Sequel: Divided Throne
Status: Brace yourself for the awesomeness.

Hollow Kingdom

Chapter Twenty-Three

Alec got up to run after Lily when she stormed out, but Tobias grabbed his arm before he went, giving him a look that made him slowly sit back down. He wanted to slap the amused grin off Warren’s face, but kept to himself. Belle had turned completely pale, staring down at her feet. Tobias was the only one who seemed calm, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath with his hands placed flat on the table top. When he opened his eyes again, any sign that he’d ever been tense was gone.

“She needs time to be alone,” Tobias told Alec. “You know this.”

“She’ll get lost,” Alec frowned.

“The village is protected by magic,” Tobias explained calmly. “No matter how far into the forest you go, you’ll always end up back to the village. She needs a magic user to get out, and no one will let her out without a valid reason. They know she’s with us.”

“Alright,” Alec mumbled, slumping in his seat.

Belle stood up suddenly, slipping a hand through her hair with that confused and distressed look on her face. “I… I’m going to bed. Good night.”

She kissed her father on the cheek and gave Warren a look before she left. For a moment, it looked to Alec like she was disgusted with how he’d treated Lily. Belle, siding with Lily? That was new. Warren watched her go, then turned to Tobias and chuckled.

“Your daughter is a handful, isn’t she?” he asked.

“She’s a good girl,” Tobias answered, keeping his tone calm despite the irritated look in his eyes. “She’s bold, but she’s a good girl.”

“Ah, she’ll simmer down once she’s married off,” Warren chuckled.

Tobias’s eyes seemed to harden at these words, but again, he said nothing. Alec wasn’t as polite.

“A husband isn’t going to stop my sister from being stronger than ten men put together,” Alec informed him.

Tobias cracked a smile, and Warren just laughed again, standing up.

“Well, this has been lovely, but unfortunately I’ll have to be taking my leave now,” he announced. “I have some unfinished business to take care of, and while I’d love to stay and chat, I should be getting to that before things get out of hand. Have a good evening, both of you.”

Tobias simply nodded, waiting until Warren was gone before speaking.

“Well, he’s been a strong believer in the cause. I suppose that’s one way to see him, if there are no other positive ways. Sort of looks like Erwin. Maybe I should turn the ferret human and the man into a ferret.”

Alec grinned, tipping back in his chair. “Maybe you should.”

Tobias stood, gesturing for Alec to follow him. “I know you’re upset with me, but I want to show you something.”

Alec hesitantly followed his father out and down the spiral into the forest, where Tobias lead him to a small clearing in the woods, where the grass was cut short. He sat down, cross legged, and motioned for Alec to do the same.

“What’s this about?” Alec asked, sitting down.

“Close your eyes,” Tobias instructed.

“Father, this is a waste of time,” Alec sighed, though he closed his eyes like he was asked.

“Trust me,” Tobias said. “Now, clear your mind of your worries, and concerns. Focus on your breathing. Inhale, exhale. Inhale slowly. Now try to match your exhale to the length of your inhale.”

Alec finally understood what was happening. It seemed pointless, but he gave it a chance. Inhale. Every friend he ever had was going to die in a violent revolution that was going to get them nowhere. Exhale. His friends knew what they were doing, and there will be little bloodshed in the strategically planned rebellion. Inhale. Lily had disappeared somewhere and Alec didn’t know what to do. Exhale. Lily could take care of herself, and certainly didn’t need Alec to protect her.

He felt the sound of his father’s voice disappear along with his worries, until a hand on his shoulder made him open his eyes again and go back to reality. Tobias waited for a response, and suddenly, Alec didn’t feel so angry with him.

“How do you feel?” he asked.

“Good,” Alec said simply. “I’m sorry for how I acted.”

“I’m sorry too, Alec,” Tobias said. “For everything. For the rebellion, for being taken away… even for your mother. I truly am sorry.”

“It’s not your fault,” Alec said slowly.

“So, we’re on good terms again?”

“We can try. Well… I’ll try.”

Tobias smiled with a relieved nod, hesitating a few moments before speaking again.

“I suggest doing that once, maybe twice a day,” he said. “It can help with a lot. There are certain dietary measures you can take to help with your stress, as well. I’ll find you some healing crystals.”

“Father, they’re just rocks,” Alec smirked.

“Then it won’t hurt you to try having them near you,” Tobias told him.

“If you say so,” Alec shrugged.

“So, Lily,” Tobias said, making Alec turn a bright shade of red. “Oh, Alec. You’re not fooling anyone. Especially not your father. What really is going on between you and Lily?”

“Nothing,” Alec said. “Really, if there was something to call it other than friendship, I’d tell you. And everyone else who asks.”

Tobias sighed, shaking his head. “Alec, when I first met your mother, we were seeing each other in secret. One day, she gave me an option. Either I confessed I loved her, or she left me forever, because she claimed she didn’t have time for my games. And you can guess how that ended.”

“That was different,” Alec protested.

“Yes, only in the sense that your mother was far more aggressive in the topic than Lily is,” he said. “My point is, women don’t like it when a man dodges his feelings and pretends it doesn’t exist. It makes her feel worthless. Like an object. A disposable object.”

“I don’t treat her like that,” Alec frowned.

“Of course you don’t,” Tobias said, standing up with a grunt. “Just a thought. You know what to do. You are a big, grown, adult man now, after all. You can make an adult decision.”

Alec rolled his eyes, standing up and following Tobias back up to the trees. It had gotten quite late. When they got back up, Tobias peeked in the room Lily had been sharing with Belle, finding that only Belle was in bed. He frowned and glanced out the window, then back to Alec.

“I don’t know Lily that well,” he said, “But if she intends on sleeping outside, I do know that it’s a bad idea. Why don’t you go find her?”

Alec was already two steps ahead of him, tying a cloak around his shoulders.

“I shouldn’t be long.”