Sequel: Divided Throne
Status: Brace yourself for the awesomeness.

Hollow Kingdom

Chapter Twenty-Two

Lily shivered but tried to ignore the cold as she and Alec swam deeper into the glowing cave. Eventually the water began to warm slightly and they surfaced to find themselves in an underground meadow. All the brightly colored lights made it nearly as bright as day. The grass was impossibly green and dotted with jewel-colored wildflowers.

"This is amazing," Lily breathed, swimming into shallower water and standing up to ring out her hair.

"I told you you'd regret it if you didn't come." Alec stood and pushed his wet hair out of his face. The walls were embedded with tiny gems that sent the light spiraling across the meadow in iridescent rainbows. Lily drew closer to the wall and reached out to touch it. It was warm beneath her palm and the gems seemed to pulse in time to her heartbeat until she pulled her hand away again. She laughed softly.

"I wonder what this place is," she said, putting her palm against the wall again. Alec came up behind her, studying the crystals.

"I don't know enough about magic to tell you," he replied. "You should ask my father about it."

"I wonder if we're even allowed to be in here."

"I'm sure there would be some magical alarm or booby trap or something if we weren't."

"We could have tripped a magical alarm and not even know it," Lily pointed out, turning slightly to smirk up at him. He was standing closer than she'd realized and she felt her cheeks flame as she bumped into his chest. She murmured an apology and started to step back, finding herself more or less trapped between Alec and the wall. His gaze was boring into her and she couldn't make herself look away even though she was sure that by now her entire body was red from the force of her blush.

Alec inclined his head, leaning closer to her and Lily reacted without even thinking. Her arms slipped around his neck as his hands settled on her waist and he pressed his lips against hers. Or maybe she kissed him first. She wasn't entirely sure. Everything became a blur of hands and lips after that.

"We should get back before they send someone looking for us," Lily said sometime later. She didn't know how long the two of them had been lying there in the grass, but she knew it had been a while. "It would be kind of awkward for someone to find us like this. Especially Belle or your father."

Alec sighed and opened one eye to look at her. "Yeah. I suppose you're right. But I told you this place wasn't guarded. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have had time to do...all that, twice, if it were."

He grinned slightly as Lily grabbed her clothes and swatted him. She slipped back into her underclothes and attempted to re-braid her tousled hair.

"You should leave it down," Alec said suddenly. "It...looks nice like that."

Lily let her hair fall back down, using it to hide the small smile on her face. After they were both dressed Lily gave the meadow a last lingering glance before following Alec back into the water and swimming back to the opening of the cave. She burst out of the cold water with a splutter and scrambled onto the cave floor, tugging her dress over her head. She hugged herself against the chill in the air. Alec put his shirt back on and then handed her his coat. Lily shook her head.

"I'm used to the cold, Alec. Orphans don't get costs unless they make one themselves."

Alec pursed his lips slightly, draping the coat across her shoulders. Lily rolled her eyes but pulled it tighter around herself anyway. They walked slowly back to the tree village. Alec seemed lost in thought and Lily suspected that he was still feeling torn about seeing Tobias again. They climbed back up to the tree house where Tobias lived, finding him and Belle sitting at the table talking quietly. They looked up as Alec and Lily entered. Belle's expression instantly hardened at the sight of their damp hair and clothing, and Lily wrapped in Alec's coat. Tobias just looked mildly amused.

"Found the crystal cave, did you?" he asked. "It's a nice place for a swim."

Alec didn't reply. Tobias stood and smiled kindly at Lily.

"Let me show you to a room you can stay in, Lily dear," he said. Lily started to hand Alec his coat back but he waved her off.

"Just keep it for now."

Lily flashed him a quick smile and followed Tobias to a neighboring, slightly smaller tree house.

"You should be quite comfortable here," Tobias said.

"Thank you," Lily murmured. Tobias studied her.

"So you're friends with my son, are you? You must have the patience of a saint to put up with his stubborn streak."

Lily laughed slightly. "He may have met his match with me in that area," she admitted.

"I don't doubt it. It seems neither of you have stopped smiling since you came back from your late night swim." He chuckled. "Good night, Lily."

"Good night." After he left, Lily realized he was right and she was still standing there smiling, wrapped in Alec's coat.

.::.::.::.::.


Lily was in oddly good spirits the next day, tidying up her little treehouse and humming under her breath. When she stepped outside she spotted Tobias, Belle and even Alec standing together and talking in front of Tobias's house. There was another man with them, who looked up when Lily approached.

"So this must be the girl from the castle," he said. "I understand you've been helping with the rebellion."

"As best I can," Lily said.

"Good, good. My name is Warren Alherst. I act as something of a liaison between the hidden magic villages. It's a pleasure to meet you."

