For Your Eyes Only

In the Words of a Broken Heart

The party was in full swing, but the guest of honor had yet to arrive. She liked to make an entrance, which made her "fashionably late" to everything. I'd tried to get her out on time, but her exact words were "it's my party, and I'll show up when I damn well feel like it". I wanted to smack her, but that was just Colette, and it was a feeling I often had when she was around. It was just how our friendship worked.

"By the time she gets here the party is going to be over," Grimmy grumbled, walking over to stand next to me. I rolled my eyes, taking a sip from my cup. It wasn't nearly strong enough, but something in my gut told me not to get hammered tonight.

"I know, but she's probably going to throw something at me if I tell her to hurry up again. Where's Harry?" He was another person that wasn't here yet, and from what I understood, he was really punctual. Grimmy smirked, completely taking my question out of context.

"Why? Do you miss him already? You saw him yesterday."

"You're not funny. I just figured he'd be here before me." I didn't want to play into Nick's waiting hands. He wanted me to be angry, and I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of seeing me upset.

"I thought he would be too, but when I called, he said he had business to attend to. He should be here soon." The door swung open and hit the wall. I watched Nick cringe, and I was almost positive there was a scuff mark that he'd be paying to fix. Colette was grinning like a mad woman as she strutted into the room and pressed a kiss to both of our cheeks.

"I'm here!" she yelled, holding her hands out and spinning around in a circle.

"You're obnoxious." I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, dragging her with me to the kitchen. She needed a drink, and I needed to warn her.

"I think I'm allowed to be obnoxious for the night. It's my party after all."

"Yeah yeah. I have to tell you something." I was mixing a series of different alcohols and juices into a punch bowl to make a lethal concoction that was sure to knock her and everyone else on their arses.

"You got me a stripper didn't you?"

"No, I didn't get you a stripper, but someone is coming, and I'd really like it if you'd be on your best behavior." I knew I was asking for a lot. Colette had a crazy switch that was always on. I didn't remember the last time I'd seen her completely calm without her being hungover or just waking up. Even then she wasn't calm. She was irritable.

"Be on my best behavior? What kind of person do you think I am?" She widened her eyes in fake shock and placed her hand on her chest like I'd said something to offend her.

"The kind that turns into a pompous arsehole when she's had too much to drink," I pointed out, raising my eyebrows at her.

"I know not of what you speak." I rolled my eyes, bumping her with my shoulder before pouring the sweet smelling liquid into a cup and shoving it in her face. I watched her take a sip, waiting for the stamp of approval, "You're trying to kill me." She grinned before downing the rest of her cup and handing it back to me for more.

"There you are. Nick said I might find you in here." Harry was grinning at me, looking every bit like the unfortunately gorgeous human that he was. I returned his smile, walking over to give him a hug.

"I'm on drink duty." He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pressed a light kiss to the top of my head. I maneuvered away from him, trying to hide the uneasy expression on my face. Nick warned me that Harry was overly affectionate with his friends, but I hadn't taken him seriously. Colette cleared her throat, smirking between the two of us.

"You must be Letty. I'm Harry. I've heard a lot about you."

"Aislinn's a liar," she said immediately, an innocent smile on her face. I let out an unattractive snort while she batted her eyelashes like she wasn't Satan's reincarnate.

"So you didn't get us arrested three months ago?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Okay, so maybe she's not a liar. And I got us out of it, but I promise I'm not as horrible a person as she made me sound."

"I know. You're worse." I grinned, grabbing my bottle of Jack Daniels from the counter. I unscrewed the cap and took a long sip, welcoming the familiar burn in my throat.

"And you're a bitch."

"Yeah, but I'm a golden child compared to you." It wasn't exactly a lie. I was the calmer of the two of us, but I was what most people called the "silent crazy". Colette was very vocal about the fact that she was a psychopath.

"Whatever. So, Harry, what brings you to my welcome home shindig?" She was back to batting her eyelashes, and I watched as the shit storm started to unfurl.

"Aislinn invited me." He looked a bit uncomfortable as she walked over and placed her hand on his arm. She pulled her shirt down and made a point to stick her chest out, but he was looking directly at her face. I stifled the laugh that bubbled in my chest and took another sip of the dark liquid in my hand.

"And how did the two of you meet? Ash hates making new friends."

