his mother rushed in.

“What is it? Did you have a seizure?”

He pulled her to the desk and pointed to the paragraph in the book. She frowned as she read it.

“Swollen joints… common in hands and feet… pain more frequent in the morning and at night….” She looked up at him. “You found it,” she said. “Oh, Mathias! You found it!”

“It’s something called arthritis,” he told her. “It’s old medicine which is confusing to me. Why wasn’t it in any of your books?”

She shook her head. “I don’t know. Is there anything in here that talks about curing it?”

He sighed and sat down heavily. “There is no cure, Mother. They’ve done multiple studies. Some people, it disappeared but the majority died still afflicted by it. There are different strands but the book doesn’t go into detail. If only there was someone who specialized in this.”

“Maybe there is,” she said and flipped to the title page. “Gregory Pole,” she read. “He’s the author of the book. Perhaps we can write to him.”

Mathias pulled a piece of paper and started writing.

“How can we find him?”

“Leave that to me,” a voice said in the door and they looked up. The king was standing with his hand on the doorknob. “Forgive me for listening in. I heard Dorothy shout and was worried. You really think you found the answer?”

Dorothy nodded vigorously. “But how are you going to find this doctor?”

“I’ll send word to each of the kingdoms nearby,” he explained. “We’re allies and good friends. They can help us.”

Dorothy hugged Mathias tightly.

“I have to go tell Arella,” he said. “Do you know where she is?”

“Yes. She’s in the music room.”

The guard followed him to the room where Arella was reading a music book. When she looked up, she grinned.

“Can you wait outside, please?” he said to the two guards. They narrowed their eyes. “Come on. I’m not going to kill her.”

“It’s okay,” she said and they left, shutting the door behind them. “What’s wrong?”

“We found out what’s wrong with me,” he said.

“Really?” she asked, looking excited.

He nodded. “It’s something called arthritis. There are different kinds but the book I was reading didn’t go into detail. We wrote a letter to the author and your father is going to reach out and try to find him.”

“That’s good, right?” He nodded, flipping through a piano book. “You don’t seem very excited, Mathias.”

He sighed and she held his hands. “I’ll probably have it forever. There’s no cure.”

Her face fell. “There isn’t?” He shook his head no. “Maybe this doctor will know of one, though. He may have found one since the book was published.” When he remained silent, she hugged him, pulling him so that he rested his head on her chest. “You never gave up hope on me,” she said and he closed his eyes. “I’m not giving up hope on you.”

--

Nothing Arella said about it could lift his spirits so she changed the subject. “I have a Christmas present for you,” she said. “I’m sorry it’s a few days late.”

She pulled out the box, tugging slightly at the scarf she kept around her neck. He opened it to reveal a golden pocket watch.

“It was my grandfather’s,” she explained.

“Thank you,” he said and kissed her. “I got so wrapped up in everything, though, that I don’t have a gift for you. I’m sorry.”

She smiled and caressed his cheek. “You are my gift,” she whispered.

He smiled back and kissed her fingers.

-

Arella helped take down the decorations over the next few days. Mathias had fallen ill and spent the time in his bedroom. Arella was worried; Dorothy said his fever was high and she wanted to take care of him.

“Don’t worry,” Dorothy assured her. “He’s been this sick before. It will just take a while.”

There wasn’t any news on the doctor yet but it didn’t surprise anybody too much. Arella started missing Mathias and decided to make him a broth her mother would make her when she was a child.

“Is he awake?” she asked the guard outside his door who nodded.

She knocked gently and the guard opened the door. She came in with her tray of broth and water. Mathias was sitting up with a book in his hands. He was incredibly pale but smiled all the same.

“I made this for you,” she said, putting the tray across his knees and sitting down. “My mother would make it for me when I was sick.”

He lifted the spoon and tasted it. “It’s very nice. I’m sorry I’ve been out of contact,” he said when he had finished. He put the tray on the bedside table and took a sip of water. “Mother doesn’t want me leaving my bed.”

She held his hand. It was very warm. “Are you going to be okay?”

He smiled. “Of course I will be. It’s what my mother calls the flu. I get it a lot more often because of the kind of arthritis I have.”

“I’m glad we finally have a name for it,” she said.

“Oh, believe me, so am I. Any news on the doctor?” he asked.

She shook her head. “I’ve missed you,” she admitted, blushing.

“I’ve missed you, too.”

The door opened and Dorothy walked in. She smiled at Arella and took her son’s temperature and pulse.

“Well, your temperature is going down,” Dorothy observed. “And your pulse continues to be fine. I think you’ll be better in a couple days.” She took a small bottle out of her bag and Mathias groaned. “I know but it’ll help.”

“What is it?” Arella asked as Mathias drank it.

“It’s a tonic,” Dorothy answered. “It will help continue dropping his temperature.” She glanced at the clock. It was almost ten in the evening. “I’ll be back in the morning.”

She left, closing the door quietly.

“I guess I should go, too,” Arella said, “so you can get some rest.”

“Arella?” he whispered and she looked at him. “Will you stay?”

She blushed but he moved over so she could get in with him. His body was warm from the fever and she let him rest his head on her chest. It didn’t take him long to fall asleep and she closed her eyes, running her fingers through his hair.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to those who continue reading. :)