He stuck out his hand and Lily shook it reluctantly. She glanced at Alec, who gave her a quick wink when Warren had turned his attention back to Tobias. She smiled shyly back.

"Some of us would like to gather tonight to discuss how we might finally turn the tides of this revolution and make some real progress. We think you may be able to assist in that area, Lily. And Belle says you may have found Samuel Denholm. This is all excellent news. These children of yours have done well, Tobias."

He clapped Tobias hard on the shoulder with a chuckle. "Come, let's all go eat. Something smells delicious."

Tobias made a face at Warren's retreating back. Lily thought she heard him mutter, "lumbering oaf," before he followed Warren across one of the hanging bridges. Lily kept sneaking glances at Alec, hurriedly looking away when he caught her. The four of them sat around a large table with Warren and a few other people Lily didn't know.

At first they just talked about Denholm and how they needed to bring him out of hiding. Tobias suggested trying to get a message to him, since they were acquainted and Denholm trusted him. Lily tuned most of it out until Warren said her name.

"The biggest issue we have is trying to infiltrate the castle," he said. "It's quite heavily fortified and we don't know enough about the layout to stage a proper sneak attack. You're familiar with it though. Your knowledge of the castle and the queen's day to day schedule could be the most valuable information to the entire operation."

A dozen pairs of eyes were suddenly on her and Lily felt her food turn to lead in her stomach.

"With all due respect, Mr. Alherst, I agreed to assist with this mission in an effort to prevent bloodshed on either side. I never said I would help you attack the castle."

Warren frowned. "I don't think you understand the severity of this situation."

"I think I understand it better than you," Lily shot back. "My goal is to stop a bloody massacre. Not create one."

"It won't be a massacre if you tell us what we need to know," Warren argued.

"The only way I would give you that information is if you swore to me that no harm would come to Queen Angelique."

Warren sat back, looking at once startled and disgusted. "You're worried about the damn queen? Do you not realize this is a rebellion against her?"

"Of course I do," Lily snapped. "And I don't want her being killed either. I won't help you infiltrate the castle just to put a sword through her heart."

Warren slammed a fist on the table. "This is no time for games," he said angrily.

"I'm not playing one." Lily stared coldly back at him. "Unless you can promise me that Angie won't be harmed, I will not help you lay siege to the castle."

"We could go in with a small group," Tobias spoke up.

"And all be caught and slaughtered?" Warren scowled. "This girl is useless to us, Tobias."

"She's prevented several of our sympathizes from being executed," Alec snapped. "She's not useless. She's as much an asset to this cause as anyone."

"And yet she harbors delicate sensibilities about the queen?" Warren scoffed.

"Just help them," Belle said to Lily, speaking up for the first time. There was a note of pleading beneath her frustrated tone.

"I can't," Lily said. "Not unless I have everyone's word that they won't hurt Angie."

"What is wrong with you?" Belle burst out, springing to her feet. Her blue eyes were murderous. "You've seen what she's capable of, and yet you defend her! How am you see what a monster she's being to the people of Aegaera and still have loyalty to her?"

"Because she's the only family I ever had!" Lily rose to her feet as well, matching Belle's glare. Why couldn't anyone just understand that Angie was all she had?

"Angie grew up in that orphanage with me," Lily said fiercely, the words spilling free in a rush. "Her father left her there after her mother died. We've spent our entire lives looking out for each other. There are a lot of things unclaimed little girls need protection from, and no one else ever cared about either of us. Something you could never understand. When Angie was fifteen a rich merchant bought her, to be a housemaid. But Angie was always the pretty one and we all knew what that really meant. She swore that she'd find a way to come back for me.

After she left, the woman who ran the orphanage decided it was too much trouble and shut it down. She sold the boys to the mine and she sold all the girls to the brothel. The youngest of us was only five. I don't even know what Angie went through to get where she is, but she came back and she saved all of us. How can you expect me not to show loyalty to the only person who's ever given a damn about me? My own parents didn't even care enough to give me a name! Angie is the one who named me Lily."

Lily stopped, realizing she'd been shouting and her eyes were starting to sting with tears she refused to shed. Belle had gone stock still and the table was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Lily couldn't even bring herself to look at Alec. Furious and humiliated she glowered at Belle.

"Do me a favor and stop acting like you know anything about me." She spun on her heel and started to stalk away. Tobias reached out as if to grab her arm but Lily jerked it away.

"Don't touch me," she snarled. She raced across the hanging bridge and down the spiral staircase to the ground. Then it occurred to her she had no idea where to go. She let out a growl of frustration and just darted blindly into the forest until her legs refused to go any further. She sank onto a fallen log and buried her face in her hands.

She should have just stayed in Falkirk.