Status: In progress

A Fresh Start

Chapter Twenty-Six: Threat

Frantic knocking woke Cherise and she groaned as Lira started barking. Micah wasn’t in bed so she dragged herself out of bed.

“I’m coming!” she yelled to whoever was behind the door. She opened it to see Micah with his hands full and a bag hanging from his teeth, trying to smile. She stepped to the side. “You turd,” she chastised with a smile. “What are you doing?”

He put the bag down and held out the two coffees. One was a white mocha iced coffee and she took it gratefully. In the bag were two muffins.

“I thought we could have a good breakfast,” he said, pulling the seat out for her. “I didn’t think to get a cup holder, though.”

She giggled, biting into the muffin. “What’s on the agenda for today?”

“Harold wants us to go visit our new client,” he said. They checked the clock. It was only 7:30. “Do you want to go on a jog?”

She wrinkled her nose. “No. Let’s take the morning off,” she added and he held up his coffee.

“Cheers to that!”

She laughed again and got ready for work. It was nice living with Micah. They had only had one argument since he moved in. It was, of all things, about the bathroom counter.

“How much makeup do you need?” he had groaned one morning. “I can’t even find my toothbrush!”

Cherise was in the shower, angry. “At least you didn’t wake up to plunging your ass into the toilet water.”

He had rolled his eyes and shoved some stuff out of his way so that he could brush his teeth.

Now, though, they spent most of their mornings in comfortable silence having compromised the bathroom space. One weekend they bought a rack that hung on the wall for her to put her makeup and other products on so that the counter was clear and he did his best to remember about the toilet seat.

She stretched as they got out of the car at the office, Lira became still as a statue when she saw someone coming out of their office building. Her smile disappeared.

“What the hell is she doing here?” Micah groaned, ready to jump back in the car.

Felicia Brown came sauntering over, a haughty smile on her face.

“Just the two people I wanted to see,” she said and thrust a piece of paper at them.

“What is this?” Cherise demanded and snatched it. “You’ve got to be shitting me.”

She passed the paper to Micah.

“Nice try,” he said, thrusting the paper back at Felicia.

“This isn’t a joke,” Felicia snapped, taking the letter from him. “You two have been poking your noses where they don’t belong.”

Cherise rolled her eyes. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she said and tried to walk around her.

“Don’t you know my father is a senator?” she challenged, her eyes narrowed dangerously. “I know people in high places. That includes the police department.”

“We’re not doing anything illegal,” Micah argued. “That’s an empty threat and I can turn that into the police.”

“We’re watching you two,” she said in a harsh voice. “Keep passing that website around and this won’t be the first threat you receive.”

She waved the piece of paper in their faces before leaving. They watched her until she climbed into a pink Mercedes and peeled out of the parking lot.

“What if she’s right, Micah?” whispered Cherise, not moving.

“It’s not possible,” he assured her. “All we did was pass information.”

“What does she have to do with any of it anyway?”

He shook his head and took her hand. “Come on. Let’s see if she talked to Harold.”

But it turns out she hadn’t. She had been waiting in the lobby for them. They didn’t speak as they walked to Harold’s office. Cherise was bothered and, even though he refused it, she knew Micah was, too.

“Are you guys ready to go?” Harold asked. “All three of us will be going to Mr. Gabriel’s home.”

“Why his house?” Micah asked. “Doesn’t he have an office?”

Harold pressed the one button in the elevator. “That is his office.”

“What does he do?”

Harold frowned. “More importantly, what was Felicia Brown doing in our lobby?”

Cherise and Micah shared a look.

“Just to do more flirting,” Micah lied. “I told her I was in a relationship with Cherise and she finally backed off.”

“Well, hopefully she’ll take that hint,” Harold said and they got into their separate cars.

“I don’t want to worry him,” Micah said when Cherise asked why he lied. “It’s better if this stays between you and me.”

“What about the police?”

He frowned. “Do you want to tell them?”

Cherise stared out the windshield, thinking. “We don’t have the threat anymore,” she said slowly, “so I guess it’s pointless now. If more come, though, I want to go.”

He nodded. “I agree. Holy crap.”

Cherise whistled. “Nice place.”

They had pulled into Peter Gabriel’s driveway. His house was huge. It was three stories with a large fountain in front that bubbled merrily. They got out and Lira sniffed the water in the fountain.

