For Your Eyes Only

Don't Dream It's Over

"How are you not dying right now? You drank more than I did," Colette whined, dropping her head onto the marble counter. I poured a mug of coffee and set it in front of her, finishing up my breakfast. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't feel like complete shit, and I knew it was thanks to Harry for giving me medicine and water before I crashed. I reminded myself to give him a sober thank you the next time I saw him.

"Happy accident. I gotta go to work. I'll see you in a few hours. Try not to vomit all over the place. If you do, clean it before I get back. Love you, bitch." I put my dishes in the sink and grabbed my keys, walking to the front door. I pushed my arms into my coat and pulled the door open. Harry was standing on the other side, fist raised like he was getting ready to knock. I raised an eyebrow at him, closing the door behind me.

"Good. You're alive." He gave me a soft smile while I stood there confused.

"You came here just to check if I was alive?"

"No. Nick needs help with something. I just decided to stop by and see how you were doing."

"That's nice of you. I'm alright, and thank you for last night. Lord knows what would have happened if you weren't there." I giggled to myself knowing Colette and I would have gotten into a whirlwind of shit. That was just the way we worked. Harry saved us.

"You're welcome. You heading out?"

"Yes. I actually have to go to work. You're welcome to come with. I'm 95% sure Nick called you over to help him clean, and that's the last thing you want. He didn't ask me because he knows that I would've called him an idiot and told him to do it himself. Get out while you can." I pushed my hair from my eyes, shrugging my shoulders. I made my way to the elevators, laughing to myself when I heard footsteps following me.

"Are you sure it's okay to go to work with you?"

"Yeah. My boss isn't a heinous bitch or anything. I think you might enjoy yourself. I always do." The more I thought about it, the more I hoped it wasn't a horrible idea. I could never convince my dad to come to work with me, but I understood his standpoint.

"So are we getting our hands dirty today?" I let out an obnoxious laugh, shaking my head.

"Not even close, unless you count the dust we might encounter. Don't worry. Your outfit won't get ruined." I walked toward my car, hitting the button to unlock it. Harry beat me to the door, pulling the handle open for me, "Thank you?" I furrowed my eyebrows before sliding into the driver's seat. I buckled my seat belt as he got into the car. I pulled out of the garage, following my familiar route to a building that I had a special bond with.

"Why aren't we taking my car? I'm sorry. I'm not used to being in the passenger's seat."

"You car is easily recognized, and I'd rather not be responsible for you getting caught out today. Trust me, being in my car is better for the both of us." I let him control the radio as I drove through the streets of London. I was surprised that the traffic wasn't completely horrible, but I'd actually managed to get up on time. Had I slept in for another 30 minutes like I wanted to, I would hit the lunch rush and be stuck. I pulled into the back lot of the building, shutting the car off.

"Where are we?"

"Do you trust me?" Nervousness settled in my stomach when I thought about how he would react once he knew where we were.

"Yes." He responded without hesitation, which surprised me a little. The words that would have left my mouth were hell no, but I really didn't trust anyone. Harry was a completely different.

"I'll explain when we get inside." My hands started to shake as we walked to the back door. I turned the knob, yanking it open. The familiar smell of disinfectant filled my nostrils. I probably looked sick under the fluorescent lights, but I always avoided wearing makeup to work. All the doors were closed, but I could hear the soft sounds of a tv coming from the common area. I walked up to the nurses station, smiling at Angela.

"Morning, Aislinn. They're all ready for you. It's a good day." She grinned, sliding the keys across the counter.

"Thanks Angie." I grabbed the keys and pulled Harry down the hallway. I could see the confused look on his face.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on now?"

"This is a rehabilitation center for teens. Girls with anorexia, bulimia, pain killer addictions, self-harm...they come here. I'm a firm believer in music and art therapy. I come here a few days out of the week and sing to the girls. I thought you'd be a nice surprise for them, but if you want me to call Nick and tell him to come get you I understand." I was starting to realize how much of a mistake this was. I hadn't even known him for a month. He probably thought I was a psycho.

"No. I want to be here with you." I nodded once, unlocking the door to the music room. There were seven girls, all smiling at me, but one was missing.

"Hey, Ash." Marie was the first one to hug me. Physical contact was frowned upon, but the nurse that was standing in the corner wasn't paying attention. I wrapped my arms around her, patting her back.

"Hey. Where's Hazel?" The look of sadness on Marie's face told me everything that I needed to know. Hazel was the girl that needed the most help. She was always struggling to smile, but she tried for me.

"She tried to kill herself a few nights ago. Amelia won't let her out of our room. She's sedated and restrained." It broke my heart, and I knew what I was about to do was going to be a stretch, but I had to try.

"Okay girls. This is Harry. Please be nice to him. I'll be right back." I made my way towards the door, but finger wrapped around my wrist, preventing me from moving.

"Where are you going?" Harry asked.

"I need to get Hazel in here. I'll be back soon, I promise. Just talk to them. Your face is distraction enough. They won't even notice that I'm gone." I gave him an encouraging smile and slipped out of the room, shutting the door behind me. I walked back to the nurses station where Angela was typing something into one of the computers, "Where's Amelia?" I asked, leaning my elbows on the counter.

"In Hazel's room. I know you want her out, but I don't think she's going to go for it, Ash."

