In Your Eyes

Chapter Nine

When Arella and Mathias returned to the palace, neither mentioned the kiss they shared. Instead, they had everyone gather in her father’s office. Arella stood nervously by the fire, suddenly getting stage fright.

“The night Paul died,” she began, “he had me make him one promise.” The air was thick. “He made me promise never to reveal the man behind his death. But I see now that sometimes promises have to be broken.” She looked to her parents. “Do you remember the young woman he fell in love with?” They both nodded. “She told her father that Paul had raped her and her father broke into the palace.”

Her mother gasped, her hands flying to her mouth, while her father stood abruptly and paced the room. Arella was scared and waited for them to yell at her.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner,” she whispered, staring down at her hands. “I understand if you are angry with me.”

Her mother took her hands. “We aren’t angry with you. You were just keeping your word. But now we must bring him to justice. Did Paul tell you where they went?”

Arella shook her head no and looked at her father. He was looking out the window, not saying a word to anyone.

“You need some rest,” her mother said softly, leading her to the door.

“So does Mathias,” she said. “He had another seizure.”

The two went up the stairs and she wrung her hands.

“I think my father is mad,” she said.

“I don’t. At least, not at you,” he said and they stopped outside her door. “Look, Arella, about what happened back at the lake. I’m sorry.”

She frowned. “For what?”

He stared at the floor. “For kissing you. I shouldn’t have done that. You’re grieving for your brother and I feel like I took advantage of that.”

She put a finger on his lips. “If that were the case, I would have turned away,” she whispered and he gave her a small smile. She wanted to return it but couldn’t bring herself to. “Good night.”

He kissed her cheek. “Good night.”

--

Mathias returned to his room where his mother was waiting with a bowl of hot water. He slid his hands in and sighed in relief.

“I’m glad you were able to get her to talk again,” his mother said.

He shook his head. “The queen wanted me to get her mind off of everything but instead it drew everything out.”

Dorothy got a towel and dried one of his hands off, looking at it. “Our brain decides when it’s time to release what we’re hiding.” She sighed. “Your hands are swollen again.”

He nodded. “And they hurt.”

“I’ll make another salt bath for you,” she said. “Maybe that will help with the swelling everywhere else, too.”

“Thanks.”

She sat by the fire and looked into it. “I had no idea what I was getting us into,” she said and he frowned, drying his other hand.

“What do you mean?”

“I came here expecting to help a young woman get passed her grief,” she answered. “Which I’m doing, but never in my wildest dreams did I think we would get tangled up in murder.”

Mathias took his boots off. “I understand.”

“And what about you?” she asked, looking at him.

“What about me?”

“Have you experienced more than you expected?” Mathias shrugged. He was pretty sure his mother knew about his feelings for Arella. “I see the way you look at her,” she said suddenly, confirming his suspicion.

He looked at his hands. “I don’t think it will go anywhere,” he admitted. “Not right now, at least.”

“You’ve made an impact on her, though,” his mother said, standing back up and collecting her bag. “There’s no denying she feels more comfortable with you than she does me. Get some rest and I’ll see you in the morning. Perhaps our days will be happier now that the air is clear.”

Mathias watched her leave and began to dress for bed. He felt utterly confused. He wanted a relationship with Arella, but she was in so much pain. Was she even ready for something more? Or was he replacing her brother? He didn’t want it to be like that and he decided to go slower. He’d wait before he took her on another ride.

“If I can stay away,” he muttered into his pillows.

--

Arella’s parents visited her that evening. Her father hugged her tightly, apologizing for his behavior earlier.

“I’m overwhelmed,” he said. “I don’t know what to think.”

“I struggled for a long time,” she said. “I wanted to tell you but I had also made that promise to him. It was Mathias who finally showed me it was time.”

“We’re glad you told us and I don’t think you’re dishonoring your brother,” her mother assured her. “But there’s something we’ve come to advise you about.”

“Your relationship with Mathias,” her father said. “Please be careful. He’s a young man and we sometimes get… confused when we’re around women.” Arella blushed. “I’m sure he wouldn’t dare do anything to hurt you but there may come a time where things between the two of you will get stronger.”

“And also be sure you’re with him because you want to be,” her mother added.

Arella frowned in confusion. “I don’t understand.”

“I know how hard your brother’s death has been on you. I don’t want you replacing him with another young man.”

“Oh. No, I don’t imagine he feels that way about me,” Arella admitted.

“Johnathan, can you give us a moment?” Marie asked and he nodded. After he left, her mother took her hand and led her to the fireplace. “What your father said is true. Men and women can get confused when they’re around people they’re attracted to. Are you attracted to him?” Arella nodded, blushing. “I get the feeling he is with you, too. From now on, when you two are alone together on a ride or anything else, do not bring up your brother.”

Arella nodded. “I won’t.”

Her mother smiled and kissed her forehead. “I’ll see you in the morning,” she said and left.

Arella climbed into bed, her head full of confusing thoughts and emotions.