Misery

Prologue

Exiting the court house, Eliza wondered if she would ever grow weary of the crowds of people cheering and booing her at the same time. Then as a shirtless man screamed, "I love you, Eliza Law!" she knew she wouldn't. The feeling of her victory being noticed by thousands of people was just too much to pass up. And of course the salary helped a lot. And the neigh sayers who thought of her profession as workings of the devil? Well fuck them, their hatred just made her die hard fans support her more.

Just by being who she was and doing what she did, Eliza was transcending sexist stereotypes and reinforcing feminist values. Plus she was keeping horrible people out of jail and placating society that was so obsessed with reality tv shows and movies about leagues of superheroes.

Yes, being a lawyer for stupid and privileged celebrities was a life she never wanted to give up.

Image


Finnegan Law loved being a house husband. He'd never been good at anything when he was younger. He'd been average in his primary school years, then when he'd gotten to secondary school he'd totally flunked out because he'd slacked off and skipped school too many times to even be considered for graduation. He would have ended up a homeless drug addict if it weren't for Eliza. He'd met her purely by chance when he'd crashed his clunky rust bucked of a car into her sleek Camaro and instead of pressing charges and demanding an exchange of insurance information that he didn't have, Eliza simply said; "You're not too bad looking. Ditch the crap car, and come have a coffee with me."

Technically it had been some sort of weird blackmail/prostitution arrangement, but three years later they had gotten married. Finnegan still wasn't quite sure why Eliza had married him, seeing as she was an up and coming soon to be hot shot lawyer back then, but anytime he inquired on the matter, she'd simply said "I can't give you all the answers, Finn." So he'd just assumed it was because of his rugged good looks. But he wasn't a complete parasite, so he'd kept the house clean, and brushed up on his cooking skills.

In the end though, Finnegan enjoyed his stress free and laid back lifestyle with his wife who loved him for...Something.

Image


The Law's life was perfect. The epitome of a modern lifestyle. But it was lacking one tiny detail.

Children.

Finnegan didn't care much for kids, he was a kid himself really. In spirit of course, so he couldn't imagine himself taking care of a kid or even making decisions based on a kid's needs. As for Eliza, kids weren't her forte. Plus, she hated them. They were snotty, dirty little weirdos that cried 24/7...Okay so not unlike most celebrities. But at least after a few weeks, she got to say goodbye to those guys. Kids were forever.

Like a lifetime jail sentence.