"I have to try." Hazel needed a little light in her life. She had shitty parents that never came to see her. It was no wonder why she hadn't gotten better yet. She didn't have anyone in her corner. The nurses never cared much. They only did their jobs. She was alone, and I would help anyway I could because I knew what that felt like. I walked to the end of the hall, stopping in front of Hazel and Marie's door. It was slightly open, and I could see Amelia inside trying to feed a restrained Hazel. I knocked on the door frame, offering a small smile.

"Hello, Aislinn. I'm sorry, but Hazel isn't allowed visitors." I kept my eyes focused on the small girl who was looking at me with a shameful expression. She thought I was going to be mad at her.

"Just let me talk to her." Amelia opened her mouth to protest, and she had every right to, but she wouldn't. She knew I was good with the girls.

"You have five minutes." She walked out but left the door wide open. I took Amelia's seat, slipping my fingers into Hazel's.

"If I take the restraints off, will you try to hurt yourself?" I asked, my voice quiet. She shook her head, tears running down her cheeks. I glanced at the door before freeing her wrists and ankles. She sat up, her head hanging as she cried. I stared at the soiled bandages on her arms, knowing the wounds underneath were fresh. Her body shook as she sobbed, and I bent down so I was eye level with her.

"I'm sorry, Ash. I'm so sorry. It just got so bad." She threw her arms around my neck, crying into my shoulder.

"Shhh...it's okay. I understand." I rubbed her back and waited for her to finish crying. I glanced at the bowl of soup that was getting cold on her bedside table. Refusing food wasn't going to get her anywhere, "I have someone here with me, and I'd really like for you to meet him, but you have to promise me that you're going to eat. I can't help you if you can't help yourself, Hazel." She nodded, wiping at her cheeks.

"I promise I'll eat." I stood, locking my fingers with hers. I pulled her from the room, going to stand in front of Amelia.

"She promises that she's going to eat. Please let me take her to the music room. She needs this," I pleaded, hoping Amelia could find it in her heart to say okay. She was the most strict out of all the nurses, but she meant well.

"Aislinn, if she doesn't eat--"

"I know. She will." I pulled Hazel down the hallway before Amelia could change her mind, walking back into the music room. The girls were laughing at something Harry said, and I liked the smile on his face. He didn't look as nervous as when we first walked in.

"Thank you." I placed my hand on his shoulder, giving him a grateful smile. He glanced behind me at Hazel, his gaze falling to her arms. She was scratching at the bandages, her eyes on the floor.

"Hazel, this is Harry." She looked up, her eyes falling on the boy standing next to me.

"Hello," he said, offering her a wide smile.

"Hi." Her voice was small, her cheeks tinged with pink. I recognized the look she had on her face. She thought Harry was cute. I giggled, leading her over to an empty chair. I grabbed the guitar from the corner of the room and sat down on the floor. Harry struggled to sit next to me, and I tried my best to refrain from snickering.

"Don't rip your pants. That's too much excitement for the girls to handle," I muttered, setting the guitar in my lap.

"Shut up," he grumbled, adjusting himself so that he was comfortable. I plucked mindlessly at the strings, trying to think of an appropriate song. I smiled as Hazel's favorite was the first to enter my mind.

"Harry, would you like to help me today?" I asked, hoping he would agree.

"Uh, sure, but I don't know what you're singing."

"You will. Everyone knows this song." I played the beginning chords, watching Hazel's face lit up when she figured it out.

There is freedom within
there is freedom without
Try to catch a deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead
many battles are lost
But you'll never see the end of the road
While you're traveling with me


I smiled at the girls rocking to the music. This is what made me feel good, being able to brighten someone's day, even if it was just for a little bit. For the few hours that I was here, these girls felt better. When I glanced over at Harry, he was smiling too, but he was smiling at me.

Hey now, hey now
Don't dream it's over
Hey now, hey now
When the world comes in
They come, they come
To build a wall between us
We know they won't win


Harry's voice surprised me, despite the fact that I'd heard it before. The deep tone gave me a small shiver, and I could see the girls freaking out as well.

Now I'm towing my car
there's a hole in the roof
my possessions are causing me suspicion but there's no proof
in the paper today
tales of war and of waste
but you turn right over to the T.V. page


I could see Hazel crying out of the corner of my eyes. I wouldn't have much time to talk to her personally since she wasn't allowed visitors, but I made a plan to talk to her when I could. She needed someone. She needed me.

Hey now, hey now
Don't dream it's over
Hey now, hey now
When the world comes in
They come, they come
To build a wall between us
We know they won't win


I sang the chorus directly to her because I knew she needed it, and I meant every word. I wasn't normally the cliche person that swore things would get better, but I needed to be for her because she needed to get better. I could see that she was falling apart, and I didn't want it to happen to her.

Now I'm walking again
to the beat of a drum
And I'm counting the steps to the door of your heart
Only shadows ahead
barely clearing the roof
Get to know the feeling of liberation and relief

Hey now, Hey now
Don't dream it's over
Hey now, Hey now
When the world comes in
They come, they come
To build a wall between us
You know they won't win

Don't let them win
Hey now, Hey now

Hey now, Hey now

Hey now, Hey now
Don't let them win

They come, They come
Don't let them win

Hey now, Hey now (yeah)

Hey now, Hey now


The girls clapped, shouting requests at me for the next song I should sing. I turned to Harry, raising my eyebrows at him.

"How was that?" I asked, smiling at the happy look on his face.

"You're amazing."