In Your Eyes

Chapter Twenty

Life in the palace was confusing for Arella. Mathias would walk her to her bedroom every evening, kiss her lightly on the lips, but then leave. She felt a little hurt, feeling like she had done something wrong, but reminded herself that he was probably still dealing with the diagnoses Dr. Pole had given her.

Mathias was spending a lot of time in the library again. She didn’t know why and he wouldn’t tell her. She really didn’t like the sudden silence.

“The only way to get a clear answer is to ask,” her mother said when she confided her feelings.

Arella sighed and nodded. That evening, before dinner, she found Mathias in the library.

“I need to talk to you,” she said and he set his quill down, looking at her expectantly. “What’s going on?”

“What do you mean?”

“Two weeks ago,” she began, her face going red, “we finally made love and now you’ve become so distant. Did I do something?”

He sighed and walked over to her. “No. I’m just… confused.”

“About what?” she asked.

He took her hands in his. “About where we are in our relationship,” he said.

“And avoiding me is helping you clear that up?” she asked sarcastically and he chuckled lightly.

“I don’t even know if you love me,” he admitted, blushing.

She took a step back. “Is that what’s been bothering you?” He nodded, avoiding her eyes. “Mathias, I-”

Suddenly, the door burst open. She turned and Mathias pulled her behind him. There in the doorway stood none other than Dr. Pole. But he wasn’t hunched over and shaky anymore. He stood straight and had a cold smile on his face. He locked the door but not before Arella saw the bodies on the ground.

“I must say, I’m surprised,” Dr. Pole said, walking forward slowly.

“Dr. Pole?” she asked. “But I thought you left.”

He examined the sword he was holding. It was red with blood. “All this time, I was waiting for you to recognize me,” he said as if he hadn’t heard her. “After all, your idiot brother had been courting my daughter.”

Arella froze. “James?” she breathed, stepping out from behind Mathias. “I don’t understand….”

“Gregory Pole is a pseudonym,” he said as if it were obvious. “When I received the letter from Mr. Juniper, at first I thought you had found me. It was a bit foolish of me to try and kill you in your sleep, I’ll admit.”

“My brother never touched your daughter!” Arella snapped and he grinned.

“Of course he didn’t, silly girl. I knew Gazelle was lying.” Arella frowned. “You see, Gazelle had another lover; a lover that got her pregnant. She made a decision and we acted on it.”

“Gazelle wanted my brother dead?” Arella whispered.

“For such a smart woman, you’re rather slow,” he taunted and she curled her fists in rage. “I’m shocked an alarm hasn’t been raised.” He chuckled darkly. “Then again, I’ve just killed your two guards.”

“What do you want?” Mathias demanded.

James smirked at him. “Like you’re going to help,” he said. “Don’t forget, you have to take it easy.”

“Shut up!” he yelled. “You lied to me, didn’t you!?”

“No,” he said. “This time I told the truth. Besides, you so kindly showed me how to get to Arella.” Mathias pulled her behind him again. “Now I can finish what I started.”

“Why me?” Arella asked, buying for time as she backed toward the desk, pulling Mathias with her.

“Don’t you understand? With you out of the way, we can announce that Gazelle’s son is Paul’s. It will solidify her future. And mine,” he added with a haughty grin.

Arella used Mathias to block her actions. She spoke over the sound of opening a drawer.

“Do you really think that will work?” she challenged, her fingers closing over the blade of the dagger. “My parents won’t believe you.”

“I’m going to have you write a confession. If you don’t, I’ll kill your lovely little boyfriend.”

Mathias made to attack but Arella grabbed his arm. Fury was pumping through her veins and she pushed him out of the way. James saw the dagger and laughed derisively.

“Again, you’re not very bright, my dear. I may look like a feeble old man, but I promise you I’m not. Now, if I were you, I’d start writing.”

“But you’re not me,” she said.

“I’ve heard all about your little problem,” he said, eyes narrowed. “I know you’d just love to see your brother again. I can do that for you.”

--

Mathias stood behind Arella, his teeth clenched. How dare he bring Paul up now like this? To his horror, Arella slowly lowered the dagger.

“That’s right,” James said smoothly. “All you have to do is write that letter and you’ll see your brother.”

“Arella!” he yelled, grabbing her arm. “Don’t listen to him!”

“Do you promise?” she whispered, ignoring Mathias.

“Of course I do.”

Mathias spun her around and shook her. “What are you doing?”

She smiled and gave him the tiniest of winks. He frowned as she turned back around.

“What do you want the letter to say?”

James grinned and shoved Mathias out of the way, guiding Arella to the desk. He snatched the dagger from her hand as she pulled a piece of paper over. He bent over, telling her what to say and making sure she wrote it verbatim. Arella nodded once, a cue he recognized and, taking a deep breath, Mathis punched James in between the shoulder blades.

James yelled in anger as Mathias took both weapons from his hands. He lunged at Arella but she pushed the chair back so he fell to the floor. Mathias pressed the tip of the sword to the back of James’ neck as Arella, shaking, stood beside him.

“Arella!” someone screamed. “Arella! Answer me!”

It was the king. He had seen the bodies. He came crashing into the door and skidded to a halt at the scene.

“Dr. Pole?” he breathed.

“His name is not Dr. Pole,” Arella said, her voice weak. “His name is James. He’s Gazelle’s father.”

Guards rushed in and Mathias dropped the sword as Arella swayed. He caught her before she fell and helped her to the couch by the fireplace. The king, his face red with anger, was shouting orders and Arella put her head on Mathias’ chest.