"For the record, I didn't really have a choice." I threw in before Harry could tell the story of how he found me locked out of the building.

"She was drunk on the sidewalk, cursing about how life wasn't fair and that Eve was a bitch." They both shared a laugh while I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, that sounds about right. Been skipping your therapy sessions again, Ash?" I rolled my eyes and walked out of the kitchen, throwing myself onto the couch next to Grimmy and some dude he'd decided to lock lips with. I threw my legs across his lap, promptly getting his attention. He glared at me, but I just shrugged and leaned against the cushions, tilting my bottle back once again.

"Where's Letty?"

"Flirting up a storm in the kitchen with Mr. Styles. I'm assuming your guest bedroom will be occupied within the next fifteen minutes." Colette worked quick. I never stuck around long enough to watch her work her magic, so I had no idea what was going on. Grimmy smirked, raising his eyebrows at me.

"You sound a bit upset, dear."

"Not at all." My bladder suddenly decided that it wanted to be full, so I set my bottle on the coffee table and made my way towards the loo. I'd only just finished when there was a light tap on the door, "One second." I tried to rush, hoping whoever was knocking wouldn't throw up on me when I walked outside. I quickly washed my hands, drying them on the towel hanging up behind me. I pulled the door open and jumped back in surprise when I saw Harry standing there.

"I was wondering where you'd run off too." I looked around the corner for Colette, assuming they would be using the room for a quick romp.

"Sorry. I had to evacuate my bladder." I stepped out and closed the door behind me, leaning against the wall.

"Interesting choice of words." A small smirk spread across his lips as he leaned next to me.

"Eghh....I try. Where's Letty?"

"Probably telling Grimmy about what a horrible person I am. I guess she thought I was some sort of welcome home gift? But that's not what I came here for." I didn't really like the way he was staring at me, and I started to pick at my cuticles.

"Well, what did you come here for?"

"You, of course." He shrugged like it wasn't a big deal, but I was uncomfortable. There wasn't enough alcohol in my system for me to accept his words without a bit of anxiety spreading in my chest.

"How sweet. You want a drink? I can make you something." I pushed myself from the wall and swiped my bottle from the coffee table on the way back to the kitchen.

"No thanks. I don't really drink anymore." I raised my eyebrows in surprise. An international popstar that didn't drink? It was almost unheard of.

"Am I allowed to ask why?"

"I make enough bad decisions sober. I don't really need to aid them with alcohol. The media would have a field day." If there was one thing I knew about the media, it was that they liked to spin shit to be worse than it really was. I'd been subjected to that on more than one occasion, and so had my father. There was a reason I tried my best to keep a low profile.

"Fair point. Well, if you don't mind. I'm going to drink." I smiled before taking a large gulp of whiskey.

"Nick's busting out the karaoke machine." Pixie walked into the kitchen, a look of fright on her face.

"I'm not drunk enough to participate." Karaoke with Nick was always ridiculous. There was a serious lack of musical talent in his flat, and I could only imagine the humiliating videos that would be surfacing on the internet before the week was over. This was going to be interesting.

"Alexa's going first." I choked on a laugh, tears springing to the corners of my eyes.

"Oh, I have to see this." I latched onto Harry's wrist and dragged him back to the main room where Grimmy was hooking the karaoke machine up to the flatscreen.

"Why do I get the feeling this is going to be a disaster?" Harry looked just as frightened as Pixie had.

"You've never been to Nick's karaoke parties?" He shook his head, pushing his hair away from his face. It was a gesture that shouldn't have been as attractive as it was, and I took a sip from my bottle again. My body was starting to feel warm, but I was nowhere near intoxicated, "Get ready for your ears to bleed." I grinned when Alexa picked the worst song she possibly could, I Have Nothing by Whitney Houston. The room erupted with laughter when she attempted to hit the first note. Harry had a horrified look on his face, which only made me laugh harder. Letty was on the floor in tears, holding her stomach while she rolled around. Pixie had her phone out, recording every second, and Nick looked like he regretted his decision. I wasn't familiar with everyone in the flat, but it was enough people to have a good time.

"I'm next!" A girl with long blonde hair jumped up, snatching the microphone from Alexa's hand when she was done. She'd picked an easier song, but her voice wasn't much better than Alexa's.

"Come with me to the kitchen." Letty was tugging on my hand, pulling me into the other room.

