Growing Pains

Chapter 1

“You have got to be kidding me.”

“What’s the matter Millie, too good to sit at the kid table?”

Kids she could handle. Even this group. It was him Milania couldn’t stand.

Instead of waving back to the smiling Trevor Van Riemsdyk, Milania spun on her heel with full intention of wringing the neck of whomever thought it would be smart to change her table card. “This is a mistake!”

“I’m afraid not,” the wedding coordinator, Madeline said simply. “James and Gianna specifically stated they wanted you and his brother seated together at table seven. I thought it odd-“

“Odd? Madeline it’s the childrens table!”

“Please Milania, you’re making a scene.”

Milania blew a curl that fell in front of her eyes. “This isn’t a scene. When Trevor Pantsed me during a baseball game at a family reunion, that was a scene. When he told my mother I was pregnant with his child at my sister’s birthday party, that was a scene. When he taped condoms to my front porch, that was a scene!”

“You forgot the time you told my date I gave you crabs in the middle of a crowded restaurant.” Trevors voice had the nerve to sound amused as he piped in.

Milania felt her blood pressure boil. She didn’t bother turning around. The jerk would probably be smiling. “It was syphilis. If you’re going to mention it, get it right.”

“Mr. Van Riemsdyk, Milania, you have to understand-“

“Why is he mister and I’m just Milania?”

“Because I’m the man Millie”. He groaned when her elbow found his ribs.

Madeline looked ready to burst into tears.

“And there’s the happy couple!” Judging by the laughter, Madelines untimely demise was put off by none other than Millanias mother….and Trevors.

“Don’t they look just?”

“Just what?” Millania turned to see her mother, Audrianna and Eva Van Riemsdyk, arm in arm, giggling like school girls.

“Just miserable. Sweetie, leave poor Maddie alone, this is entirely our doing”, Audrianna cooed to her daughter.

Eva, a graying brunette, was already fixing Trevor, straightening his tie. Trevor was smiling down at her, his dimples showing and brown eyes teasing.

Audrianna pulled her away. “We’re punishing the two of you. You want to act like children, you’ll be treated like one. Quite frankly, we’re tired of having family events ruined by your constant bickering and pranks. This is your siblings wedding. Let them have their day”

“Don’t you think using today to punish us takes away from their day”, she asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

Audrianna and Eva smiled, “No, its our wedding present to them. Now go eat”.