Status: In progress

A Fresh Start

Chapter Five: Awkward

“So, what do you say?” Micah asked as they went on their morning jog.

“My answer is still a firm no,” she said, stretching as Lira went potty.

“For me?” he asked, pulling a puppy dog face and she groaned.

She could never say no to that face.

“Oh fine,” she snapped and he grinned. “But just for today!”

“I’ve already called Harold and explained the situation,” he panted as they curved around the sidewalk.

“We’re going to look so unprofessional,” Cherise responded. “Can’t you just say, ‘Hey, this is business, back off’?”

“You really think that would work with her?”

Cherise admitted that it probably wouldn’t and, like normal, Micah waited until she was out of the shower before heading back to his own apartment to get ready. It took Cherise longer than normal to pick out her outfit.

Micah’s plan was simple: Get Cherise to dress nicer than Felicia, show off what she has, and Micah would show more interest in her than Felicia.

“She’ll only hate me more,” she had said.

“But maybe she’ll get the hint that I’m just not interested,” Micah argued.

“Or she’ll be more determined!”

“Just one time,” he said. “If it doesn’t work, then we’ll sit her down.”

Cherise sighed and pulled out the shortest skirt she felt comfortable wearing and the red camisole that had a v-neck her mother got her once for Christmas. She pulled out a matching work jacket and a pair of red and black heels she hadn’t worn in years. Micah wolf-whistled when she got in the car.

“Easy tiger,” she warned, pulling anxiously at the skirt and he chuckled.

“Don’t worry, you look fine.”

“I feel like this skirt is going to ride all the way up,” she complained.

“How do you even own clothes like that?” he asked.

Cherise had always been a conservative dresser. If she wore skirts, they never went above her knees and she always wore button up undershirts.

“My mother,” she sighed. “She wants me to dress like this more often.”

“Hmm, I think I agree with her.”

“Shut up,” she snapped and he laughed, pulling easily into the parking space. “You’re going to have to help me out,” she admitted. “This damn skirt doesn’t leave much room for leg movement.”

He got out and held a hand for her to take. She stood up slowly, pulling down the skirt as she did so. She stumbled in the heels, bumping into him.

“Sorry,” she sighed but he didn’t answer. There was a strange look on his face as she shut the car door. “Let’s do this.”

He led the way inside to the back room. This time he let Cherise have the computer chair and he got out the paperwork while she fidgeted.

“Ugh!” she groaned finally and he looked at her. “What the hell am I supposed to do with my legs?”

He started laughing and came over. “Cross at your knees,” he said.

“The damn skirt is too tight,” she sighed.

“Then try your ankles.”

She obeyed and found that much easier. He pulled the boxes over just as Felicia walked in. Her eyes lingered on Cherise before slamming two bottles of water on the desk and storming out.

“Message received,” Micah said triumphantly and she pulled up the spreadsheet.

Felicia kept popping in during the day but, every time she saw Cherise, she’d get a nasty look on her face and do her best to try and talk to Micah.

“You never answered my question,” she said around noon, turning away from Cherise and leaning close to Micah.

He leaned back, looking uncomfortable. “What question?” he asked.

“About dinner, silly,” she giggled and Cherise took a deep breath.

“Sorry,” she said and Felicia glared. Cherise rolled the chair over and took Micah’s hand, lacing their fingers. “Micah, would you be a dear and get the water for me?” He smiled and did so. She took it then kissed his cheek. “Thank you.”

She rolled back to the computer and returned to typing, keeping half her attention on the conversation.

“Come on,” Felicia was pressing. “Just one date. I promise you’ll enjoy it.”

Cherise bit her lip, her heart hammering in annoyance. Can’t this woman take a hint?

“I’m afraid I can’t,” came Micah’s reply.

“Why not?” she asked, sounding pouty. “Is it little Miss Doggy over there? Because I’m sure she wouldn’t mind me borrowing you for a night. Surely she has other men who’d love to hitch up that skirt.”

“That’s enough,” Cherise snapped, turning in the chair. Micah shot her a warning glare but she ignored him. “We’re trying to work. We have something called a Code of Conduct.” Felicia’s eyes were narrowing even further. “This is breaching at least three of those codes. And if you’d like to stay out of jail, you’ll leave us to our job and stop making my partner uncomfortable.”

“I’m not making him uncomfortable,” she said smoothly, running her hand on his shoulder.

“Actually, you are,” Micah muttered, standing and moving beside Cherise. “And I’m afraid Miss Allen is correct.”

She looked furious. “Maybe I’ll take my business to that other firm, then.”

“And have them charge you twice the amount we are?” Cherise asked and Felicia pursed her lips. “You have a decision to make, Miss Brown. And I’m not putting one more entry in until you do.”

Felicia glared between the two of them and tossed her hair over her shoulder.

“Fine,” she said finally. “Just get your stupid business done and leave.”

She left, slamming the office door behind her. Cherise sighed and shook her head, turning back to the computer. Lira licked her hands a few times but Micah didn’t move.

“Micah, I need you to read out those receipts,” she said tiredly.

Suddenly, the chair was spun around and his lips were on hers. She froze, her eyes wide.

“Oh shit,” he breathed, stepping back. “Oh shit. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that. Shit.”

He was grabbing his jacket but she stopped him.

“Hey, it’s okay,” she whispered, her heart fluttering in her chest. “Just sit down so we can finish these numbers, okay?”

He looked at her uncertainly but slowly sat back down. He cleared his throat and continued reading out the numbers. The air around them was tense and she suddenly felt very sad. After they were done, they left, not bothering to stop to say bye to Felicia.

They didn’t speak as they went back to the office so Micah could drop off the record of their hours. Cherise was petting Lira, preoccupied. She couldn’t stop thinking about what happened. When he came back out, he was still tense and she tried to think of something to say but her mind was blank. They pulled up to her apartment and he put the car in park.

“Cherise, I shouldn’t have done that,” he said again, looking straight ahead. “It’s just, the way you talked to her…. I’ve never had someone stand up for me like that before.”

She took his hand. “I told you it’s okay,” she said softly and he finally looked at her. “If anyone’s to blame, it’s me.”

He frowned and turned in his seat. “What are you talking about?”

“We’ve been friends for five years,” she whispered. “I know that you like me but I’ve been keeping you at arm’s length because….” She felt tears prick her eyes and she looked outside as Lira put her head on her lap. “The last time….”

He took her chin and guided her face so she was looking at him.

“I can wait,” he whispered. “I know what happened. You can’t let one rotten apple spoil the bunch. You know I’d never hurt you.”

She closed her eyes as the tears leaked out. He unbuckled her seatbelt and let her cry on his chest.

“I feel like I’ve been leading you on,” she admitted.

“You haven’t,” he promised. “I know where you stand on this.” He sighed heavily. “I screwed things up, didn’t I?”

She swallowed and leaned away from him. “I’m willing to let it go if you are.”

He smiled and nodded.