Status: In progress

A Fresh Start

Chapter Sixteen: Tax Season Pt. 2

“My head is going to explode,” Chris muttered.

April 14th had arrived. With it came a flood of paperwork and clients. They were having trouble keeping up with it all. The three had to cram into Cherise and Micah’s office while Harold and the other board members met with special clients.

Chris did look stressed. His hair was on end and his eyes were red.

“I know,” Micah sighed, massaging his wrist. “Just three more clients and we’ll be done.”

“We are so going to the bar after this.”

It was noon by the time they finished two of the clients. The third was-

“Oh, you have to be kidding me!” Micah groaned and Cherise looked over his shoulder.

She laughed. “It’s your number one fan!” she joked, taking Felicia Brown’s file from his hands. “I’ll do this one. You and Chris start tidying up the office.”

It was a mess. Files had been pulled out of the filing cabinets and coffee cups littered the floor near the trash can. While Cherise finished filing Felicia’s taxes, Harold knocked on the door, looking excited.

“So?” he asked, his eyes bright.

Micah grinned. “Just finished the last one!”

Everyone cheered and Cherise laughed, turning her computer off and rubbing her neck.

“We’re all going to the bar if you want to come,” Harold said to the three of them.

“Chris?” Micah asked.

“You’re inviting me?”

Micah laughed and punched him lightly on the shoulder. “Sure. You’re part of the team now.”

Chris grinned and hurried after the rest of them. Micah, Cherise, and Lira hung to the back of the crowd and Micah looped his pinky around hers discreetly.

There was much celebrating at the bar. Harold bought a round and Jamie and a few waitresses hurried to get them to everyone. Micah, Cherise, and Chris all sat in a booth.

“You drink that,” Micah demanded, pointing at the draft beer in front of Cherise.

She wrinkled her nose and pushed it over to him. “No thanks.”

Micah shook his head stubbornly. He was already a little drunk.

“No, ma’am!” he said and held it up. “Harold bought this and you must drink it.”

Cherise sighed, smiling in spite of herself, and took a sip. She shuddered at the taste but took another sip. Then another.

-

“We should get some more,” Cherise slurred, leaning over the top of the table.

“Agreed,” Micah said and beckoned Jamie over.

“I’m going to have to cut you off,” she said to Cherise kindly.

Cherise glared. “But I’ve only had three!”

“You are such a lightweight,” she laughed and walked away to service more people at the bar.

“Party pooper,” Cherise pouted and leaned back in the booth. It was just her and Micah; Harold had dragged Chris off to introduce him to the other employees. She turned bleary eyes to Micah. “You’re incredibly handsome, you know.”

He grinned. “Oh yeah?”

She nodded. “And you want to know what else?” She moved closer to him. “I really wanna kiss you right now.”

Micah’s smile slowly left his face and he looked around. “But what about our coworkers?”

“I don’t care anymore,” she said, waving her hand. “I’m tired of having to hold secrets all the time.”

“Are you sure this isn’t the beer talking?”

“Micah,” she said, putting a hand on his shoulder. “Don’t be stubborn.”

He looked into her eyes before muttering, “Fuck it,” and kissed her on the lips.

The bar fell into silence then people started wolf-whistling and clapping. Micah laughed and pulled Cherise closer.

-

“You’re going to be hanging out with the toilet tonight,” Micah said, helping her into her apartment.

She was already feeling nauseous and sat on the cold tile while he fed Lira. Almost at once, the vomit came up and she coughed, the vile taste burning her tongue. Micah got down next to her, rubbing her back and holding her hair away from her face just as a second wave hit her.

“I am never drinking again,” she panted, rinsing her mouth out after everything in her stomach was now flushed down the toilet. “Never, ever, again.”

Micah laughed. “Jamie’s right. You are a lightweight.”

She flopped onto her couch and beckoned for him to join her but he hesitated.

“What’s the matter?” she asked.

“Are you still drunk?”

His voice was strange.

“A little,” she said slowly. “But I can feel myself sobering up. Why do you-”

Micah rushed to her and held her face in his hands. He kissed her passionately. At first she had been thrown off guard, but she kissed him back just as enthusiastically. She ran her hand through his hair as he slipped his tongue into her mouth. She moaned a little as his hand slid from her neck and over her breast lightly.

“Micah,” she panted, pulling away when he pulled at her shirt. “I can’t.”

He was panting, too, and shook his head. “No. I’m sorry. I got carried away.” He smiled at her, caressing her cheek. “It’s hard not to with you.”

She smiled back and they lay down on the couch. Lira jumped up on their feet and settled heavily with a small groan and fell asleep.

Cherise giggled. “Looks like we’re not the only ones who had a good time.”

He moved her hair out of the way and kissed her neck. She closed her eyes, enjoying the feeling.

“You know we’re going to catch hell from everyone when we get back from your sister’s wedding,” he said, burrowing into the couch and wrapping his arms around her.

“Probably,” she answered. “But I don’t care. Like I said, I’m tired of keeping secrets.”

She felt him smile. “Good because I’m ready for everyone to see us for what we really are. And that goes for you, too.”

She turned in his arms and looked into his deep blue eyes.

“You’ve been so patient with me,” she whispered.

“Of course I have.”

“I don’t understand, though.”

“What’s not to understand?”

“You could have anyone you wanted.”

“I have the one I want right in my arms,” he said and she blushed a little. He sighed, suddenly looking nervous. “There’s something I wanna tell you,” he murmured, going red in the face. “I don’t expect you to say it back. I don’t even expect you to accept it. I have to tell you, though. Ever since we met…. Well….”

Cherise didn’t need him to continue and kissed him very lightly.

“I love you, too,” she said and he grinned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long! It's been crazy here. I'll post some more tomorrow!