"I'll be back," I said to Harry before he disappeared from sight.

"I'm going to ask you a question, and I want you to be completely honest." I took a long pull from my bottle, which was a little over halfway gone. The effects were starting to take over, but I was still coherent.

"Go for it."

"Is there something going on with you and Harry?" I wasn't expecting the question nor did I understand why she was asking. As far as I was concerned, there wasn't anything that would make her think I was hiding a secret relationship from her.

"No. Why do you ask?"

"He turned me down quicker than Tag ran when Rachel told him she was pregnant." I had to laugh at her reference even though I could tell she was irritated. Only Letty would use a reference to Friends for a situation like this.

"That had nothing to do with me."

"That's where I think you're wrong. If you haven't noticed, he's been kind of glued to you since he got here." I rolled my eyes, pouring some punch in a cup. It wasn't wise to mix dark and light liquor, and I knew my body was going to hate me in the morning, but I did it anyway.

"Not really."

"Yes really. I mean, I don't blame him. You're hot, but I don't think he realizes that you're more emotionally fucked up than Chandler Bing." I rolled my eyes, downing two cups of punch.

"Enough with the Friends references. I've only known him for like a little more than a week. We haven't delved that deep into conversation yet, nor do I plan on it."

"Well, you have to tell him something. I'm positive he's going to fall in love with you before the month is over." I coughed awkwardly, shaking my head.

"Time to pull a Jamie Sullivan and tell him I have leukemia."

"He looks like a Landon Carter. He might try to marry you," she smirked, looping her arm through mine. We walked back into the living room where Grimmy was holding the microphone to his lips, singing a drunk rendition of a Bee Gees song.

"In the words of a broken heart, it's just emotion that's taken me over. Tied up in sorrow, lost in my soul. But if you don't come back, come home to me darling."

"Grimmy turn this shit off!" I yelled, successfully interrupting his turn. He glared at me before finishing the song. I clapped sarcastically, grinning at him.

"Since you want to be rude, you can go next." An evil grin spread across his face as he held the microphone out for me to take. I knew what he was trying to do. I didn't sing in front of people, but I had enough alcohol in my system that I didn't care.

"Fine." I snatched the microphone from his hand, scrolling through the long list of songs. I picked my favorite of all time, grinning when the music started.

Well sometimes I go out by myself
And I look across the water
And I think of all the things, what you're doing
And in my head I paint a picture

Since I've come on home,
When my body's been a mess
And I've missed your ginger hair
And the way you like to dress
Won't you come on over
Stop making a fool out of me
Why don't you come on over, Valerie?


I stuck my tongue at Nick over my shoulder, laughing at the shocked look on his face. Letty was staring at me like a proud parent, being the only person in the room that actually heard me sing before. I kept my talent hidden for a reason. If I wanted to be a part of the music industry, I knew who to go to, but the constant traveling and sleepless nights never appealed to me. I hated tour life, and I wouldn't subject myself to it if I didn't have to.

Did you have to go to jail,
Put your house on up for sale, did you get a good lawyer?
I hope you didn't catch a tan,
I hope you find the right man who'll fix it for ya
Are you shopping anywhere,
Changed the color of your hair, are you busy?
And did you have to pay that fine
That you were dodging all the time, are you still dizzy?

Since I've come on home,
When my body's been a mess
And I've missed your ginger hair
And the way you like to dress
Won't you come on over?
Stop making a fool out of me
Why don't you come on over, Valerie?


I dared a glance at Harry who was staring at me with wide eyes and a slacked jaw. I really hoped he wouldn't get the wrong idea from me.

Well sometimes I go out by myself
And I look across the water
And I think of all the things, what you're doing
And in my head I paint a picture

Since I've come on home,
When my body's been a mess
And I've missed your ginger hair
And the way you like to dress
Won't you come on over?
Stop making a fool out of me
Why don't you come on over, Valerie?

Valerie
Valerie
Valerie
Valerie
Valerie
Valerie
Valerie

Why don't you come over, Valerie?


I dropped the microphone and smirked at Grimmy.

"Take that douche bag. That's what you get for trying to embarrass me." I planted a kiss on his cheek and patted his head before I resumed my drinking. The room had gone silent, and I realized that everyone was looking at me, "What the fuck are you all staring at?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Bitch!" Grimmy put me in a headlock and almost body slammed me onto the couch. I giggled, trying to pry his arm from around my neck, "Why the fuck didn't you tell me you could sing?"