“Not here,” Cherise told her, pulling gently on the leash.

Harold knocked on the massive front door and an older woman opened. She grinned.

“You must be from Morris and Associates!” she said and stepped to the side. “Please, come in!”

“Thank you,” Harold said. “This is a wonderful home.”

She beamed. “My name is Arline Gabriel,” she said, shaking everyone’s hands. “I’m Peter’s wife. Please follow me upstairs. Peter is greatly looking forward to meeting you!”

They climbed a set of stairs and went down a small hallway. She knocked three times on a wooden door and led them in. They entered an office with a few bookshelves and a large desk facing the opposite direction of two windows. An old man was sitting at the desk, typing away at a computer.

“Ah,” he said and stood when he saw the three standing before him. “Thank you for coming all the way out here. I hope the drive wasn’t too far.”

“Not at all,” Harold said. “These are my two top accountants, Cherise Allen and Micah Morris. They’ll be working with you.”

He grinned. “It’s a pleasure to meet the two of you,” he said, shaking their hands.

“What is it that you do?” Cherise asked.

They sat down in the offered chairs as Arline hurried in with glasses of lemonade.

“I’m a writer,” he answered. “I’ve written a few novels.”

His wife glared at him. “Oh, don’t be so modest, Peter. He’s very accomplished,” she informed them. “He’s even written a few textbooks!”

He smiled modestly. “I’ve hired you for several reasons.” He sighed in annoyance, clicking his mouse. “First one being I just can’t understand doing all this tax business electronically.” Cherise smiled sympathetically. “Second one being that my lawyer has suggested I get someone to take care of my remaining finances.”

Cherise felt a small pang of sympathy. Arline was sitting in an armchair, drinking her lemonade through pursed lips. The room fell silent and Harold cleared his throat.

“I might as well tell you now,” Peter said and sat up. “I’m dying from cancer.”

“I’m so sorry,” Cherise whispered and Micah and Harold shared her condolences.

But he smiled. “Oh, I’ve lived a wonderful life. I just want to make sure my wife and children are well taken care of.” Arline stood up and left. He sighed. “She’s unhappy with my decision.”

“Where would you like us to start?” Micah asked, pulling out a notebook and Cherise did the same.

--

“That letter is still on my mind,” Cherise said as they headed home.

“I know,” Micah sighed. “I’m really curious but we need to put it behind us. We have a lot of work to do with Maria’s and Neil’s still.”

She nodded and held his hand as he drove. Her phone rang and she narrowed her eyes.

“Who is it?” he asked when he noticed she didn’t answer right away.

“Olivia,” she answered and slid her thumb over the green. “Is everything okay?”

“Why did you have to take it to the police?” She was crying. “I’ve received three threats already!”

“Why?” she demanded. “You had nothing to do with it!”

Olivia sniffled. “I don’t know what to do.”

“Go to the police,” she said firmly as they pulled into the parking lot. Micah frowned at her.

“But what if-”

“There are no what if’s. They can help you. Please trust me, Olivia.”

“Okay,” she whispered.

“Call me as soon as they do something.”

“I will,” she promised and hung up.

Cherise sighed. “They’re sending her threats, too,” she told Micah as they walked in.

“Is she going to the police?” he asked immediately.

“She’s afraid to,” she answered. “But she has to.”

He sat down on the couch and pulled her with him. “This is all my fault,” he sighed and she frowned.

“How is it your fault?”

“I talked you into this.”

She shook her head firmly. “No. Don’t do that. This is just… I don’t know what this is but we have to keep focused like you said. Besides, if it comes down to it, I’m sure the police will be willing to work with us again like they did when we handed them the website.”

“I thought the idea of police protection silly at first. Now I’m not so sure.”

She kissed him and he leaned into it. “Let’s get some food. I’m hungry.”

“So am I,” he said, “but for something different.”

He kissed her again, pulling her onto his lap. She sighed through her nose and ran her hands through his hair. He slowly lifted her shirt and caressed her breast with one hand. The other began to unbutton her slacks. She could feel his heart rate increase but, before anything could go further, they broke away at the same time.

Tears fell down Cherise’s face and he kissed them away.

“It’ll get better,” he promised and she kissed his temple.

“I feel like we’ll never get back to normal,” she admitted, putting her head on his shoulder, still straddling his hips.

“We will. Whatever it takes, we’ll get back to normal.”