Status: In progress

A Fresh Start

Chapter Three: A Rough Night

“It’s so nice there are people who have an altitude for clothes,” Cherise joked on their way back from work.

Micah laughed. “I tried so hard not to correct her.”

They pulled into her apartment complex and he looked for a place to drop her off.

“And it’s so nice to know there’s a ‘firm’ who knows what ‘they’re’ doing,” Cherise added, batting her lashes like Felicia did.

Micah wrinkled his nose. “Oh, shut up.”

“Aw, come on,” Cherise goaded, nudging his arm as he pulled into a parking space. “What girl can resist those brown locks and blue eyes?”

“You,” he said and Cherise’s smile disappeared. He was looking at her with a serious look in his eyes and she sighed. “Never mind,” he said quickly. “Sorry.” He leaned forward and scratched Lira’s head. She licked him.

“Micah,” Cherise began but he smiled.

“Forget it.”

“No. I know it bothers you.”

“I get it,” he promised. “Besides, it’s fun watching you squirm.”

She punched him playfully and unbuckled her seatbelt. “See you tomorrow morning. I probably won’t go for a jog this time, though.”

“Your joints?” he asked sympathetically.

“Among other things,” she nodded and got out, waving good bye as he pulled out. She sighed heavily. “Oh, Lira, what is wrong with me?”

She unlocked her apartment and closed it, taking her jacket off and still thinking about Micah. He was incredibly patient with her. The first time he asked her out, she had given the “I need to focus on school excuse” but it didn’t take long for him to see through that. The real issue lay with her ex-boyfriend who, when she was a sophomore in high school, took her to a bar and drugged her drink.

She scooped some food into Lira’s bowl and set it down on the floor, opening her fridge and pulling out some leftover lasagna. That was one thing Cherise loved: cooking. The major aspects of her life couldn’t be controlled so it was nice to have something that could be. Follow the recipe, make some changes if you want, and boom! You have the desired result.

While it was heating up in the microwave, she turned on the TV, flipping through channels until she landed on the Food Network. Her phone buzzed and she saw she had a text from her mother.

Call me when you can!

Frowning, Cherise pressed the phone icon and held her phone to her ear. Her mother answered after the second ring.

“Your sister’s getting married!” she said before Cherise could even say hello.

“Really?” she asked, stunned. “I didn’t even know Jean was dating anybody!”

There was a moment of silence and Cherise could see her mother looking around to make sure she couldn’t be over heard.

“It’s more of a shotgun wedding thing,” she whispered. “They were seeing each other on and off then she got pregnant.”

Cherise let out a low whistle. “So she’s only marrying the guy because she’s having his kid?”

“I think she loves him. She’s just too scared to admit it.”

That definitely fit Jean’s character.

“Have you met him?”

“He came for dinner today when she announced the news. He seems like a nice gentleman.”

“You don’t sound so sure of that.”

Her mother clicked her tongue. “Who am I to judge?” Cherise didn’t say anything and her mother sighed. “I’m sorry, honey.”

“It’s all right, Mum. It’s been 17 years.”

“Have you heard from him?”

“Nope,” she said, trying to sound casual. “Olivia says he’s ‘busy’.”

“Maybe she’s right.”

“Or maybe he’s just….” She stopped and sighed. “Hey, my dinner’s ready and I need to take Lira for a walk. Tell Jean I said congrats and let me know when the wedding is.”

“Okay, honey. I love you.”

“Love you, too,” she said and hung up the phone.

She sighed and pulled her lasagna out of the microwave, tossing Lira a treat as she did so. She wasn’t sure how she felt about Jean getting married; especially since she had never met the guy. She just hoped that Jean was making a wise decision.

Lira whined and pawed at Cherise’s leg.

“I’ll take you out in a minute,” she mumbled but Lira kept pawing at her.

Cherise frowned and looked down. Lira’s face was intent, her ears perked forward. Cherise groaned and got on the floor.

“Are you alerting, love?” she asked and Lira started licking her face, putting her paws on Cherise’s shoulders.

Cherise grabbed the nearest pillow and closed her eyes.

-

Micah honked his horn and she groaned, taking another pain pill along with her normal medication. She tried to brush her hair but the night before had left her stiff as a board. She hadn’t even been able to shower.

She stumbled out, locking her door and trying to act normal.

“Morning, Starshine,” Micah said cheerfully, passing her a coffee.

“You’re a life saver,” she mumbled and took a large gulp, waiting for him to pull out.

“It happened again, didn’t it?” he whispered and she avoided his eyes. “Are you sure you should go to work today?”

“I have to,” she sighed, playing with the straw as Lira licked Micah’s hand. “My sister is getting married,” she said, trying to change the subject.

“Really?” Micah shifted gears. “That’s exciting. Who’s the lucky man?”

“I don’t know. It was a bit of a shock for the whole family, apparently.”

They got stuck in the morning traffic jam. “Normal or shotgun?”

She laughed. “What do you think?”

“Aww! Little Cherise is going to be an auntie!”

Cherise stuck her tongue out at him. “Mom is ecstatic,” she said, leaning her head against the head rest. “Her daughter is getting married and having a kid.” Micah took her hand and she sighed. “I’m being such a downer this morning. I’m sorry.”

“Meh,” he shrugged, getting on the interstate. “It happens to the best of us.”

“What’s on the schedule for today?”

“Well, Harold wants us to do some paperwork. Tomorrow we get to meet with Miss Fancy so he’s going to do some research on who her father is. He’s worried we’re dealing with someone who is related to a mogul.”

“I wouldn’t be too surprised,” she said. “Who wears four inch heels!?”

He laughed as they pulled into the parking lot. He opened her door for her as she gathered Lira’s leash and took her briefcase.

“You don’t have to do that,” Cherise said quickly.

“And you shouldn’t even be at work today.”

“Please don’t tell Harold,” she begged.

“If you insist,” he sighed as they got off the elevator.