‹ Prequel: Keep It Kasual

Family Goals

Chapter 2

*September 25th, 2015 Kallie's POV*

Again I barely made it into the bathroom before tossing my cookies. This was the third time today and it was only 9 am! After brushing my teeth again and cleaning myself up I went hunting for the cause of this round. I had been sensitive to certain smells lately and I wasn't quite sure why. I went back out to the kitchen and thanked my lucky stars that Kris had taken Alex to daycare as it gave me a chance to figure out what was going on. I picked up my coffee mug and oh god not again... I dashed back to the bathroom and was lucky enough not to actually vomit, just dry heave. On second thought that might be worse.

Once I was back in the kitchen I dumped the coffee. I was not going to chance it again. I was able to drink the orange juice we had so I got a big glass of it. I went into my office to do some work and ended up looking at sites that list nausea causes. No one else in the house was ill, I hadn't had any under-cooked meals in the last week, basically everything I looked at was negative. I popped a peppermint candy and started looking deeper into these websites. Finally I found one that was what I was feeling. Sensitive to smells, tender in the breast, vomiting at all hours for no real reason... I gulped as I read the last sentence. CONGRATULATIONS YOU MIGHT BE PREGNANT!

Of course that's when Kris came back into the house and I realized I had spent hours looking this up. "Good afternoon ma belle!" He sang through the house. As he came in I looked up at him and watched his expression changed from happy to worried. "What's wrong?"

I pointed to the computer in front of me and he came around. I heard him gasp and then take a big breath. "Holy... That's would explain things no?" He pulled me out of my work chair and into his lap in the big comfy chair I had in there. "How do we want to do this? Are we happy or not?"

I rested my head on his shoulder and sighed heavily. "I want to know for sure first." I think I was mostly in shock. We hadn't been really trying at all. Kris pulled my head to his shoulder and held me.

"And if we truly are? What then?" He asked quietly.

A little hysterically I laughed. "We get to tell Alex he's gonna be a big brother and start gathering nursery stuff." I side eyed him. "I think a home test first and if that's positive I call the doctor." He kissed my shoulder and let go of me.

He stood both of us up. "Then let us go find out before we need to get Alex from daycare." He took my hand and lead me back out into the great room. He got us both into outerwear and into his car. I was clearly shocky as I let him lead me through everything.

Of course as soon as we got home from running those errands, including picking up Alex, there was no time to take a test right then. There was dinner to make and Alex to talk to about his day. It wasn’t until I was getting into bed, being tired more often was another sign of early pregnancy, that I even remembered that we had the tests. I was so tired by then that I put them off until morning.

**Sept. 26th, 2015**

Today was a game day, preseason but still a game day. Kris and Alex were up and out the door on time, but I was dragging. When I finally got myself up I found a test waiting for me near the toilet. I didn’t blame him, I was antsy about it too. Opening the box I was struck with nerves, this could potentially change our idyllic life. I loved our routine now and being pregnant might throw a wrench into it.

Before I could talk myself out of this, I did the test. I set it on the tank behind me so I wouldn’t obsess over it and began the rest of my morning routine. After showering and brushing my teeth I came back to the toilet and looked at the test. It was clear, the Clearblue Easy Digital was saying that I was pregnant. I thought back to what we had been doing in the past few weeks and sighed. We had been moving back to Pittsburgh.

I called the Ob/Gyn I had found here and explained what I was feeling and the test. The nurse put me on hold for Dr. Waltner-Toews. “Kalista, I hear that you think you might be pregnant.”

My voice shook as I answered her. “Yeah, it’s kind of a big shock.” I proceeded to tell her how I had been feeling and about the test. “I don’t know what to do from here. We weren’t expecting things to move so fast.”

Dr. T just chuckled. “First thing, relax. In a little while I’ll give you back to the front desk and get you in for your first official appointment. Next, wait a day or so and take another home test. Just to confirm that it wasn’t a faulty test, which doesn’t happen often but it does happen. To be safe start taking a good prenatal vitamin. If you are pregnant it might help with some of your symptoms and if you aren’t it won’t hurt you at all.”

I was pulling out my prenatal vitamins while we spoke. “Well I had already been taking prenatals, we’ve been casually trying since our wedding.”

“That’s good, keep taking those. It sounds like you’re doing everything you can for right now. I know you exercise and eat well already, keep doing what you can. If the nausea or other symptoms get too bad then either call or ask one of the other moms you know what might help.” Did I mention how much I loved Dr. T? She knew who we all were and yet never made us feel like we were getting special treatment. “If your son isn’t already trained, I would consider doing so.”

I laughed. “Oh that ship has sailed. It’s the binky he refuses to give up right now, but I’m weaning him off of it. Thanks for calming me down. I know you’re super busy normally.”

Dr. T laughed at me. “Please, this was the most exciting thing I’ve had to deal with today. I know you’re a little crunchier than most of my mom's so I would suggest that before you use a home remedy for something, just give me a call.”

I sighed. I knew I was crunchier than most of the other Pens gals. “You’ve already told me that freezing electrolyte drinks into ice cubes is fine so I think I’m good for right now. I’ll get that appointment scheduled and have a list of questions when I see you in a few weeks.”

“Oh and I have read a new study and am doing a census on my own patients for its validity, would you mind being a part of that?” Of course I didn’t mind, especially when she explained what I should look up. We said our temporary goodbyes and I made my first official appointment for next week on the 30th.

The next thing I did was hide my test from what I knew would be prying eyes. While I did so, I called my favorite wag. “Estelle non! Mommy is on the phone.”

Uh oh, this sounded not good. “Should I have just come over?” I asked carefully. I knew that being a big sister was a huge adjustment for Estelle and might be for Alex as well.

