Sequel: Everlasting

Evermore

xii.

Feburary 17th, 1782 ;

Mary picked at the food in front of her, the stew was always her favorite except for that moment. Her mind was elsewhere; drifting to when she would hear back from Jonathan and what he would say in reply.

"Why are you not eating, dear?" William asked, "Your mother says you have been out of sorts as of late." Usually dinners were silent affairs; none of the family saying anything so it was shocking to hear the male head of household say anything at all.

"I will be fine," Mary said in reply, knowing that eventually she would be. Just like all the other girls her age who were arranged to marry someone they did not love; the shock and heartache would fade and she would come to an internal understanding.

Mary looked up from her food; her mother and sister pausing, food halfway to their mouths to look to her. Obviously curious as to how the conversation would conspire.

Her father dabbed his chin with a cream colored napkin nonchalantly but watched her with knowing eyes, "Your mother has confided in me her concerns about you."

"There is nothing to be concerned about," Mary insisted, surprised that her mother had done so. Sofia usually kept her concerns from her husband and dealt with them separately; most definitely where their two unmarried daughters were concerned.

"She says you are discontent with our choice in a husband for you."

"Father I am fine. I am marrying Harold, the two of you do not have to be concerned."

"What concerns me Mary, is that she told me you are supposedly in love with another man, per your own admission," the words rocked Mary harder, like a slap in her face. "I have no inkling who this man is but whatever relationship you have with him must stop this instant. I will not have you ruining yourself-- this family!-- over some downtrodden hoodlum."

"Father—"

"No excuses, daughter. Listen well Mary, I will uphold your mother’s threat to the very letter if you have jeopardized your engagement by letting some scoundrel ruin you." The words were fierce and Mary knew her father would go through with the empty threat her mother had issued and no doubt take joy in making an example of her for the youngest daughter. "Now,” the words were gentler now, the harsher tones vanishing just as quickly as they appeared, “I know all young girls get nervous at the thought of marriage, your mother even did but you must keep in mind how important this is for us... For you. This marriage to Harold is the best offer we will receive for your hand and I want whatever will be best for you.”

Mary frowned, wanting to put an end to everything. All their assumptions and shout out at her father that Jonathan was not as plain as he assumed. That he was so much more than they could ever hope for in a match for their middle daughter. But Mary held her tongue, ignoring the urgent pleas from her heart to reveal it all to her family, "I know, Father and I promise you I have not, and will not, do anything to allow myself to be ruined. I will not dishonor our family."

William looked please as he gave his daughter a nod, "Good. Very good, then. I am happy you understand why your mother and I were concerned."

Mary nodded and asked, "May I please be excused father? I am feeling a bit overheated. I think I will step outside and get some fresh air."

"Of course dear," he stated his demeanor becoming as disinterested as usual as silence fell over the table.

Mary looked to her mother, expecting at least a word to slip from her lips but nothing came from either of the other women at the table. Both looked down at their plates, paying Mary no mind as she stood from the table and left the dining room.