Status: In progress

A Fresh Start

Chapter Nineteen: Back to Work

Their two weeks in Tulsa were the most relaxing weeks Cherise had experienced in a long time. They visited the aquarium, the zoo, and a couple museums. Every afternoon, they’d go to a dog park so that Lira could run around with the other dogs for a while as they ate fast food.

They didn’t have another sexual encounter after the first one. Cherise was confused and she knew that Micah was, too. Yes, they were in a romantic relationship, and yes, they loved each other but the last thing she wanted was for it to drive a wedge between the two of them.

“I don’t want to go back,” Cherise admitted the night before they left.

Micah smiled, folding his shirts and packing them up. “I don’t, either, but we have a lot of work waiting for us I’m sure.”

He wrapped his arms around her and she rested her head on his chest.

“I’m glad I followed my doctor’s orders,” she said and he chuckled.

“Can I ask your permission for something?” he whispered and she nodded, looking at him. He kissed her deeply, running his hand under her shirt. “Can we….?”

She smiled and nodded, blushing as she pulled his shirt over his head.

-

“How was your vacation?” Harold asked shortly after they returned.

“Very relaxing,” Cherise answered, stretching. “I’m ready to get back to work, though. How was Chris while we were gone?”

“He’s an exceptionally hard worker. I’ve offered him an entry level position here when he graduates. I hate to do this,” he added, handing Cherise a Manilla envelope, “but this came to the office two days ago. I’m pretty sure I know what it is.”

Cherise sighed, taking it. “I’m pretty sure I know what it is, too.”

Harold led the way to the board room and Cherise threw the envelope onto her desk. After the celebration in the bar, Micah and Cherise had dropped all pretenses and walked hand in hand. As per her request, though, that’s where it stayed.

“I don’t know about everyone else,” Harold began once everyone was seated, “but I’m glad tax day is gone.” Everyone laughed appreciatively. “Our work never stops, though, so don’t let your guards down. We still have cases we need to take care of and we’re branching out to larger businesses.” He nodded towards Cherise and Micah. “You two will start it off until we get enough clients to expand.”

“Yes, sir,” they said in unison.

When they returned to their office, Cherise pulled up her email. “Oh goodness,” she groaned when she saw her inbox. “I don’t know what yours looks like, but this will take all day.”

“Most likely,” he agreed and Cherise double clicked on the first email.

Most of the emails were follow-ups with her clients, all thanking her for her hard work. There were a few from businesses that heard of them and wanted to hire their firm which was a big plus. She moved those to a new folder. The last two emails were nowhere near as cheerful.

“Well, we have a court date,” she announced to Micah.

“Yeah, I got the email, too,” Micah nodded. “I’m sure Harold received one, too. Witnesses and all that.”

“And my last one is from….” She frowned. “This isn’t possible. Mics, come here.” He rolled over and
she pointed at the sent. “They’ve CC’d the email but our email service doesn’t accept those from outside sources, does it?”

Micah shook his head. “What’s the subject?”

“It just says my name,” she said slowly and double clicked an icon on her task bar. “I’m scanning this for a virus before I do anything else.” Micah stayed behind her while they waited for the scan to be completed. For some reason, Cherise started feeling nervous. “Well, it’s clean,” she said when it was done. She looked over her shoulder at Micah. “What do you think?”

He shrugged. “If it’s clean, I say go ahead. Maybe someone here knows how to track IP addresses and all that technical stuff hackers are good at.”

Cherise double clicked, opening the email and they both leaned forward to read.

Cherise Allen,
If you’re reading this, it means you have not yet opened the envelope I sent you. This is fortunate for in the letter, I was not able to safely fill out all the information you need to know. This email is confidential and should remain as such.
Your father, Amos Allen, has been missing for two years. A packet was found in his apartment with very clear instructions. Should he go missing, you are to receive the letter and paperwork when the time was right. After your trip to Tulsa, Oklahoma, we have decided now is the time.
We need you to find your father. Your first place to begin is through your half-sister, Olivia. She has received the same information and is waiting on your phone call. It is imperative we find Anthony as soon as possible.


Cherise stared at the email then started laughing.

“This can’t be real,” she snorted and grabbed the envelope. She tore it open. Inside was a letter, probably the one mentioned in the email, and a black folder. She handed the letter to Micah who started reading it. “This is probably some sick joke.”

She opened the folder. There were newspaper clippings from other countries and some letters written in code.

“What, am I supposed to believe my father left us because he was a spy or something?” she scoffed.

“It says in the letter that he wanted you and your half-sister to know about this but no one else,” he said, still scanning the paper.

She stared at him. “You aren’t seriously believing all of this?”

He blinked. “You wanted to know what happened to your father. What if this is true?”

She laughed again. “You’re letting your imagination run away with you,” she said and stuffed the folder back in the envelope. “This is probably someone playing games. Maybe Seth and Bryce are behind it,” she mused, turning her computer off.

Micah held the door open for her. “What if it’s not a game, though?”

She shook her head. “This stuff only happens in movies, Micah.”

“Did you two receive the email from the lawyer?” Harold asked them as they were getting ready to leave. They nodded. “Why did they send you an email and an envelope?”

“It wasn’t from the court,” she said. “It was from-”

“Let’s go,” Micah said quickly. “I forgot to feed Lira last night before we left.”

He dragged her outside.

“You forgot to feed her?” Cherise repeated. “You weren’t even there.”

He got in the car, his eyes bright. “Let’s do this, Cherise,” he said, holding up the folder and she could see he was excited.

“Excuse me?”

“I’ve always wanted to be a spy,” he said with a grin. “Just think! We could be like James Bond and you’d be a Bond woman!”

Cherise giggled. “No, I would be James Bond. You would be the Bond girl.”

He laughed, pulling out of the parking lot. She considered the envelope quietly on the way to her apartment.

“Well,” she said slowly, “if you insist. But if this is just a wild goose chase, you owe me.”

He grinned and kissed her. “When do we start?”

“Friday,” she answered, tapping his nose. “We still have a job to do, remember?”