In Your Eyes

Chapter Five

Arella walked down a hall in the palace in the night. It was storming out and she was looking for her brother. She never liked being alone during large storms such as this one. The rain lashed against the windows and she suddenly felt a sharp pain in her stomach. She gasped and swayed on the spot. Without thinking, she ran down the stairs and skidded to a halt at the foot of the stairs. There, lying in a pool of blood, lay her brother.

Arella sat up with a gasp as thunder rumbled outside. She looked around her room, panting, until she remembered where she was. She groaned and got out of bed. It had been a long time since she had dreamt of that night.

She went to get water only to find that her pitcher was empty. She picked it up and headed out into the hallway. The storm continued and she hesitated when she got to the stairs.

It was just a dream, Arella.

But she couldn’t get up the courage to walk down there on her own.

“Princess?” a voice said and she screamed, whipping around.

“You scared me,” she panted as Mathias stepped out of the shadows.

“I’m sorry,” he said quickly. “I thought I heard something and came out to see what it was.”

“I just need some water,” she muttered, gesturing at the pitcher.

He blinked when she didn’t move. “Are you all right?”

She glanced at the stairs. “Yes. I just…. Well, I’m not thirsty. Never mind.”

She was about to walk away until he said, “Is that where it happened?” She froze with her back to him. “Would you like me to get the water for you? That way you don’t have to go?”

“You’d do that?” she asked, turning in surprise.

He smiled kindly and took the pitcher from her hands. “I’ll be right back.”

He descended the stairs and she stood still surprised. After a few moments passed and he didn’t return, she started to get nervous until he came back up, holding the pitcher carefully.

“There you are,” he said and handed it to her.

“Are you feeling better?” she asked as they walked back down the hallway.

“Yes, I am thank you. Perhaps, if the rain stops, you’d like to join me for a ride tomorrow?” She stopped outside of her bedroom door and stared at him. “You don’t have to,” he said quickly. “I just wanted to see if you’d like to accompany me.”

“I’ll see if it’s okay with your mother,” she said just as he was about to walk away.

He smiled. “Good night, Princess.”

“Good night. And thank you again.”

-

“A ride?” Dr. Juniper said. It was noontime again and they were in the library. “I think that’s a splendid idea. Where did you come up with it?”

Arella tugged at her hair. “Well, actually, Mathias invited me.”

“Did he now?”

“Is it okay?”

The doctor stared at her for a few minutes before nodding. “We can reschedule for tomorrow. Have a pleasant time.”

Arella nodded her thanks and hurried to her bedroom to change into her riding dress. She was nervous. She hadn’t ridden since her brother died. They used to ride every day until the horses were too tired and they’d be out until the sun set. Just taking the dress out of the closet brought tears to her eyes. She changed and washed her face to hide the fact she was crying, and descended the stairs.

“I’m going to go on a ride,” she informed her parents. “Mathias invited me.”

Her mother’s face lit up. “Have a wonderful time!”

Arella curtsied and went out to the stables. Mathias was already there, helping the stable hand saddle up a horse.

“Princess Arella,” the stable hand said with a bow. “Would you like to ride Minnie?”

“Yes, please.” She turned to Mathias who was smiling a little. “I like your gloves.”

He laughed. “Thanks.”

After Minnie was saddled, Mathias helped her mount the horse and they set off down a trail. After the previous day’s rain, it was cool and they entered the forest. Drops occasionally fell from the tree branches and landed on their heads and shoulders.

“Follow me,” Arella said, making a decision and turned Minnie off the path.

Although it had been so long, Minnie seemed to remember where they were going. She started off with a walk then a trot then began running through the trees. Arella closed her eyes, enjoying the feel of the air lifting her hair and twirling it about. Behind her, she could hear Mathias’s horse trotting along as well. Eventually, they reached a small lake that she had found and Minnie slowed to a stop.

Mathias pulled up beside her and slid off. They both were panting slightly and Mathias looked around.

“This is a beautiful spot,” he said, walking down to the lake. He took his gloves off and splashed water in his face. “How did you find it?”

She sat down on the slope, watching the trees sway in the breeze.

“My brother found it first,” she said quietly and he sat beside her. “We were young and playing hide and seek. It became our special spot. If we were angry at each other, we’d jump in the lake and swim, eventually forgiving each other. If things were stressful up at the palace, he’d bring a deck of cards and I’d grab a picnic basket and we’d spend the day here.”

She hid her face. She was crying.

“I’m sorry,” he said in a low voice.

She cleared her throat a couple times but it was no use. She buried her face in her hands and cried. Mathias moved closer and put an arm around her shoulders.

--

They returned just before nightfall and Arella excused herself to change before dinner.

“How did it go?” Mathias’s mother asked when he bumped into her in the hall.

“Come with me,” he said and led him to her room. “She took me to a place she and her brother went to all the time,” he said after she closed the door and Dorothy stopped.

“She did?” Mathias nodded. “Where was it?”

“A lake in-”

“Actually, don’t tell me,” she said suddenly. “This is very good. She may open up more to you than to me.”

“I’m not passing on secrets,” he said quickly and she smiled kindly.

“I wasn’t suggesting you do,” she said. “I’m only concerned about getting her healthy again. And perhaps spending some time with her will do you some good to?”

He turned away. “I’m surprised she agreed to go on the ride to begin with,” he said, rummaging in the chest for some clothes. “I was almost certain I scared her off.”

Dorothy hugged her son. “I’m so, so, sorry. I can’t help but feel responsible.”

He squeezed her tightly. “Do you really think it’s okay if the princess and I became friends?”

Dorothy smiled. “Yes, I really do.”

He smiled back and she left so that he could change.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts?