Sequel: Divided Throne
Status: Brace yourself for the awesomeness.

Hollow Kingdom

Chapter Thirty-One

Alec hated everything that was happening. He had no idea what was happening, and he had a fiancé who didn't want anything to do with him. Belle seemed to use the wedding to distract herself, and Alec let her do whatever she wanted. He didn't care, at this point. Not only was he going to be married, but he was going to be King of Aegaera.

"What if I trip and hit my head and die on the steps leading up to the coronation?" Alec asked, watching his father read over some event plans that had been sent to him.

"You won't," he said, only half-listening.

"Really? Because everyone seems to think I'll do something like that," Alec sighed. "Everyone thinks I'm below them."

"Because you are."

Alec glared at Tobias, who just chuckled and continued to explain himself.

"No, Alec, you're not on the level of some of those men," he said. "You're not a war hero, like Dominic. You're not educated, like Marie. Hell, your little sister is the one who makes sure you don't accidentally die of starvation."

"Get to the point," Alec grumbled.

"What you do have is heart," Tobias concluded. "When you care about something, or someone, you care very deeply. You will put your life on the line for it. This is what makes you a strong leader. Be confident in yourself, and people won't think twice about following you."

Alec said nothing.

"Alec, you care very, very deeply for Lily," Tobias added. "I know the circumstances seem forced, but despite how distant she is now, I know she feels the same. You two are off balance when you're on your own. You need to lean against each other to stand tall and strong. This could be a blessing in disguise."

"Maybe."

Just a few days later, Alec found himself married. The ceremony was the first time he'd seen Lily since the New Council meeting. She looked breathtaking, but she still wouldn't look at him.

After the ceremony, he wasn't sure where she'd gone. He'd gotten so caught up in people trying to talk to him that he didn't even see her leave. Soon the ballroom had erupted into music and dance, and people happily twirled around the floor. Everyone had recovered rather quickly, it seemed. Alec slipped away to try and find Lily while everyone was distracted. He found her up in the bedroom. Packing her bags. He just watched her for a little while, then knocked on the wall to get her attention. She gasped softly and jumped up, standing in front of the bag in a sad attempt to hide it behind her small frame.

"Alec," she stammered. "What are you doing here?"

"I was looking for you," he said, leaning against the wall. "It's very strange. People are unusually happy. They're dancing and laughing and celebrating down there. It's almost as if there was a wedding or something today-"

Emily clearly wasn't amused with his sarcasm, because he had to dodge the pointed heel of a shoe that came flying at his her. The shoe's pair came flying right after, this time hitting him square in the forehead with the flat side. This disoriented him enough to distract him from the other heavy things Lily started throwing at him.

"I... Don't... Need...This...Right.... Now!" she yelled, in between each thing she threw.

Alec swatted things and dodged as he moved towards her, getting close enough to grab both her wrists and stop her. She squirmed to get out of his grip, but he just pulled her into a deep kiss that made her go rather limp in his arms. She seemed dazed when he pulled away, but her eyes were sad and welling up with tears.

"What's this about?" Alec asked quietly. "What have I done this time, so I can make it right? I didn't expect my wife to leave me the day of the wedding. This wasn't supposed to happen for at least five years."

"I have to go," she mumbled, pushing Alec off her and sitting down on the edge of the bed. "Look, you got what you wanted. You won the revolution. Tomorrow, you will be king. I've done everything I can for you, and you don't need me anymore."

"I don't understand," Alec said flatly.

"You don't understand," Lily said through clenched teeth, looking like she wanted to throw something but finding that she'd already thrown everything. "There's nothing more you can use me for. From here, I'm useless to you. Why should I bother sticking around now?"

"Well," Alec shrugged, sitting beside her, "I was thinking maybe because I never intend on using you for anything. And because you're not disposable. And because if anyone needs you, I need you. Really, do you think I can survive on my own without you hovering over me and making sure I don't do something stupid?"

Lily smirked and rolled her eyes, turning her head away from him, but he gently took her chin and turned it back so he could look in her eyes as he said the next part.

"And, with your permission," he said quietly, "I intend on loving you more and more, every minute of every day, for the rest of our lives."

"What?" Lily said, expression changing.

"I love you, Lily," he repeated. "Very much. And if you leave, my life will be over. Now, if you hate me, then I'll let you go so you don't suffer. But I just want you to know that I love you."

"I love you too, Alec," Lily said, curling up in Alec's lap and letting him hold her as she blinked a few times and let a couple of tears fall. Alec wiped them away and kissed the top of her head.

"Are you still going to leave me?" he asked.

"No," Lily said, with sort of an uncomfortable laugh.

"Good, then," Alec said, standing up and holding out his hand for her. "If we're lucky, there might be some cake left."

.::.::.::.

The coronation the next day was filled with about twice the glitz and glamour as the wedding. People had been eagerly awaiting a member of the New Council to be king or queen for many, many years now. It was a day that was going to go down in Aegaeran history. Either as the start of a grand dynasty, or as the darkest era in history. That was all up to Alec, who somehow found himself at the top of it all.

Belle helped him get ready. He barely recognized himself. He was in a sharp uniform now, because the war had named him a hero in the battle at the palace, and had now named him the highest ranking general in the New Aegaeran military. The white uniform was matched by a dark red velvet cloak tied around his shoulders, with fur trim. At his side, a beautiful, custom-made sword that had been made special for this occasion. Altogether, the outfit probably cost more than Alec had owned in his entire lifetime.

"You sure look like a king," Belle sighed. "That crown is all that's missing. You know, once you're king, you can make me a princess. Because if you don't, then I'll be a 'Royal Highness'. And 'Royal Highness Belle' doesn't sound as nice as 'Princess Belle'."

His sister was also wearing an elegant blue gown, her black hair piled up in curls on top of her head. She looked like a princess, no less.

"I'll think about it," Alec said.

"Fine," Belle shrugged. "I'll ask Lily."

Alec shook his head, holding out his arm to his sister to walk her to the chapel, where the coronation was taking place. Lily was waiting outside, looking just as beautiful as she had the day before. She was wearing a deep green gown, with a cloak similar to Alec's. Her hair was tucked into a low bun at the nape of her neck, leaving space for a crown to be placed upon her head.

"Ready?" she asked.

"Ready," Alec nodded.

"We can do this," she said, taking a deep breath.

"I know we can."

The coronation was a long ceremony, which felt even longer with how nervous Alec was. He tried to remain as kingly as he could, but it seemed the entire kingdom was gathered there to watch. Lily remained calm, on her knees beside Alec as the bishop led a prayer that Alec hardly listened to. The sound of a choir came into the mix, and Alec found that the bishop had turned his attention to Lily, placing an elegant gold crown with fine gems encrusted into it upon her head. Then Alec. His crown was also gold in color, with fewer gems than Lily, but no less priceless. Alec looked down, heart pounding as the crown was placed upon his head.

"Rise, Lilian, Queen of Aegaera. Rise, Alec, King of Aegaera."

They both did so, standing and moving up the steps to the golden thrones. When they turned and sat, the people watching applauded and cheered, happy to see their King and Queen for the first time in a long time. Alec glanced at Lily, who looked back at him with a slight smile. Alec smiled back, sitting a bit straighter and looking out over the cheering people. They could do this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo this concludes Hollow Kingdom! But never fear, because we are psycho and can't stop writing so the sequel is coming soon! We will probably have the story page up today, which will be linked to this story, so if it's not there keep an eye out for it!