Sequel: Divided Throne
Status: Brace yourself for the awesomeness.

Hollow Kingdom

Chapter Thirty

Somehow wedding plans moved forward despite Lily doing her best to avoid contact with anyone. She sent most people scurrying away with her acid glare and peevish attitude. She mostly kept herself locked away in her room when she could, staring listlessly out the window and occasionally sobbing herself to sleep.

Though she shouldn't have been, she was stunned that Angie had named her as heir to the throne. Lily wasn't qualified to be a queen; she was barely qualified to even function as something resembling a human being anymore.

So she had made a plan. A plan that solved all of her problems. As soon as she had recovered from the shock of learning she was meant to be Aegaera's new queen, she had decided the only solution was to flee Aegaera altogether. She would slip quietly away after the wedding and disappear. She knew Alec and his fellow revolutionaries would prefer to run things on their own anyway. Lily being named queen was a technicality they were just forced to live with for the moment.

Which was precisely why she'd insisted that if she was going to marry a rebel, it had to be Alec. Though it pained her to think that soon she'd be marrying a man that she could never actually have, at least he'd be in position to really bring Aegaera back to life. She knew it meant more to him than anything and she trusted that he could put things right.

He just didn't need her to do it once he was king.

.::.::.::.::.


"Things are coming along quite smoothly, now that we have so many magic users back in the kingdom."

Lily lifted her head wearily and stared at Tobias as he appraised her greenhouse with interest.

"That's...wonderful news," she made herself say.

"How are you feeling, about all this? I know being told you're a royal heir and getting married must come as quite a shock. Especially with everything else that's happened."

Lily shrugged. "It seems the best course of action, establishing a stable rulership as quickly as possible. The kingdom needs stability right now."

"That's a very queenly thing to say."

"I've been rehearsing."

Tobias smiled slightly. "Alec was quite taken aback when you chose him to marry."

Lily lowered her eyes, feeling a dull ache in her chest at the sound of Alec's name. She'd been avoiding him most of all the past week; being near him would just shatter her heart all over again. She had never felt so completely alone in her life, even if the castle was a hive of activity.

"I didn't want to marry a stranger," Lily said. "Alec and I know each other, at least."

"Well that's not particularly romantic," Tobias chuckled. "I think he's pleased with your decision, although he's still getting over the suddenness of the situation."

"I'm sure he'll be a good king," Lily mumbled, wishing Tobias would change the subject.

"I'm personally assisting with your dress," Tobias went on. Lily's head came up, brow furrowing.

"What?"

"Since we're trying to arrange the wedding as soon as possible, I thought it best to have some magical assistance with something as elaborate as a queen's wedding gown. Plus I have to admit I'm rather excited about gaining a daughter-in-law."

Lily stared at him, at a loss for what to say to that. Tobias gave her hand a gentle pat before leaving her be, whistling to himself as he went. Lily again had the sensation that she was coming apart at the seams, and she left the greenhouse to venture where she hadn't dared before now.

She went to the cemetery where Angie and Evan had been buried together, leaving bundles of white flowers on top of their headstones. She had worn a large cloak over her black dress to keep her face hidden, but now she pushed her hood back as she sat before the graves with a sigh.

"This may be the only chance I have to come see you," she said. "I suppose you forgot to tell me that you'd named me your heir, hm, Agnes? I'm sure you got a great laugh out of the look on my face, wherever you are. And I'm getting married. To Alec. But don't go getting that smug look on your face. It's not because he asked me." Lily paused, voice cracking slightly. She cleared her throat before going on. "I'm so stupid, Agnes. I should have known better than to think that he'd ever feel...that way....about someone like me. The rebels wanted to marry me off to some fool named Theodore and I insisted if they were going to force my hand into marriage it had to be Alec.

But I'm going to leave after the wedding is over. I don't belong here, and no one will need me anymore after it's over. I'm sure you must be so disappointed that you'll be missing my wedding day. I know you would've insisted on doing my hair and would have fussed over my dress and the cake. I miss you so much."

