Status: In progress

A Fresh Start

Chapter Fourteen: Attack

“Nice apartment,” he said looking around. “You’ve done quite well for yourself, haven’t you?”

“How did you get in here?” she breathed and he flashed a pick at her. “Get out of my house,” she said as Lira barked a couple times.

He stood up and took a swig of wine, his eyes not leaving hers. She fumbled with her phone and he smirked.

“Going to call your little boyfriend?” he taunted.

She held down a button just as he snatched it and threw it on the floor.

“Leave me alone,” she said in a loud voice.

Lira stood between them, her hair on end, and he raised an eyebrow at her.

“Let me guess,” he said slowly. “She’ll attack if I lay a hand on you, is that right?” Cherise’s mouth had gone dry and suddenly the leash was out of her hands. “Not if she’s in the bathroom!”

Cherise ran for the front door but he grabbed her wrist and twisted it.

“Let go of me!” she cried as he pulled her against him.

She could smell the wine on his breath as he licked her neck. He had put the glass down. Lira was barking frantically in the bathroom. He began to undo her skirt.

“Please, just leave me alone,” she whimpered.

He spun her around and pressed her against the wall, locking her wrists above her head and holding tight.

“Oh, how I’ve missed you,” he said into her ear, dropping his pants.

“Please,” she cried and he chuckled.

“This is just turning me on even more.”

He pushed into her, squeezing her wrists so tight she felt her hands go numb. She screamed in pain as he pushed again. He was laughing in her ear when her front door kicked open.

He was pulled off of her and she fell to the floor, covering herself and shaking. She could hear thuds and the sound of knuckles hitting bare flesh.

Someone came behind her and put a jacket around her shoulders. She hadn’t realized she was completely naked. She had been praying that Micah had answered his phone.

“Micah!” the person snapped and she realized it was Harold. “Stop it! You’re going to kill him!”

“Good!” she heard Micah yell but the sound of hitting stopped just as sirens filled the air. “Let me go, Harold! I’m going to kill him!”

“Go to Cherise,” Harold demanded. “I said go to Cherise!”

Cherise kept her head down, too afraid to look up. She felt someone sit beside her and she moved away, afraid it was Bryce.

“It’s just me,” Micah said, taking her hands. “Cherise, where is Lira?”

“He locked her in the bathroom,” she answered and suddenly, everything hit her all at once and she began to sob.

Micah hurried to the bathroom and let the dog out. Immediately, Lira lunged for Bryce who was being put in handcuffs but Micah grabbed her leash. She was barking wildly and didn’t stop until Bryce was in the cop car. Then she ran to Cherise, planting herself right in front of her and glaring at the door.

“We need to get you cleaned up,” Micah said and she looked down.

She was wrong. Bryce had broken the wine glass and had cut her with it.

“Where’s your first aid kit?” Harold asked but she couldn’t talk.

“It’s probably in her bathroom,” Micah answered for her. “I’m so sorry, Cherise,” he whispered, sitting beside her and covering her breasts with his jacket.

“It’ll get blood on it,” she mumbled.

“I don’t care.”

Harold came out with bandages and alcohol.

“I’ll do it,” she whispered and the two men turned to give her privacy.

She put her clothes back on except for her shirt.

“I need some help with my bra,” she said, still whispering.

Micah helped her clasp it.

“Can you get your shirt on?” he asked and she shook her head, showing him her wrists. They were already starting to bruise and were swollen. “Lift your arms,” he said softly and she obeyed. He pulled the shirt gently over her head, being careful around her wounds. His phone rang. “No, she’s okay. We took care of her wounds here,” he said into the phone. “Thank you.”

Harold sat down in front of her. She couldn’t meet his eyes, or Micah’s.

“I am so sorry,” Harold said. “I should have pulled him from the internship as soon as you told me. Chris said Bryce was sick and that’s why he wasn’t there this morning. I didn’t even think that he might have….”

“It’s no one’s fault but my own,” Cherise said in a monotonous voice. “Micah was right. The plug should have been pulled a long time ago.”

“It’s not your fault,” Micah said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and sighing when she winced.

“I have to go back to the office,” Harold said, “and file this case. On Monday I’ll need you two to sign it.” All Cherise could do was nod. “We’ll be in touch.”

He left. Lira hadn’t moved from her spot and Cherise pet her slowly.

“I’m tired,” she mumbled after a while. “And I hurt from….”

“I’ll get you some medicine,” he said. His voice was shaking from anger. He returned with a glass of water and a pain pill. “Do you need help changing into your pajamas?”

“Yeah. Sorry.”

He helped her into her room and averted his eyes while she pulled her pajama bottoms on. He slipped her shirt on and lifted her so that she could get in bed.

“Will you stay with me?” she asked, finally looking at him.

He had a bruise on his jaw, undoubtedly from when Bryce tried to fight back. His shirt was torn slightly and his hair rumpled from his fight. He nodded mutely and got in beside her, taking his shoes off. She put her head in the crook of his shoulder and began to cry.

“You were right,” she cried and he rubbed her shoulder.

“Shh,” he said. “Quiet now. Get some sleep.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“You have nothing to apologize for,” he said firmly. “Now come on. Get some sleep and I’ll take you to your doctor tomorrow.”