Status: In progress

A Fresh Start

Chapter Twelve: Sarah and Matthew

Micah was still stressed the following morning while they were on their morning job. Cherise couldn’t think of anything to say but he didn’t seem too interested in talking anyway.

“He doesn’t know where you live, does he?” Micah asked when they got back to her apartment.

“He shouldn’t.”

“And if he does?” Cherise avoided his eyes. “I thought you said he was older than you.”

“He must have gone to college late,” she shrugged, heading to her room to gather the stuff for her shower.

“I don’t feel safe leaving you here on your own,” he said, following her.

She nearly bumped into him and sighed.

“I don’t know what else to tell you,” she said. “If he does try to come by my place, I’ll text you 9-1-1. Will that help?”

“It’ll make me feel a little better,” he admitted.

He leaned in to kiss her.

“I’m all sweaty.”

He put his hand on the back of her neck. “I don’t care.”

-

“Don’t forget that Sarah is coming over with her husband later today,” Cherise reminded Micah as they got to the office.

“Remind me who that is again?”

“Mr. Johnson’s secretary,” she said and told the story again of her husband being in the service.

“I’ll take our two new interns to the board room while you’re visiting, then,” Micah said just as Bryce and Chris showed up. “We’ll be going to another room,” he told them, getting his projector ready.

“Cherise isn’t coming?” Bryce asked.

Miss Allen, has an appointment. She’ll join us after.”

They left and Cherise let out a long sigh, unlocking a drawer in her desk. As much as she hated to do it, she took one of her Xanax, also knowing Micah would force her to if she didn’t.

“Cherise?”

She looked up to see Sarah and a man standing in the doorway. She grinned.

“Come in,” she said and closed the door behind them.

“I hope it’s still okay that we came,” Sarah said nervously.

“Of course it is,” Cherise said kindly and turned to Sarah’s husband.

“Matthew,” he muttered, shaking her hand. His eyes fell on Lira. “Is this the dog?”

“Sweetheart,” Sarah began.

“Yes, this is Lira,” Cherise interrupted and Matthew sat down. Cherise gave Sarah another kind smile.

“Is she a full Lab?” he asked, reluctantly putting his hand out.

It didn’t take long for Lira to be up in his face, licking him and wagging her tail. Sarah giggled.

“No,” Cherise answered, grinning when she saw a small smile on his face. “Just part Lab. We’re not sure what else she’s mixed with.”

“She’s a cutie,” Matthew said as Lira curled in his lap, placing her head on his arm. “Is she normally like this?”

“No.” Matthew’s face fell and he stroked Lira’s head. “How long were you in the service?”

“Fifteen years,” he answered. “Honorable discharge,” he added before she could ask. “Took a bullet to the back.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” she whispered.

“Why do you have her?”

“Seizures and PTSD,” she replied and Matthew looked up at her.

“Were you in the service also?”

“No,” she answered, “but I had a rough childhood and high school years.”

One of the major problems is just down the hall, she thought.

The three of them continued to visit for another hour while Lira fell asleep in Matthew’s lap. Sarah checked her watch.

“It’s time for your doctor’s appointment,” she said and stood up. “Thank you so much.”

Cherise smiled. “It’s my pleasure. Here, take this.” She handed them two cards. “The first is my business card if you ever want to come back up again. The second is a list of some service animal placement programs in Oklahoma. There’s one in particular that places pit bulls with veterans.”

Sarah hugged her tightly and Matthew shook her hand. They each gave Lira an extra pat on the head before leaving. Cherise took a minute to cry into a tissue. Seeing Matthew like that with Lira reminded her how lucky she was. After she had composed herself, she walked down the hall.

“… use Peachtree more than anything else,” Micah was saying as she slipped in the room, closing the door quietly. She sat beside him. “But Excel is also our best friend.”

“Do you use it just for numbers?” Chris asked.

Cherise was relieved to see they were both taking notes.

“No. We also use it to create special databases that we haven’t put in Microsoft Access. Eventually we’ll convert those over. Miss Allen and I are very busy so sometimes we have to stay late.”

“Will we be staying late?” Bryce asked.

Micah’s leg twitched under the table. “Oh, don’t worry. You’ll be leaving around 5 every day.”

Cherise cleared her throat. “I went over your tests and I’ve divided tasks among each of you. Starting tomorrow morning, the four of us will be in here. Mr. Morris and I will be around if you need us and we’ll be showing you special parts of different cases.”

“How many cases do you usually have going on at once?”

“Up to three.”

Chris whistled. “That’s a lot.”

“It’s another reason we’re a team,” Micah said. “Looks like that’s it for today. We’ll meet in this room tomorrow at 8.”

Bryce and Chris left and Micah let out a long breath when the door closed.

“It took everything in me not to yell at him,” he sighed.

Cherise put her head on his shoulder and took his hand.

-

“Can I make you dinner?” Micah asked when they got back to her apartment.

She smiled. “I’d love that.”

While he cooked spaghetti, she tidied up a bit. She hummed a little as he worked. It felt nice, being like this. For a shining moment, they felt like a real couple.

“It looks delicious,” she complimented as they sat down to eat.

“I sure hope it is,” he laughed, “because I had no idea what I was doing with those spices.”

Cherise laughed, too. “Looks like I’m going to have to educate you on some of this stuff.”

“I can’t wait,” he said and kissed her hand.