Lily realized she was crying and buried her face in her cloak. Night had started to fall when she finally forced herself to leave the cemetery and trudge home. She was greeted by Raz, who had been missing since the battle. His head was drooping and there was a distinct look of sorrow in his deep blue eyes.

"I know, Raz. I miss her too," Lily murmured. She picked Raz up and placed him on her shoulder. He rested his chin on top of her head with a heavy sigh. Most of the castle gave her a wide berth and left her alone as she walked through the halls, seeking the refuge of her room.

The next day she was woken by urgent knocking at her door. Grumbling, she flung it open to find Belle.

"The chefs have finished preparing a fantastic feast, the Great Hall and garden are decorated, and your dress is complete," Belle announced. "You're getting married to my stupid brother in two days."

Lily was surprised to see Belle actually break into a smile.

"Two days," Lily repeated. Two more days and she would be leaving Aegaera forever.

"Lily," Belle said, looking suddenly unsure. "I just wanted to tell you that, even though we haven't exactly been friends, I'm glad that you're marrying Alec. And I'm sorry, for everything you've lost."

Lily was touched, and felt a little guilty for what she was planning to do. But it wasn't likely that the people of Aegaera would trust her to be their queen, and as for Alec...well. It was just best for everyone if Lily was gone. Then Alec would be free to find some beautiful duchess or maybe a headstrong rebel like himself to fall in love and run the kingdom with.

Overcome with a surge of jumbled emotions, Lily tugged Belle into a fierce hug. Belle let out a startled oomph, slowly hugging her back.

"Thank you, Belle. I'm glad that we can almost call ourselves friends now."

Belle laughed. "Well pretty soon I'll have to call you my sister and my queen. I think I can start to get used to friend first."

Lily smiled. She would miss Belle, and Erwin and Tobias and even Dominic and little Prissy when she was gone. Then her head spun as it really sank in. She was getting married in two days.

.::.::.::.::.


It was the fastest two days of her life. It was a whirlwind of people hesitantly asking her for final approvals of the menu, decorations and last minute guest list. She had to fight the urge to scream at everyone to leave her alone. She could barely sleep the night before the wedding, pacing restlessly and picking out a few things to pack the following night. She was so jittery she couldn't sit still and when she finally drifted off she was nearly immediately shaken awake and whisked from bed to be primped for the wedding.

Belle and a team of seamstresses and maids swarmed into her room and set to work on her hair and make up. Lily could barely get a word in edgewise but was content to sit still and not think for a while. If she thought too much it became hard to breathe. Courtesy of Tobias, there were small white roses embedded with crystals for her hair, and Belle wove them throughout Lily's loose braid.

They helped her into the dress last and Lily was sure the mirror she was looking into must have been enchanted too. The dress was impossibly light silk, with a huge skirt flaring away from her waist. The bodice twinkled with tiny pearls.

"I can't possibly do this dress justice," Lily protested. "It's like I'm wearing moonbeams."

"My dad has a flare for the dramatic," Belle said. "But you look...amazing."

Lily wished Angie was with her. But she shook off her melancholy and plastered on a smile. She needed to look like a queen about to marry a king. Tears could wait for later. The walk to the Great Hall and then up the aisle to where Alec was waiting felt like a million miles. Her heart was pounding so hard by the time she reached the altar that she was sure her ribs must be bruised.

She repeated the vows the bishop told her to say, barely even aware of what she was saying. She mostly stared at Alec's throat, because if she met his gaze for too long she might blurt out something embarrassing. She jumped slightly when he leaned in to kiss her, and she drew back as quickly as she could, lips tingling.

Tobias, Belle, Dominic and some of the other rebels surged forward to congratulate them and shake Alec's hand.

"I never thought I'd live to see you get married," Dominic chuckled. Lily carefully began to edge away while Alec was distracted. Most of the people were paying more attention to Alec anyway. She managed a smile and murmured something about needing a drink of water when Dominic addressed her. Alec was occupied talking to Samuel Denholm, and neither Belle nor Tobias was looking her way.

Taking a breath, Lily beat a hasty retreat and escaped from the Great Hall. She fled toward her room, dismally letting the demure smile drop off her face. She ignored the sharp pang of sadness in her chest and started packing.