Status: co-write

Copenhagen

The Investigator

Shortly after the bell of her third class of the day rang, Velma picked up her bag and began to pack her possessions, looking forward to arrive home and run a bubble bath.

Tuesday had always been her lucky day: the day she joined the gang, the day she cracked her first case all on her own, the day she got her lecturing job at Yale—and consequentially, the day she always ran bubble baths to honour the magnificent day that Tuesday was each and every week.Thus far, the day had been quite eventful. After lecturing one class and supervising a class test for the other two classes, she felt as though Tuesday’s magical powers were yet to kick in.

“Velma,” a voice interrupted her thoughts. She looked up to find a familiar face and after giving him a polite smile, she swung her bag over her shoulder and began to make her way out. “I’ve got a lead.”

She stopped dead in her tracks. With a wide-eyed gaze, her sudden parched mouth lacked the strength to respond. A new lead? She was the most efficient person she knew. After several months of constant midnight sessions consisting of research and investigation, some PI managed to find a lead before her? You’ve gotta up your game baby girl, she thought to herself.

“You don’t say?” she managed to voice. With a nod of his head, she followed him outside. They silently walked to the parking lot, not wanting the walls of the faculty to hear them. Velma unlocked her car, placed her bag in the backseat and waited for Ryan to get comfortable in the passenger’s seat. “What have you got?”

He shuffled some files around, appearing to be searching for a specific one. After several heartbeats and inaudible words on his behalf, he handed a blue one to her. Her fingers danced across the pages, her eyes moved rapidly from side to side, and her mind analysed every word.

Image

Tuesday had always been her lucky day, she thought—the day she joined the gang, the day she cracked her first case all on her own, the day she got her lecturing job at Yale, and the day she discovered a new lead in the case that ended her career for its lack of certainty.