Status: Updates will be much more timely after edits for The Thing About Monsters are completed. :)

Cupidity

Chapter Number One

People like Sable, they don’t exist, you see. They are merely figments of the human imagination. Designed to scare the children to bed and keep the masses in line. They’re the super villains of great horror flicks. Films primarily orchestrated to get men laid after protecting their mates from the nightmares of Hollywood. They are the bump in the night and the attack of your heart.

Admittedly, they make a great excuse for sin.

Psychosis too.

Schizophrenia, murder, mayhem, all that jazz.

However, people like Sable revel in this anonymity. For the greatest trick that the devil ever played was convincing people that he didn’t exist, is it not? If the devil does not exist, then his collection of your soul is no consequence for the atrocities you might commit during the course of your miniscule lifespan. If the devil does not exist, then neither do demons.

And if demons do not exist, then what has humanity to do but blame each other for their struggle and their strife?

But perhaps the greatest aspect of this infinitely ingenious trick, was that which caused humans to lose their faith. They questioned God with the ease at which they backstabbed each other. God readily took blame for the allowance of murder, rape, suicide, war, kidnapping and torture. He was easily made scapegoat for life’s deepest of struggles, and took the blame for the faults of His children as lovingly and as compassionately as might any good father.

This was perhaps, the greatest trick of all.

And Sable sat there brooding over such wonder of the hellish world whilst repeatedly sipping a Heineken at the bar. Sable liked beer. He liked eating and drinking and smoking and sleeping and conducting himself as would any self-respecting demon of Greed. He enjoyed having fingers and toes and nice cheek bones with a splash of mahogany hair. He liked purse-snatching, burglary, bank-robbing, and jewelry heists.

He enjoyed the company of his ruler, Stillbite, the Dragon King of Chaos. And he made the most of his powers in creative ways which appeased the little fellow. However, if you really thought about it, Sable had a pretty crap job. According to the Western version of the story. The Christian one. The biblical one. Demons only got to do what they did because God let them be. Eventually, their Daddy up there would get around to burning them all in prisons of their own making.

For eternity. It was going to be one hell of a raging time.

But for now, Sable was free to do as he pleased.

Disrupting the very important business of being human.

After having found himself stuck on earth in The Beginning, Sable had decided to follow the seventh deadly sin of Greed. Because dragons for one, and fire for the other.

But mostly because he wanted it back. He wanted it all back. He wanted his harp and he wanted his Eden. He wanted his cozy niche under a tree with an apple in one hand and a pear in the other. He wanted his t-rex and he wanted his lake with the water so clear you could see down to the pebbles at the bottom. He wanted money, power, fame, fortune. He wanted love and he wanted sex.

If you wanted it, he wanted it too.

But most importantly… after losing his career to some prissy archangel named Michael…

He’d wanted a job.

A point.

A purpose.

And Greed happened to have an opening…
♠ ♠ ♠
Like I said, we'll see where this goes. :P