"It's not information I like to share. You thought I was going to be as horrible as the rest of you numb nuts. You were sadly mistaken! Music runs in my blood so HA!" I grinned, finally freeing myself from his grip, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I plan to get proper pissed while I watch the rest of you make fools out of yourselves." I finished off my bottle of Jack, grateful when my head didn't start spinning.

"No one wants to go after that!"

"Then have Harry sing. We all know he's got a set of pipes on him." I attempted to rest my arm on his shoulder, but I was too short and nearly toppled over. He caught me before I could hit the ground, and I gave him a grateful smile.

"I don't think that would be fair," he said, his deep voice swimming in my ears.

"Aislinn going wasn't fair. You're the only person that can kick her ass, so go!" Grimmy shoved the microphone into his hand, and I watched Harry roll his eyes before putting his arm over my shoulder. He was keeping me upright, and I could see Letty smirking at us from her spot on the couch. The beginning notes of Photograph by Ed Sheeran played, and I grinned widely, swaying to the beat.

"I love this song!" I squealed, knowing I was officially drunk. I closed my eyes, listening to the music. Before I knew it, the song was over, and I was stumbling into the kitchen for another drink. I filled my cup, taking long sips.

"Slow down, woman. I'm the one that's supposed to be getting hammered. Not you." Letty was grinning at me, sipping from her cup as well.

"I don't see the problem with both of us being pissed," I mumbled, leaning against the counter.

"How are we supposed to get home?"

"I live down the hall, Letty. We won't get lost, I promise," I giggled, filling my cup again.

"I think you've had enough." Long fingers pulled the drink from my hand, and I pouted as I looked up at a pair of green eyes.

"You're no fun."

"I know, but I'd rather you not lock yourself out again."

"You still lock yourself out?" Letty was laughing like Harry had said the funniest thing she'd heard in months, and I launched a piece of ice at her head, hitting her square between the eyes. I was surprised I could still aim, and I smirked triumphantly.

"See? I'm not that drunk. I hit her."

"You're not gonna feel well in a few minutes. Come on, let's get you home. Letty, are you coming?"

"Might as well. I'm sure Nick is gonna start kicking people out soon, and he as a friend, meaning I won't get to touch his dick tonight. Let's go." I didn't have to look at Harry to know that he was confused. I could tell by the way he froze with his arm around my waist.

"Yeah, they've fooled around. Nothing serious. They've never had sex, though not for lack of trying. Grimmy just really doesn't like vagina. You'd probably have to drug him to get him to shag a woman." Harry chuckled as he guided me back into the living room.

"Nick, I'm taking the girls home. I ring you soon."

"Alright! You heard him. Everybody out!" Grimmy was grinning and dragging his mystery guy to his room before we'd even made it out the front door. Five minutes later, I was staring down the business end of the toilet.

"What the hell am I doing in here?" I grumbled, pushing myself so that I was standing up.

"I thought you were getting sick. I got you some water." I took the glass from him, sipping slowly.

"Thanks, but I'm not sick." I set the glass on the counter and stumbled to my room. I stripped out of the jeans and top that I was wearing, collapsing onto my bed in my underwear. My body was hot, and the cool sheets felt wonderful against my skin.

"Do you need anything else? I could make you something to eat. Shit! I'm sorry." I opened my eyes, staring at a flustered Harry while he covered his face. I stifled a giggle and sat up, running my fingers through my hair.

"Calm down, Harry. They're just boobs." I pulled a shirt from my dresser, sliding the soft material over my head, "You can uncover your eyes now. I'm decent." He peeked through his fingers to make sure that I wasn't lying and dropped his hands.

"Are you sure you're alright? I can stay if you need me to."

"Harry, go home. I've been worse, trust me. I can still walk, which is always a good sign." I grinned and walked over to him, pressing a kiss to the corner of his mouth, "I'm fine. Get out." I pushed him toward the front door, getting ready to shut it behind him.

"Call me if you need something, yeah?"

"Coincidentally, I don't have your number. I'll get it from Nick or something if I need to. Goodnight Harry." He sighed, shaking his head at me and mumbling something to himself.

"Goodnight, Aislinn."