Sequel: Divided Throne
Status: Brace yourself for the awesomeness.

Hollow Kingdom

Chapter One

The drums could barely be heard over the sound of the protests of the people, yelling horrible threats towards the poor fool who had to announce the prisoner as he walked to the gallows. Even he seemed uncomfortable, despite his feeble attempts at staying strong under the watchful eye of his queen. Queen Angelique watched with a stone expression, knowing that no one would dare try and test her directly, even if they were shouting protests. No one, that is, but the man standing with the rope around his neck. Daniel Blair made direct eye contact with the queen as his crimes were read allowed.

“...convicted of treason against the Kingdom of Aegaera, and attempted murder of her Majesty, Queen Angelique. The prisoner shall pay for his crimes, and is sentenced to hang.”

The crowd roared in protest as the executioner tightened the noose around Daniel’s neck. One single cry could be heard above the rest as a young woman pushed and shoved through the crowd, attempting to get to the front. Belle clutched her skirts in her hand to keep from tripping as she trying to weave her way through the crowd. Alec chased her as fast as he could, desperate to catch his younger sister before she caught someone’s attention in the wrong way.

“Danny!” she cried out, tears streaming down her face. “They can't do this!”

Alec caught her by the wrist and yanked her back, wrapping an arm tightly around her so she couldn't get away. With the help of his best friend, Alec and Evan managed to restrain the poor girl before she jumped up there herself. Daniel looked away from the queen only when he heard Belle screaming his name, spotting her among the crowd below him. His expression was oddly calm as he gave her a sad, but fond smile. Belle went completely still when their eyes met, and he mouthed the words ‘I love you’ while the executioner wasn't paying attention. This only made Belle tremble harder, desperate to try and free herself from Alec and Evan’s grip.

Alec looked up at the throne high above the crowd, where the queen watched the execution. She sat almost lazily upon her throne, picking at her beautiful, fine red gown and paying little attention to her displeased people. She almost seemed bored. This is what infuriated Alec the most. She felt absolutely no remorse. He turned his attention back to the executioner as he yanked the lever of the trap door beneath Daniel’s feet. Alec quickly pulled Belle into his chest, partially to muffle her loud, pained sobs and make sure not to catch any attention, and partially because he didn't want his sister to have to see her lover’s lifeless body as it hung from a rope. The sight, however, was too much for Alec to look at, too. Evan put a hand on his friend’s shoulder and they both looked away, just as Belle sank to her knees. She had cried and screamed so much, she passed out.

“Take her home,” Alec said.

Evan nodded and picked Belle up, taking her away from the crowd and to the little attic above the tailor’s shop they called home. Alec looked once more at the body of Daniel as it swayed from side to side, feeling his heart shrivel up in his chest. When he looked up at the queen again, she wore an amused smile on her face. He didn't notice his hands ball up into fists until a guard turned his attention in his direction. He loosened up his shoulders and shoved through the crowd to get home. Belle was bundled up in blankets, sitting in a chair and refusing to eat what Evan was offering her.

“She won't even talk to me,” Evan muttered to Alec.

Alec nodded, slowly moving towards her and kneeling in front of where she sat. Her eyes were puffy and red, and there were tear stains on her cheeks. Alec had never seen his sister look so defeated.

“I'll kill her myself,” she mumbled. “She's probably still in the square.”

“She's back in her palace,” Alec assured her. “Belle, you can't go after her. Especially not on your own.”

“Daniel did nothing wrong,” she argued. “You just want me to sit here and let them get away with it?”

“He sacrificed himself for the rest of us,” Alec said. “Had he not given himself up, the rebellion’s headquarters would have been found, and we would all be dead. Daniel will forever be a hero of the revolution.”

“A revolution that refuses to make a move,” Belle snorted. “You won't get anything done underground, like you seem to think.”

“Belle, we will take Aegaera back for the people,” Alec said firmly. “It will happen. We’re not strong enough yet. We can't fight a battle unless we know there is a chance to win. Patience, Belle. I know you're heartbroken. I understand. He was… He was my friend, too.”

Alec couldn't even say Daniel’s name anymore without it getting caught in his throat, but he couldn't cry in front of Belle. She broke down into tears again, and Evan moved to put an arm around her and mutter words of comfort. He was always much better at that sort of thing. Alec took a step back, nearly stepping on the tail of a rodent on the ground. The white ferret squeaked and scurried up the furniture to jump onto Alec’s shoulder.

“Sorry, Erwin,” Alec sighed. “It's been quite an afternoon.”

“Well if you ask me,” the ferret said, “She’s far too young to be in love, anyways.”

“Well if you ask me, ferrets aren't supposed to talk,” Alec snapped. “Watch your tongue, or I'll put you in a cage. Or feed you rodent food.”

“How rude,” Erwin said, sticking his nose up in the air. “You're quite snippy when you are on edge, Alec. You should watch your tongue.”

Alec said nothing, but let Erwin sit on his shoulder as he watched Belle cry.

“Daniel’s death will not be forgotten,” he said through clenched teeth. “He will see Aegaera free again, as it once was. Even if he won't be here to enjoy it himself.”

“If you say so,” Erwin yawned, hopping off Alec’s shoulder. “You’re more like your father than you even know.”

He watched Belle a little while longer before his heart couldn’t take it anymore and he left, headed back outside to take a walk and think. He needed a plan, and he needed it quickly. He stopped on his way out, noticing as the tailor who’d been giving them a place to live measured a young noblewoman. He took down notes as she explained what she wanted her regal, custom-made gown to look like.

“And with the good silk,” she told him. “Not the kind you use for common frocks. I can’t be looking like a handmaiden again.”

Alec watched as the tailor showed her his newest fabrics, and she happily accepted them. There was another fine gown laid out on the chair, which had clearly been rejected by the noblewoman. She noticed Alec behind her through the mirror and smiled warmly at him, but the smile faded when he gave no response. She quickly picked up her things, nodded to them both, and left the shop.

“Mr. Hale?” Alec called, just before the old tailor could leave.

“Yes?” he responded gruffly.

“Do you think you could do me a favor?” Alec said. “Something that would be a great help to the-”

“I don’t want any talk of those radical young people and their plans in my shop,” Mr. Hale scolded. “What do you need?”

“Could you use that fabric to make a suit?” he asked, getting straight to the point. “Something nice. Fancy.”

“I could,” Mr. Hale said. “For who?”

“Me.”

Mr. Hale laughed, shaking his head. “You kids up there haven’t been able to pay your rent to me for three months, and I’ve still let you live in my attic. And now you want me to tailor you a suit?”

“I’ll pay you twice what we’re due,” Alec promised. “I’d tell you what I need it for, but you don’t want any talk of that in your shop, do you?”

Mr. Hale wasn’t laughing anymore. He narrowed his eyes at Alec, pointing to the door.

“Get out of my sight, boy. I don’t want to see your face.”

Alec didn’t question him, quickly darting out the door. If he knew Mr. Hale, the man acted like he didn’t care, but he always knew the right thing to do.