Status: In progress

A Fresh Start

Chapter Four: Discomfort

The next morning, Cherise and Micah pulled in front of the clothing store.

“Why do I feel like we’re working with a teenager?” Cherise sighed.

The store was decked out with pink and the display had six mannequins. There were three on the left dressed in short summer dresses of different colors and sexy sandals. The other three were on the right and dressed in men’s cargo shorts and polo tees with sports shoes.

When they walked in, rap music was blaring from the sound system and they looked through the numerous displays for the main counter. Young girls were flipping through the clothes and jewelry while their brothers or boyfriends casually examined the shoes, trying not to look too interested.

They finally found the front counter where a young man who looked like he had used too much spray tan was ringing up an order. To pass the time, Cherise picked up a sample perfume. Too her surprise, it actually smelled nice.

“I bet that would work wonders on a pretty lady like you,” the man behind the counter said, flashing her a smile.

“Easy there, buddy,” she said, setting it down and saw Micah smirk out of the corner of her eye. “We’re here to talk with Miss Brown.”

“Hold on, I think she’s in the back.” He turned. “OY! FELICIA!”

Felicia came sauntering out in a mini skirt and hot pink tank top.

“Micah!” she cried, rushing forward. “Miss Allen,” she added, shaking Cherise’s hand.

“If you could call me Mr. Morris, that would be great,” he said but she pretended not to hear him.

“Come with me to the back,” she said, leading the way with a beckoning of her finger.

Micah motioned for Cherise to go first. They passed a display with lacy thongs and he nudged her playfully.

“I’ll sic Lira on you,” she said under her breath and he snorted.

Her office was small and cramped with merchandise. She shoved papers around on her desk and gave her computer chair to Micah. She dragged a couple boxes over for Cherise to sit on and stood behind the computer chair, leaning on it. Micah edged away from her as much as he could.

“Here’s all my documents,” she said, pulling out a folder.

Micah opened it just as another employee stuck their head in.

“There’s someone trying to lift some shoes.”

Felicia sighed heavily. “My job never ends,” she said and hurried out.

“Cherise,” Micah said in a pained voice and she looked over.

“Oh, good Lord.”

What she had hoped would be a simple folder was a mess of receipts, poorly written checks, and deposit slips.

“Are they at least in order?” she asked.

He sighed and looked at the first two receipts. “December 20, 2015,” he read on the first one and let out a weak laugh. “March 3, 2013,” he read on the second one. “We definitely have our work cut out for us.”

“Well, I’ll start by getting them in order,” she said, pulling the mass of documents together. “You can start making the spreadsheet. Make sure you log these hours,” she added, looking dismally at the papers. “We’re not getting cheated this time.”

-

It took Cherise an hour just to get the receipts in order. Felicia stopped in to bring Micah a soda and Cherise a water. Micah was about to complain but she stopped him, putting the water on the floor for Lira.

“I’m not thirsty,” she assured him as Lira lapped the water up.

“At least take a sip,” he said, holding out the drink and she did so.

Micah finished typing up the spreadsheet. “I guess we’ll start with 2013,” he said and she pulled out the receipts for the year.

“She opened in February,” she said and he started typing. “Her first receipt is from the 15th so she probably took over on that day or a few days before. She has a total of 300 receipts for that year.”

“Well, at least she’s a good business woman,” he commented and Cherise nodded.

-

“I need a drink,” Micah groaned as they left at 5, letting Felicia know they would be back the next day. “Want to run by the bar after we drop our hours off?”

“Sure,” she nodded and they swung by the office.

While Micah ran to log in the hours, Cherise got out Lira’s bone and played with her for a bit. It took him almost ten minutes to get out there.

“What held you up?” she asked.

He looked thoroughly annoyed. “We need to set boundaries with Miss Brown tomorrow,” he grumbled. “She called my work phone to ask me out.”

He shuddered.

“What’s the matter?” Cherise asked, smirking. “The hot pink tank top not do it for you?”

“Ha ha, very funny,” he said sarcastically.

They walked into the bar and took a booth in the back. Micah ordered a Jack and Coke while Cherise got a strawberry daiquiri with Bacardi.

“Should you be drinking?” he asked.

She laughed. “There’s like, half a shot in that drink. I’ll be fine.”

Cherise munched on some peanuts as Lira jumped up next to her on the booth, licking her face once. Cherise smiled and kissed her muzzle.

“Cherise!” a voice called and she looked up to see the bartender come hurrying over.

Jamie Smith was an elderly woman with short grey hair that she constantly dyed brown and bright blue eyes. Lira’s tail began to wag as she reached their table.

“Hello, Lira,” she said in a baby voice that made Cherise cringe. “Hi, Micah,” she added and Micah grinned. “You guys haven’t been here in a while.”

“It’s been a busy season,” Cherise said. “Tax day is only a month away after all.”

“May I sit with you?” she asked and Micah moved over so there was room. “Any new clients?”

Micah groaned, gripping his hair and Cherise laughed.

“A young woman-”

“Girl,” Micah grumbled.

“By the name of Felicia Brown,” Cherise finished.

Jamie sighed, shaking her head. “That’s one tough case. She comes in here, demanding free drinks. ‘Don’t you know who my daddy is?’” she said in a very good imitation.

“Who is her father?” Cherise asked. “Our boss did some research and didn’t come up with anything.”

“He’s a senator for a different state,” Jamie answered as their drinks came. “He used to run for senate in Oklahoma but he never won so he moved on to Alabama I think.”

Cherise looked over at Micah but he had his eyes glued to the television that was showing the recent football game.

“How’s your daughter?” Cherise asked.

“Good, good,” Jamie nodded. “She started a new job at a law firm so she’s excited about that. Her boyfriend isn’t, though. He didn’t get accepted so he’s been sulking for the last three days.”

“Are they still living with you?”

“Only until she starts making money.” Cherise smiled. “Well, I have to get back to work. You guys enjoy your drinks.”

“Thanks,” they said in unison then Micah returned to watching the game.

Cherise observed him over her glass. He looked incredibly tired and still annoyed from their recent meeting.

“Do you want me to do the onsite meetings from now on?” Cherise offered and he shook his head.

“Where you go, I go,” he repeated.

“Yes but this way you don’t have to spend half the time chasing her off.”

Slowly, his face changed as an idea dawned on him. “I know just what to do,” he said excitedly and leaned forward.