“Please, someone does not want to give me a moment's peace.” I chuckled and ran down the block. We hugged as I came into the Fleury household. “Thank you, now what did you want to talk about?”

I couldn’t contain my giggle. I held out the test to her while grinning like a mad woman. As she took it, I picked up Estelle to give her some much needed time. “You think my boys will like this news?” I asked as I moved further into the house. Vero was still standing by the door.

“Scarwett sleeping.” She pointed to her sleeping infant sister. I sat down. “Where Alex?”

I smiled. “Alex is at daycare. We will all go to the game together tonight, ok?” By now Vero had processed what the stick in her hand meant and squeaked. “Oh, I think your mommy figured out what I handed her.” Estelle giggled.

“No… tell me this doesn’t mean what I think it does?” Vero said as she came over to the couch.

I grinned. “I’ve been feeling odd the last week or so so I went looking online. Found a few signs and we got a couple tests. Kris doesn’t even know for sure.” I tickled Estelle and made my next point. “Alex is going to be a big brother!”

Vero squealed in joy. “That is wonderful! You have to tell him tonight! After the game.” Estelle was happy, but I wasn’t sure if she knew why really.

We planned on how to tell all of the guys at once. I didn’t believe the superstition that telling people would mean I would lose the baby. Alex normally was taking his smallest backpack with stuff in it to keep him occupied when he wasn’t watching the game. 2 Star Wars books (one for the alphabet and the other for numbers), his favorite lovey and stuffy (both otters), his Klean Kanteen and I packed his newest jersey so he wouldn’t be too warm on the ride over.

I had been looking for a generic fuel cell and paci pod since our wedding, just so I could tell Kris when the time came. I used those tonight. I attached them together and inside the fuel cell I put the tiniest 3rd jersey I could find and the smallest Avent bottle I had ever seen, 2 ounces. I put a clear pacifier into the paci pod. “Think I can sneak this into the locker room between the start of the third and the end of the game?”

“I think we can find a way to make that happen. Why then though?” By now Scarlett was waking and Vero was getting ready to feed her.

I smiled. “Then the whole team will find out and even if the game ends badly, they will have good news waiting.” We giggled and soon enough Marc-Andre and Kris were coming through the door with Alex in tow.

“Dey are doing it again.” Flower said carefully as they came into the living room. “Why do our wives like to gossip so much?”

“We are _not_ gossiping. We’re discussing how your family has changed since Scarlett joined you. How Estelle has handled being a big sister and all that.” Vero and I looked at each other like he was insulting us. Alex came over and laid his head on my shoulder. “Do you like Scarlett mon loutre?” He nodded sleepily, boy was he ready for his nap.

“She wittle baby, no like me and ‘Telle.” He said solemnly. “Me and ‘Telle big kids.”

Kris came over and gave him a kiss on his forehead. “You are right Alexander. You and Estelle are big kids, but even big kids need rest. There is hockey tonight.” Alex looked up and lifted his arms up in entreatment. “Come, all of us need rest. Big kids, babies, mamas and papas alike.”

Much later, near the end of the third in fact, there was a short knock on the family room door. Jon Taglianetti was standing on the other side. “Um, I got told to come escort someone to the room to put a place a surprise.” I smiled and nodded at Vero.

“Come on Jon, This game might not be a great one, but the news certainly is.” I knew that Kris and Flower were in the press box but it wasn’t going to stop me from enjoying telling the extended family. We got to the room at roughly the same time as those in the press box did. Kris looked at me oddly and then around for Alex. “He’s with the girls.” The horn sounded and the place was quiet, well I was now glad I had a plan. This would pick their spirits up.

I spoke quietly with Michelle before Coach Johnston came in to talk to them about the game. “Michelle, can I have a couple minutes before the press comes in?” She was startled to see me but pulled me aside to find out why. I showed her the bag I had stuffed into my purse and then unzipped it. On top was the test I had taken this morning.

She chuckled and smiled, I then shoved it to the bottom of the bag. “That’s a good reason. I can’t give you a lot of time but at least some to give that to daddy.” Coach Mike was wrapping up things now which was awesome for me. Before the guys could get too relaxed or down on themselves, Michelle took control. “Ok guys, you know the media will be coming in soon and you know who’s up for interviews. However, Kalista has asked for a couple minutes before then.”

I stepped up, careful not to hit the logo, and waved. “Hi guys. Wish we could win them all but at least this is preseason. Kris come here.” I motioned for him and he was quickly next to me. I took a deep breath and found the words. “Some of the guys know that we’ve been together for a couple years now, some don’t. However there is no one I would rather share the news I got this morning than them.” I pulled out the fuel cell and handed it to my husband. “Open it.”

Kris was hopeful but wary. Opening the bag he found first the jersey. He took it out and saw how small it was and gasped. Then the bottle came out and he began to grin. When he found the test he was laughing. He grabbed me up and swung me around. “This is great!” He tossed the bag and contents at Flower who gawked and the began to laugh.

“You weren’t talking about how our family had changed, you were looking for tip for how _yours_ is going to change!” The room was now even more confused. “She’s pregnant!” Flower shouted which gave them all the lift I knew it would.

When we were finally curled up in bed after getting home Kris finally sighed the sigh of the worried. “What did the doctor say?” I told him everything and felt him relax with every positive word. “That was a great way to make sure everyone knew. Thank you beloved.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, here's an enlightening chapter for you... Hope you all enjoyed it. I wrote this MONTHS ago and _finally_ was able to post it.

Here is how Alex find out about being a big brother.

This is what Kallie gives Kris in the locker room.

Of course I already have a Pinterest board for this little one. You can find it HERE.

As usual all questions, comments and praise/criticism is welcome!