Status: Daily Update

The Resistance

Will You Take Me with You?

‘Dr. Death Defying? Killjoy zone 6 here. over.’ I said into the CB radio. A low buzz came from the machine and yet no answer.

We had been trying to contact basecamp for a few minutes now. Normally dr. DD wouldn’t leave his post during the day and here we were with no answer.

I sat in the driver's seat with my legs still outside the vehicle while Party Poison leaned against the open door. I felt a small beam of sweat fall from my forehead. The sun stood in the middle of the sky, burning brighter than ever.

‘Nothing yet? Try to contact other zones.’ Party said with a desperate tone. He pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to me. I gratefully took it and swiped the sweat of my face.

This was odd.

We were all thinking it but didn’t dare to say. Something was definitely not right.

‘Zone 1 to 5, anyone copy. Over.’ I said while pressing the button on the speaker.

We had been hiding in the desert for 5 years now and by that time the zones were created. Closest to Battery City was zone 1 and it followed up to zone 6. Every zone had its leader, who yet again had people with him on the road.

I had been a part of Party’s gang for about 3 years now, Jet and Kid had been longer.

‘I repeat, zone 1 to 5. Anyone copy. Over.’

The minutes were starting to feel like hours, dragging on. I saw Jet Star pacing next to the car, silently talking to himself. We waited desperately for an answer, any leader from any zone would do.

There came a crackling noise out of the speakers.

‘Zone 2 copy. over.’ A feminine voice said. We all moved closer and let out a relieved laugh. Zone 2 was controlled by Conventional Weapons, like Party controlled our zone. It was also the zone where basecamp was set up. Which meant everything had to be okay.

‘Thank God Weapons, what is going on? Why can’t we contact the base?’ I said relieved someone was still out there answering.

‘Bl/ind must have found our frequency. We’re on our way to the base now. Zone 3 and 5 have left already. over.’

‘We’ll be there in a few hours. over and out.’ I heard myself say without consulting Party. When I looked over he quickly nodded his head in agreement. He signed to the other to jump into the car so we could leave.

I wanted to put back the speaker when suddenly a last reply came.

‘Keep your eyes open. over and out.’ With those words I sat myself down and started the engine. When the car roared to life, I heard Kid and Jet talking in the back.

‘It will be fine Jet.’

‘He’s my brother, he has to be fine.’

I put the car in first gear and left to zone 5. It would take a few hours to get back to basecamp but something told me we would be there much sooner than the other times.

-------

It was noon when we finally entered zone 2.

It was silent in the car which was an odd thing. Normally the radio would be blaring and we would be singing to whatever song dr. DD played, this time there was no such thing as the Look, Alive radio station.

I tried to control my breathing, I didn’t want Party to know I had been nervous the entire ride. However, he kept looking over at me and smiling as some kind of reassurance that everything would indeed be alright.

It calmed me for a moment but once my eyes were back on the road I could feel my heart pick up a pace. My palms were sweating so much on the steering wheel that I had to rub them on my pants every once and awhile.

When suddenly a weird smell entered my nostrils. It was very distinct and recognizable sent. I had smelled it many times before but it never a good sign. Something was burning, something big.

The closer we got the basecamp, the darker the sky got. It was obvious and yet we did not say a word to one another. Afraid that talking about it would make it even more real.

About five minutes away, the sky was completely grey and little black specks fell onto our faces.

Ash.

My entire body was shaking when I saw the base come into view. I felt myself speeding up the car while my grip tightened on the steering wheel.

‘Holy Mother of God.’
♠ ♠ ♠
There you go, comments are always welcome!

xoxo weapons