Status: In progress

A Fresh Start

Chapter Twenty-Four: Lido's

“So, are you going to follow through with the website Amanda sent you?”

Cherise and Micah were sitting in their office, eating Taco Bell, and waiting for the all-clear to go to Lido’s again. Harold had kept them from going in the morning.

“I don’t know,” she sighed. “It’s a little scary, don’t you think?”

He nodded, picking a tomato out of his taco. “Yeah but it’s also a crime.”

“Haven’t you seen Taken?”

He chuckled a little. “I think-”

Before he could continue, someone knocked on their door. Harold came in and sighed.

“You two were right,” he said. “Grab your keys. We’re going to Lido’s.”

Cherise frowned but followed him out, tossing her wrapper in the trashcan. Micah and Cherise followed behind Harold.

“Something’s wrong,” Micah said slowly. He turned into the parking lot. “Oh shit.”

There were police cars all over the place. Cherise got out of the car slowly, her eyes wide. Lira growled and Cherise looked down. She was gazing intently across the street but when Cherise looked, nothing was there. Figuring it was a squirrel or another dog, she closed the car door and walked toward a cop that was getting her attention.

“You Cherise Allen?” he asked and she nodded. “My name is Officer Downy.” Micah came up beside her. “Mr. Morris?” They shook hands. “You two were hired by Antonio Lido for taxes, correct?”

“Yes, sir,” Cherise answered, glancing over his shoulder where Antonio was being led away in handcuffs. When he saw her, he glared and pulled on the officers holding him. “What’s going on?”

“He was laundering money,” Officer Downy answered, watching as Antonio was put in a cop car.

“Why would he hire us, then?” Micah asked with a frown.

“Probably thought that having a firm behind him would make him less suspicious,” Cherise mused and the officer nodded.

“That’s what we’re assuming. We won’t know for certain until we get a confession from him.” He sighed and adjusted his hat. “Well, thank you for your help in bringing him in.” He shook their hands again. “If we need anything from you, we’ll call you.”

“Well, the fun never ends for us, does it?” Micah joked and she smiled, leaning into him.

Harold came over and shook his head.

“That’s sad,” he sighed and they nodded. “Well, the work goes on. Neil called. He says he has some trouble over at the laundromat.”

Micah saluted him. “Aye, aye!”

Cherise laughed and got back in his car. When they got to the laundromat, they found Neil outside, pacing.

“What’s the matter?” Cherise asked, getting out and he let out a cry of relief.

“I’m so glad you’re here,” he said and led them inside. “I received this in the mail!”

Micah read over her shoulder. “It’s an eviction notice?” he asked, frowning. “I didn’t know you were facing eviction.”

“I wasn’t! I have no idea what this is about! I can only imagine it has something to do with my books.”

“Calm down, Neil,” Cherise said, putting a hand on his arm. “Have you called this phone number?”

He nodded. “All they said was to call you!”

“Us? We deal with taxes. We’re not your lawyers.”

“Something else is going on,” Cherise sighed. “Another fishy case.”

“Another?” Neil repeated.

“Turns out one of our clients wasn’t legitimate,” Micah explained.

“Oh dear,” Neil said, seeming to forget about his worries.

Cherise sat down, pulling her computer onto the desk. “Neil, how are you with Internet?”

“Not very good,” he admitted sheepishly. “We haven’t quite gotten there yet.”

Cherise nodded and started typing. Micah and Neil stood on either side of her. She typed in the name of the supposed mortgage company ‘Browns, Inc’ and pressed enter. Neil groaned.

“I’m so sorry,” he sighed, looking at the fake website in dismay. “I got so caught up in all the trouble with my taxes….”

“How did they know we’re working for you, though?” Cherise asked.

“I mentioned it,” he shrugged. “I was panicking.”

She smiled kindly. “No need to apologize. You’ll run into scammers like these pretty often. I’m surprised you haven’t yet, in fact.” She clapped her hands and rubbed them together. “Now, shall we begin?”

He looked doubtful. “Are you sure you should, Miss Allen?” he asked.

“I’m fine,” she assured him. “I promise.”

“Don’t worry about her,” Micah said, putting an arm around her shoulders. “I’ll keep a good eye on her.”

Neil laughed and nodded. The door opened and an employee looked in.

“Where is the stock of bleach, Mr. Armstrong?”

He excused himself and Micah sat down, getting the box of receipts out of the closet.

“I was worried for a second there,” he said.

“So was I. But at least we can have a normal afternoon.”

Micah kissed her neck and she nudged him playfully before turning to the computer.

-

“Can I ask you something?” Micah asked that night at dinner.

He looked very nervous and she put her fork down.

“Sure.”

“I’ve been staying here for a while,” he began, looking at his fork. “Do you…. Well…. Since we’re both under one roof to begin with….”

Cherise felt her face go red, realizing what he was asking. They both sat in silence, Micah too embarrassed to look at her and Cherise contemplating the answer. It was true that they were spending all their time together. She loved him and he loved her. She looked around her apartment. Her mother had always said it was too big for just her.

“Never mind,” he said suddenly, taking a large gulp of wine. “I shouldn’t have asked. It was stupid. I-”

She put a finger on his lips and he looked at her a little fearful.

“Your place or mine?” she whispered, her stomach fluttering with nerves.

But as soon as he grinned at her and kissed her, all those nerves went away. In that moment, she knew that in his arms is where she belonged. Lira barked and jumped on their legs, licking Micah’s face.

“Does this mean you agree?” Micah laughed, scratching her ears.

After cleaning up, they headed to bed. Cherise stretched, her mind on the very interesting day they had at work. Behind her, Micah put his hands on her hips, kissing her neck. She smiled and leaned back, turning her head so she could kiss his lips. Things got heated and she pulled on his shirt but he shook his head sadly.

“No,” he whispered.

Cherise stepped back, hurt. “I don’t understand.”

He looked down and put a hand on her stomach. “Not yet,” he said in a choked voice and she kissed him deeply.

“Let’s get some sleep,” she said and joined him in bed.