Sequel: Divided Throne
Status: Brace yourself for the awesomeness.

Hollow Kingdom

Chapter Seven

“I’m telling you, once she’s on our side, she’ll be worth having. You just have to give it a chance!”

Arguing erupted around the table in the small, dimly lit house that the rebellion used as a headquarters. People of all classes and corners of Aegaera would gather in on these meetings, waiting to hear what the plan was and when their voices would finally be heard by the monarchy. There were even some children hiding behind their mothers and fathers, most of which had been affected by Queen Angelique in some way.

Of those willing to fight and die for Aegaera, there were only three who were considered leaders. The first was Dominic Wither, who was an older gentleman who once served as a general under the prior king, until he talked back to the Queen one day and was sent away on the spot. For Dominic, it was personal. He blamed the Queen for directly ruining his life. The second was Marie Graham. Marie was a mother of three boys. Two of them served in the Queen’s military. Both had killed their own father and third brother by command of their queen. While Marie had been spared, she refused to rest until her sons were freed from serving under the Queen. The third was Alec, himself. He was young and a little bit radical, but that’s why the younger generation trusted him so much. He was a man to not just talk about a better future, but to take action. He was considered to be reckless by many, especially after one of his plans led to quite a few people getting imprisoned. When he suggested that they try to bring Lily on their side, they were distrustful.

“I don’t know, Alec,” Dominic sighed, leaning back in his chair. “I agree that she could be a valuable addition to our cause, but it’s far too risky. One wrong move and she could give us all away to the Queen, personally.”

“She would never do that,” Alec argued.

“How do you know this?” Marie asked. “Alec, it sounds to me that you might be personally smitten by this girl.”

“I’m not,” he sighed. “She’s just an old friend. I know her well. I trust her.”

“It’s difficult and reckless,” Marie said. “Besides, Evan now has a direct connection to the Queen as her personal friend.”

“She’ll have a cup of tea with him, but she won’t reveal anything to him like she would to Lily,” Alec snapped. “Letting her go isn’t a good choice.”

“Well, if you think you can turn her to our side, then you can do it yourself,” Dominic said, raising his voice so that Alec slowly sat back down in his chair. “But if you put any of us in danger-”

“I won’t,” Alec said quickly. “Just trust me.”

“Fine,” Dominic sighed.

“We’re trusting him?!” Marie asked, baffled. “Since when do we-”

“Enough, Marie.”

Marie scoffed and looked away. Alec stood up and nodded to everyone in the room before turning towards the door. Belle and Evan were watching and listening though Evan kept his eyes on his shoes. They followed Alec out, staying silent until they were out of earshot.

“You’re not going back there tonight, are you?” Belle asked, running a little to catch up with Alec’s long strides.

“I’m not. Evan is,” Alec muttered.

“I don’t know if I want to go,” Evan admitted.

Belle and Alec both stopped in their tracks and looked at him in surprise, and he just shrugged.

“Why not?” Alec asked.

“She wants to… do things,” Evan said, lowering his voice.

“So it means she wants you around her,” Alec said. “That’s a good thing.”

“Don’t give yourself too much credit,” Belle grumbled.

“Just go,” Alec sighed. “What's the worst that could come out of a little tea?”

She kills me.

“Fair enough. Let's get you looking handsome.”

It took some convincing, but Evan finally started to get ready to go, taking a little extra time to smooth his hair out when Belle didn't fix it the way he wanted. Alec would have joked that Evan was secretly trying to impress the queen, but he held back. It was no time for jokes, especially when his poor friend was that nervous.

Evan and Alec had gotten to the point in their friendship where everyone just knew they had to do everything together. Evan’s father had been the doctor who just couldn't save Alec’s mother, though with all the time the doctor had spent taking care of Mrs. Spaulding, Alec and Evan had really gotten to know each other. When Alec's mother passed away, Evan had surprised him when he came by to make sure he had his sister wouldn't be alone. Three years later, Alec made sure to be there for Evan, after his father had taken his own life when all the lives he couldn't save became too unbearable. Now, it felt as if it was the very first time in a long time that Evan and Alec were doing things somewhat on their own. Especially something like this.

“I'll be off, then,” Evan sighed. “Pray for me.”

“Wait,” Alec said, stopping him. “Take Erwin.”

“I beg your pardon?” the ferret said, lifting his head from the spot he was curled up in.

Alec ripped a small piece of paper and quickly scrawled out a note, tying it around Erwin's neck.

“Make sure this gets to-”

“Yes, yes,” Erwin grumbled. “We all know who it is for. The whole world knows who it's for.”

Alec was a little embarrassed, but tried not to let it show as he picked up the ferret and let him sit on Evan’s shoulder.

“Just keep an eye out,” Alec said. “Please?”

“Fine,” Erwin sighed. “The things I do for your father…”

Evan seemed slightly annoyed by the ferret, but he didn't argue. It was better than nothing, after all. He was willingly going into the snake pit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for your comments and reccs so far! We really appreciate it ❤️