For Your Eyes Only

I'm Just Drunk Again

The world was a cruel, heartless place. You could be the nicest person on the planet, you'd still get screwed in one way or another. That was why I was sitting in front of my complex, a half empty bottle of Jack Daniels in my lap. I lifted the glass to my lips, taking a long sip. The burning had since stopped, and my head felt lighter than a cotton ball. I was doomed the second I decided to stand up.

"Alright?" I looked up at the owner of the voice, trying to make my eyes focus. When I could finally see, a small smile graced my lips. He was all long limbs, dark curls, and sparkling green eyes. Dangerous in my opinion, but my inhibitions had been lowered by the large amount of alcohol that I had in my system.

"Yep. Just wondering why the world is such a shitty place. Do you know why?" I asked, leaning my head against the wall behind me. His hands were shoved deep into the pockets of his coat, and he shrugged.

"I'm sorry, love. I can't answer that."

"Of course you can't. No one can. I think we're being punished. I blame Eve. She was a bitch." He chuckled, taking half a step toward me. I raised my eyebrows, taking another sip from my bottle, humming happily to myself, though I was far from amused.

"Are you waiting for someone?"

"Not necessarily. I locked myself out, and no one's come by."

"Well you're in luck. I'm meeting a friend for dinner. I'll tell him to come down." I watched as he pulled a phone from his pocket, swiping his finger over the screen before holding it up to his ear, "Yeah, I'm downstairs, and it seems as though a lovely lady has locked herself out. I need you to open the door." There was a moment of silence where I assumed the person on the other end of the phone was responding before they hung up.

"Lovely lady, huh?" I wiggled my eyebrows, smirking up at him.

"Do you lock yourself out often?"

"At least once a week," I replied honestly, screwing the cap back onto the bottle. It was safe to say that I was done for the night. Any more, and I was sure to black out, and that was a hangover that I wasn't looking forward to. I had to work in the morning, and I wouldn't survive.

"Here he comes."

"Aislinn." A familiar voice chuckled from behind me. I looked up, grinning at the only friend I'd made in the building.

"Hey, Grimmy."

"You two know each other?" My 'savior' looked between the two of us, a confused smile on his face.

"This beauty here locks herself out once a week. I'm usually the one that lets her in. She'd freeze or starve if it weren't for me. The other people in the building don't like her too much. She's not the nicest."

"She seems nice enough. Bit cynical, but nice enough." I snorted, pushing my fingers through my hair. I was in desperate need of a trim.

"That's because she's pissed. Drunk Aislinn is the best. She's a proper bitch when she's sober."

"And you love me for it."

"Of course I do."

"Do you think you could stand, love?" Sparkly green eyes was standing right in front of me, holding his hands out. I took a deep breath before slipping my fingers into his.

"It's probably not the best idea. I have a very keen feeling that I'm going to vomit, and I don't want to ruin your clothing."

"I'm sure you'll be fine. Let's get you inside." I let him lift me from the ground, closing my eyes and fighting against the wave of dizziness that crashed over me. I kept my breathing as even as possible, knowing that if I started to hyperventilate, there would be whiskey and chips all over the floor.

"You're a wonderful human being," I said, poking at his cheek as he basically dragged me toward the elevator.

"If I ever get to see you sober, I'm going to remind you of this moment." He was smiling at me, and I was trying to focus, but the world was spinning.

"It would be in everyone's best interest if you either got me to a trashcan or to my flat as soon as possible." I clamped my mouth shut, breathing through my nose.

"I need your keys."

"Don't have those. I told you, I locked myself out. The door should be open." Sure enough, my front door was unlocked. I ran straight for the bathroom, unloading the contents of my stomach into the toilet. It was unpleasant, and I sighed as I rested my head on the edge of the bathtub.

"Do you need me or Nick to stay with you?"

"No. I'm fine. I don't want to ruin your plans."

"You sure?"

"Yes, you gorgeous human. Now get out so I can vomit in peace." He was trying not to laugh at me. I could see it in his face.

"I'll make sure he checks on you when we get back."

"Thanks --" I trailed off. I felt like I was supposed to know his name, but I was coming up blank as I stared at him, my brows furrowed.

"Harry."

"Right. Thanks, Harry. You're a saint." I managed a grin before he walked out, and I vomited into the toilet again, groaning loudly. When I was positive that nothing else was going to come out, I flushed the toilet and brushed my teeth, stripping down to my underwear. I collapsed onto my bed, knowing I was going to be in for a rude awakening.