Status: <3

Fire in My Eyes

On The Edge

I rounded the corner, coffee in hand. I was already running late for work as it was and if these people on the street didn't learn to pick up their feet and walk we were going to have serious issues. I walked two blocks and waited at the cross walk. I had my ear phones in listening to whatever was playing on my spotify. That's when I felt a burning sensation running down my entire front end.

"Are you kidding me." I said yanking out my ear phones looking up. His eyes pierced through my soul immediately.

"I am so sorry! I swear, I'll buy you a new... Whatever that is if you want. I seriously cannot believe I did that."

"No, no it's fine. I'm just... I have to get to work. Don't worry about it." I said stepping off the curb walking across the street. "And by the way, it's scrubs." I said smiling as I finished my walk to work. In this part of town, we didn't have strangers. It was everyone knew everyone's name. But who the hell is he?

I walked into work, grabbing my spare scrubs out of my bag. When you're a nurse, you learn to have at least one back up cause who knows what you'll get on you before the end of the day. I got lucky. Straight out of nursing school I was offered a job at a pediatric office. I didn't have to worry about the twelve hour shifts in a hospital watching people really suffer. My heart wouldn't handle that very well. Besides, the worst thing I see every day is a crying child due to shots of fever.

"What's with the smile. It hasn't left your face since you got here this morning." Jess asked as we sat down for our lunch break.

"I dunno. I was walking to work and some guy spilled his coffee all over me and when I looked up and saw his face I just.. I dunno. It's like a fire ran through me and I can't put it out."

"Well, who was he?"

"I have no freaking clue Jess! I've never seen him around here before." I said looking down wishing I had at the very least gotten his name.

"Well, what did he look like. I'm not from this part of Maryland either ya know. I live like fourty minutes away on the other end of Towson."

I dunno. Kinda tall ish. Shaggy brown hair. REALLY dark brown eyes. Really skinny. Lots of tattoos. Facial stubble."

"You just described the main percentage of the male population. What else."

"Uhm.. Well I think he's atleast from Maryland, maybe even Towson just a different area. He seemed to know where he was going. And he was with a group of like three guys."

"No. No. No. Oh god. Do you know who's home?"

"Uhm no."

Jess pulled out her phone pulling up her instagram flipping her phone around. "Is this him?"

"Yes! Yes! That's him. Who is he?!"

"I went to high school with him. His name is Alex. He's a 'rockstar'. He's from here but I refuse to let you get caught up on him. He's no good for you Kayley."

I felt my whole body go numb. The way he looked at me. The way I reacted. I've never had such a strong reaction to anyone before. Ever. I wasn't that type of girl. When it came to dating I had the mentality that when Mr. Right came along, I'd be so fixated and focused on that versus my parting life style. I'd have no desire to go out and party unless he was with me. By my side. My gut told me to listen to Jess. She obviously knew more than I did, but my heart said to find him. Get to know him. Maybe he's changed since his high school days. Most people do.

I watched as the minute hand on my watch ticked down the next minute until my weekend began. The longest sixty seconds of my week, every week. I grabbed my bag, my phone, and Jess as we walked to our usual dinner spot. Every Friday we went to this little family owned diner a few blocks from the office. We sat down and ordered our usual food.

"So, what are you going to do about Alex?" She asked sipping her milkshake.

"Follow my heart. I know you don't want me to Jess, but I feel like I have to find him. At least get to know him. Maybe I'll learn he isn't the right guy for me. But I think fate cause him to spill his coffee all over me this morning." I said looking around the diner. Part of me hoping he'd be here, the other part of me didn't want him to be here and over hear me and Jess talking about him. If there was one thing I knew, it was that I was going to try to find him again. See if hes nearly as bad as Jess says.