Status: In progress

A Fresh Start

Chapter Nine: First Date

Cherise paced in her apartment as Lira watched from the couch. Micah would be arriving in under ten minutes and she was getting anxious. What if she was making a mistake? What if they stopped being friends because a relationship couldn’t work? She didn’t want anything to get in the way of their friendship.

She jumped as if she had been shocked by electricity when someone knocked on the door. Lira jumped off the couch when beckoned and Cherise opened the door. Micah was standing there in a pair of nice jeans and a button up, short sleeved shirt.

“You look nice,” she commented.

And smell nice, too, she thought as he grinned and motioned for her to get in the car first. After Lira had jumped in at her feet, he closed the door for her.

While he got back in the car and turned it on, she fidgeted with her shirt sleeve. He was humming.

“So, how has your Sunday been?” he asked.

“Quite boring, actually,” she answered, trying to relax in the chair. “I watched some movies but that was about it.”

“Too nervous about tonight?” he asked with a smirk on his face.

She pretended to glare. “Shut up,” she mumbled, aware her face was red.

He laughed, pulling into the parking lot of her favorite steak restaurant, Santa Fe. They walked in and waited for a host. It was warm and country music played over the speakers. The waitress led them to a booth and Cherise slid in, putting her purse on the seat as Lira settled on the floor, munching on peanut shells.

“She is going to have the worst gas tonight,” Cherise muttered to herself and Micah laughed.

Cherise ordered a Sprite while he ordered Coke and they sat in silence for a little while.

“I have no idea what to say,” she admitted finally and he smiled.

“Who says we have to talk?”

“Isn’t that the rule, though?”

He tilted his head. “There are rules?”

Cherise tucked some hair behind her ear, putting a straw into her cup. “I don’t know anymore. It’s been so long.”

“That is more than true,” Micah agreed.

After ordering their food, they switched the topic to sports.

“I still don’t know how you can’t like football,” Micah said, shaking his head.

“I just don’t understand it. All it is, is some guys throwing an egg shaped ball from one end of a field to the other.”

He snorted. “Because basketball is so much different.”

“At least they can’t hold the ball while they run,” Cherise retorted, smirking. “And they’re not wearing tights.”

Micah shuddered. “Like wrestling.”

“That’s something I will never get into,” Cherise nodded.

Their steaks arrived and Cherise rubbed her hands in excitement. Micah was smiling as he cut into his steak. For a while they just ate. Lira’s head popped up from under the table, her nose in the air. Cherise giggled and set aside a piece to give her later.

“Lira is doing much better,” Micah commented.

“The extra behavioral training definitely paid off,” she agreed.

“Would you two like dessert?” the waitress asked.

Cherise shook her head. “I’m full.”

Micah paid for their meal then led her outside. “I figured we could go for a walk, if you’d like,” he said, suddenly looking anxious.

Cherise’s heart began to hammer as she nodded silently. While they were eating dinner, it felt like how they normally interacted with each other. Now that they were walking down the street, however, it was feeling more like a date. Lira sniffed the grass, giving them something to do before one of them had to bring up conversation.

“It’s nice out,” Cherise said then cringed.

He chuckled, moving closer. “Yeah, it’s pretty decent for April. Are you ready for the tax season rush?” he asked.

It would be tax day soon and they would start getting slammed with people needing last minute help.

“Before or after we finish up with Miss Daddy’s Girl?”

They both laughed and the air around them lightened.

“I still can’t believe her,” Cherise said. “I mean, I understand feeling entitled, but I didn’t think girls like that even existed.”

“I always assumed they stayed in high school,” he said and she felt their pinkies brush together.

She swallowed as he held her hand. Feeling bold, she laced their fingers together.

“Some people just don’t grow up, I suppose.”

“You never really told me much about your high school,” he said.

She sighed. “There’s nothing to tell, really. Just four years that I really don’t want to relive. What about yours?”

“I played football for two years but tore my ACL during a game so that was it for me. That’s when I started getting into financing.”

Cherise couldn’t help but laugh. “From football to taxes. That’s quite the leap.”

“My grandfather was the one who pushed me to try it. He wants someone to continue doing what he is.”

“What about your mom?”

“She’s more into news casting. It suits her really well, too.”

“I don’t remember seeing her on any news stations.”

“That’s because she lives in Seattle.”

They fell into silence again. Cherise hadn’t realized it, but their shoulders were now touching. Smoothly, as if it were second nature to him, Micah put his arm around her waist. Cars rushed by and joggers went around them while Lira continued to lead the way.

Despite her nerves, Cherise suddenly found out she was enjoying herself. Then, with a pang, memories of her ex came back and she stopped walking. Lira turned around, jumping onto Cherise’s legs.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Micah asked, frowning.

“It’s nothing,” she breathed. “We should probably go back to the apartment, though. It’s almost time for me to take my medication.”

Micah nodded and they headed back to his car. He kept shooting glances at her as if waiting for her to fall any second. She took deep breaths as they went back, putting her head back on the headrest. Lira put her head in Cherise’s lap but otherwise remained silent.

“Do you want something to drink?” she offered when they got back in.

“Only if you tell me what happened back there,” he said seriously and she avoided his gaze. “I know you, Cherise. What happened?”

“Just something stupid,” she sighed, fiddling with a glass. “My brain isn’t cooperating.”

“It’s about your ex, isn’t it?”

“Dammit.” She put the glass on the countertop and closed her eyes. “Am I that transparent?”

She felt his arms around her. “No. Lucky guess.”

She put her head on his chest. “I’m sorry. I totally ruined tonight.”

He chuckled and she felt warm. “Nope. I still enjoyed myself. If you want to make it up, though, you could let me kiss you.”

She looked up at him. His hair was falling into his eyes, eyes that were locked onto hers. She couldn’t think of anything to say but he didn’t seem to need a physical answer. He leaned closer, closing his eyes as she did the same.

Unlike the two times they had kissed before, this felt different. It felt more intimate. They started off small until she pulled him closer. He deepened the kiss, running his hand through her hair. She stood on her tiptoes, holding his face in her hands. Shyly, she allowed him access into her mouth and he groaned quietly, leaning into her and kissing her as if the world depended on it. She returned the kiss, running her hands down his neck and to his chest.

He broke away first, breathing heavily and pressing his forehead to hers. She kept her eyes closed as he caressed her cheek.

Lira barked, bringing them back down to earth and he chuckled a little.

“Nice timing,” she grumbled and he kissed her lightly.

“I should probably get home anyway,” he whispered and she opened her eyes. “We have a busy day in the morning.”

“Let’s keep this between us, yeah?” she asked. “The last thing we need is our coworkers giving us hell about it.”

He grinned and nodded. “I completely agree.”

He kissed her one more time before leaving, giving Lira a good scratch on the belly.